HS football in W NY

LewPort71

Question...Why do High school football teams play only 7 regular season games in WNY.

When reading the Buffalo News, I saw the phrase "Season ending game"

in many of the articles. Is this a new policy for 2009 or has

7 games been in use for a couple of seasons now.

In WV, the HS teams play 9 or 10 games...Then the 16 top rated teams

in each class begin a playoff process.

Question...Why do High school football teams play only 7 regular season games in WNY.

When reading the Buffalo News, I saw the phrase "Season ending game"

in many of the articles. Is this a new policy for 2009 or has

7 games been in use for a couple of seasons now.

In WV, the HS teams play 9 or 10 games...Then the 16 top rated teams

in each class begin a playoff process.

Only the top 16 make the state playoffs in all of WV? Wow. There are eight Class A playoff berths in our DISTRICT here in PA, and the district champ moves on to states. Similar in NYS -- tons more teams, and sectional/regional/state championships to deal with.

I think seven is still too few, though. Our part of PA plays nine or 10. The team I cover started its schedule the same week as NY, but still has two more regular-season games, a week off for the conference championship game (the same weekend as the Section VI championships at RWS), then the opening round of districts (same weekend as the Section V/VI regionals in NY).

Orchard Park won its state championship on Nov. 30 last year -- I remember the date because I was at Bills-49ers, ignoring the "action" in front of me to read McShea's liveblog of the Quakers game -- and PA played at least two weeks after that.

In New Jersey you play 9 regular season games and either a playoff game or a consolation game. So the way it was set up was that you had 9 teams in each division you play each team and than you play a cross over game with the other division and than you either were one of 8 teams in 3 divisions (I am not sure how many divisions where in each class) to make the playoffs or you played a consolation game (Usually they were a team that was similar to your talent level but not a team in your division).

So every team got to play 10 games even if you didn't make the playoffs. If you made the playoffs and won you got 11 games or 12 if you made the title game. Either way mid October is wayyyyyy too early for a season to end. My seasons weren't over till Thanksgiving even if we didn't make the playoffs.

Only the top 16 make the state playoffs in all of WV? Wow. There are eight Class A playoff berths in our DISTRICT here in PA, and the district champ moves on to states. Similar in NYS -- tons more teams, and sectional/regional/state championships to deal with.

I think seven is still too few, though. Our part of PA plays nine or 10. The team I cover started its schedule the same week as NY, but still has two more regular-season games, a week off for the conference championship game (the same weekend as the Section VI championships at RWS), then the opening round of districts (same weekend as the Section V/VI regionals in NY).

Orchard Park won its state championship on Nov. 30 last year -- I remember the date because I was at Bills-49ers, ignoring the "action" in front of me to read McShea's liveblog of the Quakers game -- and PA played at least two weeks after that.

there are approx 40 schools in each of the three classifications. So almost one half of the schools make it to the playoffs.

WV is small. There are only 1.8 Million residents and 1.75 million of them can be found at any WalMart at any time of day