Tully Banta Cain cut by NE

Kingfish

Being short on LB's I would take him. Will the Bills? Probably not, "We're happy with what we have here," is the usual line.

he is not a good linebacker, just a Super Bowl hero. he can rush the passer as a 3-4 LB, but he has no other LB skills. we have Maybin for that role.

Johnson from the Chefs can also be had via trade. I have to believe that we could improve the LB position with either one of these guys. Although, I did like what I saw from Palmer yesterday

I also liked Palmer yesterday. Although, the jets offense was pretty putrid, so I'm

not sure how good he really was.

As for Banta Cain, I'd sign him. Probably get some useful info from him regarding our next

game vs. the *patsies...not that it would really help anyway. Also, he's a seasoned vet and

could provide some nice depth.

Just wonder why he was cut, seems odd to me.

I thought he's played well rushing the passer in the games I've watched. Doesn't fit our defense since he's basically a defensive end, and that's one area we don't have injury problems.

strange move by Pats - bet he signs with the Chiefs by tomorrow.

I thought he's played well rushing the passer in the games I've watched. Doesn't fit our defense since he's basically a defensive end, and that's one area we don't have injury problems.

strange move by Pats - bet he signs with the Chiefs by tomorrow.

Yeah and Derrick Johnson becomes a Patriot....Funny dealings going on there. Maybe its payback for the earlier rape of a trade as well?

So according to this http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Wilson...-BantaCain.html

the Pats cut him today( and also gave Sam Aiken an extension). I will be the first to admit I have no idea if the guy could help us..I know they run a different system etc..but looking for someone who might be able to say if this guy could help in an area where we have a slight deficiency right now..that is a little thing called stopping the run.

OTOH, how bad do you have to to be if you are a linebacker and you get cut after a shutout?

In an interview Banta Cain indicated that he was cut as a roster move to clear a roster spot(he does not have to clear waivers) and then will be re-signed by the Pats after the trade deadline.

So, don't get too upset if the Bills make no attempt to sign him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...h-the-patriots/

Can someone explain the waiver rule to me? I always thought when you cut a guy during the season, he went on waivers where teams could claim him in order of their suckiness. Does that not apply to vested vets vets before the trading deadline??? Any help here greatly appreciated.

BTW, if he does not need to clear waivers, and the Pats are going to re-sign him, be great if da Bills went in an offered him double his sa;aryt and a tidy signing bonus to either get him, or at least make the Pats pay up for him

Can someone explain the waiver rule to me? I always thought when you cut a guy during the season, he went on waivers where teams could claim him in order of their suckiness. Does that not apply to vested vets vets before the trading deadline??? Any help here greatly appreciated.

BTW, if he does not need to clear waivers, and the Pats are going to re-sign him, be great if da Bills went in an offered him double his sa;aryt and a tidy signing bonus to either get him, or at least make the Pats pay up for him

Simply put, players with four or more accrued seasons in the NFL are exempt from the waiver system. They immediately become free agents upon release.

Simply put, players with four or more accrued seasons in the NFL are exempt from the waiver system. They immediately become free agents upon release.

I didn't know that..thank you for the info. Go get em Russ, and the very least make the Pats* pay more for him

I don't know what Banta-Cain's salary is, but he has got to be an upgrade over the 35 year old dude they just signed last week, no?

I honestly don't know enough about the Chiefs LB, but if he has just been bad because he is in KC then he may be worth a shot considering our injuries. I seem to remember the chiefs being short on WR's too...hmmm...Owens and Parrish should be made available.

Get Johnson and Banta-Cain, and let the best players play.

No position should be a given on this Bills team.

The Pats cut both LB's Banta Cain and Alexander in order to re-sign them to an extension which they both are expected to sign sometime today. League rules prohibit teams from renegotiating player contracts more trhan once per season and both Banta Cain and Alexander fall into that category. So, the Pats cut them with the understanding that they'll re-sign them to a new deal.