A serious comment about Edwards

zow2

Well except for Rothlisberger and Rogers, right? Those two guys aren't protected any better than Edwards, but they make plays all over the field.

Even with a bad line, Edwards should be able to make a play here and there that makes you say, 'that's our QB of the future.'

Name a play in Trent's carerr where he showed franchise QB potential. He's completed a couple of long passes, but he's missed on way more bombs than he's hit.

Most of the big gainers the Bills make are dump-offs to RBs who pile up the YAC.

The guy just doesn't have it. If he's better than Fitzgerald, let him finish out the year, but the Bills should be open to any opportunity in the offseason to replace him with a true QB that the team can be built around.

Totally agree. Rogers did some great things despite having to throw with Jared Allen in his face all day and Big Ben has been doing the same. Cripe with have like 15 million spent on 2 receivers, whose production makes them not even startable in fantasy football. He isnt progressing and thats disturbing with the skill position talent on offense. I agree with the sentiment that I thought fitzpartrick was a weak backup signing. Cincy would now be 5-0 if it wasnt for a fluke play. Pretty much the same team but Palmers in and Fitzpatrick is out. So Fitzpatrick is basically Losman or Checkdownwards. At his point..yeah Id give Hamdan a shot for one game. What are we going to do worse than 3 points against the 31st ranked defense if Hamdan started?,

The O-line is bad no doubt. The Tackles are not even College material and that's the front office fault.

But Trent is not the only problem. It time for us to get on Lee Evans, he cant get open against the worst D in football.

Why they are not playing Stevie Johnson? Bench Roscoe and let Jackson return kicks.

But I would give Fitz a chance next week. One touchdown against 2 winless teams its time to make a change.

problem is if lee runs past the DB on a bomb trent cant get him the ball

Another indictment on Edwards that isn't talked about. He had really good field position at the end of both the New England game and Cleveland game. HE basically could not get a pass off more than 5 yards in either or took sacks. That shows me more evidence he's not a playmaker. He's defnitely not a QB that's going to give you a chance to pull a game out in the last minute... Ugh, i'm sick!

The TEAM sucks, including the QB. The whole offense is just playing stupid - Edwards can't make a decent decision to save his life, the line can't block, the receivers aren't doing a damned thing to help. Only the backfield's playing with half a brain.

But he has "Poise" :thumbsup:

Well except for Rothlisberger and Rogers, right? Those two guys aren't protected any better than Edwards, but they make plays all over the field.

Even with a bad line, Edwards should be able to make a play here and there that makes you say, 'that's our QB of the future.'

Name a play in Trent's carerr where he showed franchise QB potential. He's completed a couple of long passes, but he's missed on way more bombs than he's hit.

Most of the big gainers the Bills make are dump-offs to RBs who pile up the YAC.

The guy just doesn't have it. If he's better than Fitzgerald, let him finish out the year, but the Bills should be open to any opportunity in the offseason to replace him with a true QB that the team can be built around.

Rogers, maybe. Roethlesberger is protected quite a bit better.

Roethlesberger: 13 sacks, against considerably better defenses than we have played.

Edwards: 18 sacks

It appears that Edwards has severely regressed. In my mind, there are 5 possible reasons why an NFL player regresses:

1. Age/Natural Diminution of Physical Ability

2. Injury

3. Player Laziness

4. Bad Situation that Stifles Ability (See Raiders, Oakland)

5. Mirage Factor, ie -- he was not that good to begin with

It's not clear to me whether Edwards is a 4 or a 5. But I'd love to have a [Gruden/Insert Name of Objective, Qualified NFL Observer] make that determination.

Moreover, I am not trying to add to the Edwards excuse bucket. Even so, it can't help that he doesn't have a full time QB coach.

Dude, i don't disagree about the line but it's also the QB. I was a big Trent supporter but he's showing me week after week he's not a playmaker. There were some plays today where he had time to scan the field and still did nothing. The checkdown is not always a bad play, but it tends to get us into a lot of 3rd and long's. He's not good enough to convert 3rd downs. He plays at the level of a backup QB.

AT LEAST, our old friend JP had the guts to go downfield....other problems yes...but had an attacking attitude about throwing the ball. Trent lacks the arm...and yes, he lacks the head....like JP...in a different way, however. JP was at least not timid.

It appears that Edwards has severely regressed. In my mind, there are 5 possible reasons why an NFL player regresses:

1. Age/Natural Diminution of Physical Ability

2. Injury

3. Player Laziness

4. Bad Situation that Stifles Ability (See Raiders, Oakland)

5. Mirage Factor, ie -- he was not that good to begin with

It's not clear to me whether Edwards is a 4 or a 5. But I'd love to have a [Gruden/Insert Name of Objective, Qualified NFL Observer] make that determination.

Moreover, I am not trying to add to the Edwards excuse bucket. Even so, it can't help that he doesn't have a full time QB coach.

It's #5.

He looked somewhat ok in the beginning until defensive coordinators got some film on him and now he basically looks useless. **** the Browns d-coordinator called him out. Edwards is what he is and that's not a very good QB.

At this point JP has more raw talent and potential than Trent. Trent will never get better than he already is, and that's not very good.

Dude, i don't disagree about the line but it's also the QB. I was a big Trent supporter but he's showing me week after week he's not a playmaker. There were some plays today where he had time to scan the field and still did nothing. The checkdown is not always a bad play, but it tends to get us into a lot of 3rd and long's. He's not good enough to convert 3rd downs. He plays at the level of a backup QB.

Right, but what's most infuriating about this is that he consistently does it on 3rd and long. when was the last time you saw TE throw a pass to a receiver anywhere near the 1st down marker on 3rd and 7 or longer . . .

In Trent's defense, he had 150 passing yards compared to Anderson's 23. That being said, Trent seems to miss on the long pass opportunities (both Owens and Evans open). He also does not find WR's open 15 yards in the middle of the field. The 7 yard TE hitch and 7 yard RB circle route dump offs are way better than the zero yard sideline dump offs that are now being blanketted by the defenses. Bottom line here is that Trent should get another 6 games to prove that he's the long term answer (or not).

The defense played great and that side of the ball seems pretty solid. I loved to see all of the 5-3 and 4-4 fronts and all of the run blitzes.

Edwards is not an NFL starter. The game requires physical play that makes him comfortable. Watch how Brady and Big Ben by time sliding in the pocket patiently as bodies are flying around them. Trent panics and makes terrible decisions built around getting the live grenade out of his hands. The other thing the QB position requires in the NFL is moxie, a desire to compete and win. A gunslingers mentality that TE simply does not have. His offensive line is weak but he lacks what it takes to play the position when they do block.

The line sucks that is Trent's problem. There weren't many opportunities for him to throw in the middle without someone getting thrown back in his face. I am also willing to bet that Trent tries to get away from the Blitz due to the state of the line play. That is why you see Roll out plays.

Trent isn't hte issue. I see him looking down the field but he needs more time to throw. It's either take a sack or throw a check down. It's kinda hard to get into any kind of rythm as a QB or offense when you are on your back every 4 throws or so.

The best QB's in the league also have the best Olines in the league. If you don't believe go and look at the player's stat lines for QB hits, Hurries, and Sacks.

You must be watching the Bizzaro world Bills games!

Edwards will not throw down field, constantly checks down, stares down his receivers telegraphing every throw to the defense and I could go on and on.....

Edwards IS 1 of many problems.