Piss Poor OL play

I have to call out Smith for his play last night. One play in particular stands out to me...

Sometime in the 3rd Quarter L. Smith appears on the OL, not for the first time... Jennings picks up the LB on the blitz and makes a very good job of it - Teague, Villarial and Williams are doing a very mediocre job of holing off a 3 man pass rush on the right side. And then we have #72 L. Smith... :D

OK he was against Richard Seymour, BUT, Smith didn't even get a hand on him. Seymour makes a pretty easy move up the inside on Smith, who is flailing his arms around like he is trying to put out a fire on Seymours butt. Smith then flaps in mid air trying to turn 480 degrees to find him man (I can't be sure but I think he had his eyes closed) and then falls on the ground like a big sack of stevestojan.

The result. Seymour gets a VERY easy sack.

Thats my shining example of what is wrong with the OL. But they were all of them abysmal against the Pats. I know it is hard and the Pats prepare well, but in a WHOLE WEEK to prepare for the SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS you are telling me that the coaches and players couldn't have worked through a LARGE number of possible formations and blitz pickups to slow down that rush??? Even when the Pats DIDN'T send a LB or DB as an extra rusher our fat boys up front backpeddled out of their way faster than if a car ful of homebos with Uzis was coming at them...

Yes Drew was awful. Yes the playcalling was pathetic. Yes McGahee dances too much. Yes the Defence decided they had enough. Yes we should have made better use of Travis. But where is the battle won and lost in football? On the Offensive Line. If our group of lard arses can't do a better job than that, then I think we're looking at a WAY WAY WAY sub-.500 season... Even if we correct every other problem we have.

When I see line play like that, it makes me ashamed to feel part of the OL bretheren.

Please listen to Nick all those "DB is the cause of all our problems " people. He PLAYS the position and knows what is involved.

If our piss poor O-line could make ANY semblance of blocking, we would have a MUCH MUCH better record. McGahee getting tackled in the backfield is not due to him not seing holes, it is due to the ABSENCE of those holes. It's hard to get anything when 5 guys are right in front of you with no one on them. If we could run block, we attempt less passes. The D played two games because we couldn't do anything on offense. The Pats had about a 2-1 advantage in TOP.

We need to get the best FA O-lineman available and spend several draft picks on the O-line.

Please listen to Nick all those "DB is the cause of all our problems " people. He PLAYS the position and knows what is involved.

If our piss poor O-line could make ANY semblance of blocking, we would have a MUCH MUCH better record. McGahee getting tackled in the backfield is not due to him not seing holes, it is due to the ABSENCE of those holes. It's hard to get anything when 5 guys are right in front of you with no one on them. If we could run block, we attempt less passes. The D played two games because we couldn't do anything on offense. The Pats had about a 2-1 advantage in TOP.

We need to get the best FA O-lineman available and spend several draft picks on the O-line.

118309[/snapback]

Drew had time last night, were you watching?

Drew was sacked once yesterday.  He threw 3 INTs with no rush on him.  Stop blaming the o-line, the coaches, the fans, his mom, and making excuses for Bledsoe.  He sucks and he's dragging the rest of the Bills down the drain.

PTR

118341[/snapback]

As far as last night's game is concerned atleast, I gotta agree with this completely.

118309[/snapback]

I also know a thing or two about Offensive Line play and I STILL think that Bledsoe played like crap.....

I wasn't happy with the run blocking.....but I graded the pass protection out at a C-