Bill Parcells formula for Drafting QBs

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like their chances, too........behind this offensieve line.

well I hope that the Bills know if they are gonna draft a qb with their 1st pick, that they have to protect him! That means getting us someone who can play tackle!!!!! We are good in the middle for the future in my opinion. Hang, Levitre, and Wood should be able to handle LG-C-RG. However we needs some tackles and DEPTH at O-LINE

I'm still reeling over

(senior/graduate - 28 wins/39 starts over 3 years - 15,793 career yards - 134 career TDs*)

But hey, they say Harrell's not an NFL QB - and we already got Trent Edwards, anyway :wallbash:

*NCAA all-time record

I think the NFL is nuts when it comes to picking QBs. Mike Leach is right. The NFL doesn't do well picking QBs. He has 134 TDS in 39 starts. That's too impressive to pass up.

Cleveland kept Brady Quinn and let Harrell go to Canada?? Why?

I think the NFL is nuts when it comes to picking QBs. Mike Leach is right. The NFL doesn't do well picking QBs. He has 134 TDS in 39 starts. That's too impressive to pass up.

Cleveland kept Brady Quinn and let Harrell go to Canada?? Why?

ANYONE who ACTUALLY WATCHED the Senior Bowl would know why Harrell isn't in the NFL. The guy was a great SYSTEM QB at TTU under Mike Leach's genius(we do agree there Senator). He also had Crabtree, the best WR in the NCAA, for 2 years to hurl 30 of those TD's to. He looked pitiful back there trying to line up under Center, couldn't get his footwork or mechanics straight, and short-hopped balls worse than JP. If someone in the NFL still ran the "Run & Shoot" type of offense he'd be a perfect fit, but no one plays that style anymore. He was more ineffective lining up behind Center than any other highly touted college QB I've ever seen.

ANYONE who ACTUALLY WATCHED the Senior Bowl would know why Harrell isn't in the NFL. The guy was a great SYSTEM QB at TTU under Mike Leach's genius(we do agree there Senator). He also had Crabtree, the best WR in the NCAA, for 2 years to hurl 30 of those TD's to. He looked pitiful back there trying to line up under Center, couldn't get his footwork or mechanics straight, and short-hopped balls worse than JP. If someone in the NFL still ran the "Run & Shoot" type of offense he'd be a perfect fit, but no one plays that style anymore. He was more ineffective lining up behind Center than any other highly touted college QB I've ever seen.

Water - you can't tell me that Trent Edwards doesn't look more pitiful at everything than Harrell, or ignore that Leach keeps churning out QBs that absolutely dominate the NCAA record books and say, out-of-hand, that they'll all fail in the NFL.

Well, I take that back - you can say it, but you'd run the risk of being called an idiot by...

Mike Leach: Eric Mangini's an Idiot

"What’s interesting to me, a guy that really has not accomplished a great deal there at Cleveland - or the Jets for that matter - to publicly comment on A) someone he doesn’t even know and B) someone whose accomplishments speak for themselves and, within the specific field that Michael Crabtree’s in, Michael’s accomplishments speak louder than Mangini’s do. Crabtree as a receiver has been more successful than that guy has been as a coach.

"My definition of a diva is someone who's loud and self-absorbed," Leach told reporters, "and Michael Crabtree is the furthest thing from loud that I've seen. I think [Mangini] took it upon himself to figure that in a few minutes he had all the expertise on the subject of Michael Crabtree that he needed, so we’ll see how those non-divas up there in Cleveland do this year."

Now personally, I think Leach's outburst about Crabtree and Mangini probably affected Graham Harrell's chance to make the Browns' roster, plus they were already deep in talent at the QB spot, or so the idiot Mangini thought - but Mangini himself did not have anything bad to say about Graham Harrell...

Harrell wasn't taken last weekend in the seven rounds of the NFL Draft, despite owning the NCAA record with 134 career touchdown passes and holding the second spot with 15,793 career yards. As a senior, he threw 45 touchdown passes, completed 71 percent of his passes and finished fourth in the Heisman Trophy voting.

He said a few NFL teams offered him tryouts but his agent recommended the Browns.

"I have to show that it's not just the system I played in college," he said. "That I can make throws, I can take snaps, I can take drops. And learn and mold into a system that they want to run here."

Harrell's size (6-foot-2, 223 pounds) and arm strength (average) were negatives in the draft process. So was the Red Raiders' spread offense, which created the gaudy statistics.

First-year Browns coach Eric Mangini said Harrell made a good first impression.

"He's picked up the information easily, and he throws a very accurate ball," Mangini said. "I thought he did a nice job, not just with his throws but being able to run the offense."

And on the specious argument of the sytem QB, says ML...

"You bring up easily the most pitiful NFL cop-out of all!" he hollered. "And you can send that message to the whole NFL. Any coach who has ever said or uttered those words or considers that a concern, here's my message for them: How could you possibly look yourself in the mirror and consider yourself an NFL coach and not be able to teach a guy to run back three steps, five steps and seven steps? I can teach a child that! Any coach in the NFL who can't do that ought to be fired!"

Leach continued:

"I can do that ... I only need a three-hour window. I'll have a great clinic for all the NFL coaches who are so horrible that they can't teach a guy to take a snap under center and go backwards."

Mike Leach on System QB Label: 'Most Pitiful NFL Cop-Out of All'

Never mind that Philip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger seldom took a snap from under center during their collegiate careers, or that Kurt Warner and Tom Brady have been handsomely compensated to play in shotgun-friendly schemes.

But my favourite Leach comment on the subject, just for all the TSW posters out there whose day jobs are NFL scouts and position coaches ...

"If [our QB] is a product of any 'system', then he's not getting any of those touchdown passes and all those yards. That means our coaching staff is," Leach said. "That would also mean we could go down to 7-Eleven and get the clerk behind the counter and let him play quarterback."

Honestly, all the ersatz QB 'geniuses' out there - most of whom were just drooling over Trent Edwards 12 months ago- need to spend more time listening to...

Mike Leach

Are the Bills not running a 'no-huddle' this season, and half the time from the shotgun? There's no freakin' way you'll ever convince me that Trent Edwards is better at that than...

Graham Harrell

Of course, HOH, that's JMO, and I mean no offense.

Bill Parcells’ Formula to drafting a College QB

Senior with 3+ years of starting experience, 23+ wins, and a college graduate

Players that fit this description for the 2010 Draft:

Colt McCoy, Texas

Dan LeFevour, Central Mich

Max Hall, BYU

Tim Tebow, Florida

Todd Reesing, Kansas

Riley Skinner, Wake Forest

Zac Robinson, OK St (needs 3 more wins this season)

Eric Ward, Richmond

Armanti Edwards, Appalachian State

Dominic Randolph, Holy Cross

Derrick Fourroux, McNeese State

Now let’s compare previous Bills picks against this formula

Trent Edwards 3 year starter, only started 30 games due to injury. 10 wins

JP Losman 2 full years of starting, 13 wins

Todd Collins 2 year starter, 16 wins

Looking ahead to the draft, I like McCoy and LeFevour as potential draft picks.

Parcells is the best for a reason. I like Reesing at QB not a 1st rounder but going to be a good pro.

Water - you can't tell me that Trent Edwards doesn't look more pitiful at everything than Harrell, or ignore that Leach keeps churning out QBs that absolutely dominate the NCAA record books and say, out-of-hand, that they'll all fail in the NFL.

Well, I take that back - you can say it, but you'd run the risk of being called an idiot by...

Mike Leach: Eric Mangini's an Idiot

"What’s interesting to me, a guy that really has not accomplished a great deal there at Cleveland - or the Jets for that matter - to publicly comment on A) someone he doesn’t even know and B) someone whose accomplishments speak for themselves and, within the specific field that Michael Crabtree’s in, Michael’s accomplishments speak louder than Mangini’s do. Crabtree as a receiver has been more successful than that guy has been as a coach.

"My definition of a diva is someone who's loud and self-absorbed," Leach told reporters, "and Michael Crabtree is the furthest thing from loud that I've seen. I think [Mangini] took it upon himself to figure that in a few minutes he had all the expertise on the subject of Michael Crabtree that he needed, so we’ll see how those non-divas up there in Cleveland do this year."

Now personally, I think Leach's outburst about Crabtree and Mangini probably affected Graham Harrell's chance to make the Browns' roster, plus they were already deep in talent at the QB spot, or so the idiot Mangini thought - but Mangini himself did not have anything bad to say about Graham Harrell...

Harrell wasn't taken last weekend in the seven rounds of the NFL Draft, despite owning the NCAA record with 134 career touchdown passes and holding the second spot with 15,793 career yards. As a senior, he threw 45 touchdown passes, completed 71 percent of his passes and finished fourth in the Heisman Trophy voting.

He said a few NFL teams offered him tryouts but his agent recommended the Browns.

"I have to show that it's not just the system I played in college," he said. "That I can make throws, I can take snaps, I can take drops. And learn and mold into a system that they want to run here."

Harrell's size (6-foot-2, 223 pounds) and arm strength (average) were negatives in the draft process. So was the Red Raiders' spread offense, which created the gaudy statistics.

First-year Browns coach Eric Mangini said Harrell made a good first impression.

"He's picked up the information easily, and he throws a very accurate ball," Mangini said. "I thought he did a nice job, not just with his throws but being able to run the offense."

And on the specious argument of the sytem QB, says ML...

"You bring up easily the most pitiful NFL cop-out of all!" he hollered. "And you can send that message to the whole NFL. Any coach who has ever said or uttered those words or considers that a concern, here's my message for them: How could you possibly look yourself in the mirror and consider yourself an NFL coach and not be able to teach a guy to run back three steps, five steps and seven steps? I can teach a child that! Any coach in the NFL who can't do that ought to be fired!"

Leach continued:

"I can do that ... I only need a three-hour window. I'll have a great clinic for all the NFL coaches who are so horrible that they can't teach a guy to take a snap under center and go backwards."

Mike Leach on System QB Label: 'Most Pitiful NFL Cop-Out of All'

Never mind that Philip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger seldom took a snap from under center during their collegiate careers, or that Kurt Warner and Tom Brady have been handsomely compensated to play in shotgun-friendly schemes.

But my favourite Leach comment on the subject, just for all the TSW posters out there whose day jobs are NFL scouts and position coaches ...

"If [our QB] is a product of any 'system', then he's not getting any of those touchdown passes and all those yards. That means our coaching staff is," Leach said. "That would also mean we could go down to 7-Eleven and get the clerk behind the counter and let him play quarterback."

Honestly, all the ersatz QB 'geniuses' out there - most of whom were just drooling over Trent Edwards 12 months ago- need to spend more time listening to...

Mike Leach

Are the Bills not running a 'no-huddle' this season, and half the time from the shotgun? There's no freakin' way you'll ever convince me that Trent Edwards is better at that than...

Graham Harrell

Of course, HOH, that's JMO, and I mean no offense.

:devil:

EDIT: clip NSFW

I'm not a college football fan and watch very little of it. But I have seen Colt a couple of times. He looks OK. Kindof small and scrawney looking. Plus he plays on a team that has top notch talent at every position playing against teams that many are just not as good at any position. Like the game Saturday night. I see him throwing a lot passes to wide open receivers. I just wonder if he can hold up in the pro game and if he can pass to guys not so open? I think he's kindof a gamble. We could be in the same boat in a couple of years.

Sign or trade for a vet who has proven he can play in the NFL against NFL defenses.

I'm not a college football fan and watch very little of it. But I have seen Colt a couple of times. He looks OK. Kindof small and scrawney looking. Plus he plays on a team that has top notch talent at every position playing against teams that many are just not as good at any position. Like the game Saturday night. I see him throwing a lot passes to wide open receivers. I just wonder if he can hold up in the pro game and if he can pass to guys not so open? I think he's kindof a gamble. We could be in the same boat in a couple of years.

Sign or trade for a vet who has proven he can play in the NFL against NFL defenses.

Build-wise I compare Colt to JP when he first came into the league.

When it comes to Vets this offseason, there isn't going to be much to go after, Garcia, Campbell, and Orton are the big name FAs right now and I don't think Denver is going to let Orton get away after a strong showing like he has so far.

Again, I'm not lobbying for a QB in the draft, I'm simply stating a formula from Bill Parcells

When it comes to Vets this offseason, there isn't going to be much to go after, Garcia, Campbell, and Orton are the big name FAs right now and I don't think Denver is going to let Orton get away after a strong showing like he has so far.

Again, I'm not lobbying for a QB in the draft, I'm simply stating a formula from Bill Parcells

Gotcha. But there's always guys that get released or can be traded for. AJ Feely got released this year. He would be head shoulders above Trent. I know Garcia can play in this league. He's kindof old but probably can still play. Or, if the Lambs draft Bradford, maybe Mark Bulger becomes expendable. Make a run at McNabb. If the Titans decide to go with Vince, try to trade for Collins or vice versa. Any of those options I'd take over a snot nose punk rookie QB.

Gotcha. But there's always guys that get released or can be traded for. AJ Feely got released this year. He would be head shoulders above Trent. I know Garcia can play in this league. He's kindof old but probably can still play. Or, if the Lambs draft Bradford, maybe Mark Bulger becomes expendable. Make a run at McNabb. If the Titans decide to go with Vince, try to trade for Collins or vice versa. Any of those options I'd take over a snot nose punk rookie QB.

Feely is Philly's answer to Rob Johnson. Bulger isn't bad, but he's as injury prone as Trent. I'd take McNabb if we could get him, but with his recent extension I don't think that is going to happen.