The USFL made the late 80s/early 90s Bills successful

timstep

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...-was-to-buffalo

A snippet:

Bills fans despised the USFL for harboring Kelly and luring away star running back Joe Cribbs, yet no other team benefited more from the USFL than the Bills did.

The man who built their Super Bowl teams (Bill Polian), his eventual replacement (John Butler) and the man who coached them (Marv Levy) all came from the Chicago Blitz. Three-time Pro Bowl center Kent Hull was undrafted out of college, but proved himself with the New Jersey Generals.

I'm trying to remember all players who spent time in the USFL and end up on the Bills. Besides Kelly and Hull, there was Trumaine Johnson, Mickey Sutton, Walter Broughton, Dwight Drane, Ray Bentley...

Besides a few fill-in's during the '87 strike, I can't remember anyone else. Where there more?

Good list there already!

The first year we got Lofton (late season acquisiton) his first football card as a Bill was actually Trumain Johnson. I believe it was Fleer. They quickly made the change, but if you have it, it's unique and valuable.

In 2 years, we went from doormat to Super Bowl Power for nearly a decade.

Thanks USFL!

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...-was-to-buffalo

A snippet:

Bills fans despised the USFL for harboring Kelly and luring away star running back Joe Cribbs, yet no other team benefited more from the USFL than the Bills did.

The man who built their Super Bowl teams (Bill Polian), his eventual replacement (John Butler) and the man who coached them (Marv Levy) all came from the Chicago Blitz. Three-time Pro Bowl center Kent Hull was undrafted out of college, but proved himself with the New Jersey Generals.

I'm trying to remember all players who spent time in the USFL and end up on the Bills. Besides Kelly and Hull, there was Trumaine Johnson, Mickey Sutton, Walter Broughton, Dwight Drane, Ray Bentley...

Besides a few fill-in's during the '87 strike, I can't remember anyone else. Where there more?

Scott Norwood played for the Birmingham Stallions.

You might want to read the article.

That point is made ... and it's a good thing you didn't have Kelly a couple years earlier.

Eh. Might have made '84 and '85 a little more watchable. Then again, as you pointed out, he 1.) may have gotten his brains bashed in, or 2.) may have played well enough to cost the Bills Bruce Smith.

Fun read. Thanks.

I want Bollinger. I am serious.

I agree

Bring BB in after the UFL season is over and the players are free to sign with the NFL. Can't be much worse than Edwards has been or Fitzpatrick will be. We'll have to cut the Chroisen One®, but all he does is command a cult that provides virgin sacrifices :thumbsup:

You might want to read the article.

That point is made ... and it's a good thing you didn't have Kelly a couple years earlier.

Great article. The only line I disagree with you on is the one that Kelly might not have signed with the Bills. He was in the Bills' office when the USFL called and told him not to do anything yet. Without that call he might have even signed with the Bills that day.

I've always thought that no matter what Jim Kelly said at the time, his biggest objection to signing with Buffalo was he didn't want to spend a year or two on the bench behind Joe Ferguson, when he could play right away in the USFL.

Eh. Might have made '84 and '85 a little more watchable. Then again, as you pointed out, he 1.) may have gotten his brains bashed in, or 2.) may have played well enough to cost the Bills Bruce Smith.

Fun read. Thanks.

agreed. Good posting as usual lori. Now I will add that it in essence served as minor league experience for Jimbo and Hull, which probably served them best as they may have been ruined as NFL'ers under the staff the Bills had in place in '83 and '84