Clock Management - 2:02 to go

MRM33064

Actually, this is more of an indictment as to how STUPID the Browns were in that situation. It actually started on the previous play with Jamal Lewis taking it outside. It worked for the Browns because the Bills defenders were too foolish/inept to shove him out of bounds before he reached the first down marker. However, that effectively gave the Bills another timeout. Once they had it first down at the 5-6 yard line, they should have just milked the clock and taken a knee on the next three downs -- and then kicked their field goal. The Browns then compounded this by kicking it out of bounds on the ensuing kickoff. A team with a real QB and and better than half wit OC would have at least had a chance from the 40 yard line with 23 seconds left to get into scoring range.

The score is tied. The Bills have no timeouts.

1-5-BUF 5 (2:02) 31-J.Lewis up the middle to BUF 6 for -1 yards (95-K.Williams, 59-A.Palmer).

*** Two-Minute Warning ****

The clock stops. At this point, the umpteen coaches on the CLE sideline choose to kneel, run clock, then attempt a game-winning FG, essentially leaving the Bills no time to tie. Except they don't.

2-6-BUF 6 (1:56) 31-J.Lewis left guard to BUF 4 for 2 yards (99-M.Stroud).

3-4-BUF 4 (1:13) 31-J.Lewis up the middle to BUF 1 for 3 yards (90-C.Kelsay, 99-M.Stroud).

They run a play ... no, they run two plays ... but wait a second .... we stop them both times. The BUF braintrust evidently determined that we'd be better off letting CLE run out the entire game and attempt a winning FG - leaving us with roughly 20 seconds score a tying FG (kicking into the wind, I believe) - than simply letting them score the TD and leaving us with about 1:50 remaining to score a tying TD.

Tawwk amongst yaw-selves.

Didn't watch the game, but you said we have no timeouts? How do you stop the clock with no timeouts? Start a fight? Kick the ref in the nuts?

We had 58:10 to score a "tying" TD and could not do it. Do you honestly think we could have moved down field in under two minutes? At that point, I was grateful for the sorry game to be over -- but the Browns still tried to give it away by kicking the ball out of bounds. Would have been interesting to see if Manning, Brady or about 20 other decent QB's could have gone 30 yds in the 15-20 seconds that was left. I'd bet they could have positioned it for a legitimate field goal attempt.

What is unbelievable and probably forgotten by many at that point (due to how bad the game was) is that we had the ball 1st and 10 on our own 40 with 23 seconds left. And do you all remember where TE threw? 5 yards across the middle to Lee. My goodness, a 30 yarder down the middle, and than spike it and we at least get a long field goal attempt. Or how about a 12-15 yard out pattern. burns 5 seconds at most. Another one of these and you have your field goal attempt.

I believe TE is worse than JP, and I hated JP. At least JP looked like he cared at least some of the time, and he wasn't scared. TE looks scared. I have NO IDEA why he is still allowed to play for us.

It probably doesn't qualify as a clock management question, and I'm sure it has been brought up on this board already, but on the first down after Cleveland took the lead (what was it, 24 seconds left?), why was Lee Evan running a route 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage?

The score is tied. The Bills have no timeouts.

1-5-BUF 5 (2:02) 31-J.Lewis up the middle to BUF 6 for -1 yards (95-K.Williams, 59-A.Palmer).

*** Two-Minute Warning ****

The clock stops. At this point, the umpteen coaches on the CLE sideline choose to kneel, run clock, then attempt a game-winning FG, essentially leaving the Bills no time to tie. Except they don't.

2-6-BUF 6 (1:56) 31-J.Lewis left guard to BUF 4 for 2 yards (99-M.Stroud).

3-4-BUF 4 (1:13) 31-J.Lewis up the middle to BUF 1 for 3 yards (90-C.Kelsay, 99-M.Stroud).

They run a play ... no, they run two plays ... but wait a second .... we stop them both times. The BUF braintrust evidently determined that we'd be better off letting CLE run out the entire game and attempt a winning FG - leaving us with roughly 20 seconds score a tying FG (kicking into the wind, I believe) - than simply letting them score the TD and leaving us with about 1:50 remaining to score a tying TD.

Tawwk amongst yaw-selves.

ROFLOL!!!! SERIOUSLY!?!?!?!?

Did you not see the other 58 minutes of the game? What makes you think we would have marched right back down the field and scored a tying TD, or a FG ....OR EVEN MADE IT ACROSS MID FIELD FOR THAT MATTER??

Offense blows goats. Trent needs to go and so does Jauron if he doesn't bench him.

It probably doesn't qualify as a clock management question, and I'm sure it has been brought up on this board already, but on the first down after Cleveland took the lead (what was it, 24 seconds left?), why was Lee Evan running a route 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage?

Maybe they wanted to keep his consecutive games with a catch streak in tact.

About the only one I can think of is a similar situation to yesterday except you are already down one point. Thus, even if they don't get the FG you are still screwed by letting them run the clock. If you let them score a TD, now down by 8, you have a chance to come back for the tie.

Of course, a smart opponent would refuse to score in that situation -- this actually happened a couple years ago when Brian Westbrook fell down at the one yard line rather than score late in a game the Eagles were leading by one. It was the worst fantasy football moment in history.

In a game you were leading or tied? You'd never let someone score under any circumstances.

Actually, if you're up by at least a field goal, it can make sense to give the other team a safety if you run out the clock. There's also a very few situations where it makes sense to take the safety and then punt from your own 20 rather than trying to punt the ball from your endzone.