Perry Fewell

jahbonas

I see Perry blames the linebackers in last weeks game...when the #1 defensive problem has been his strategy that gives away 3rd down conversions like gumdrops and contributes more than anything else to the defense having to stay out there.

On 3rd and 4...do not have CB's retreat 10 yards and give up an EASY 3rd down conversion.

Mark kelso commeneted at halftime this would be the #1 halftime adjustment to make....then had to comment in the 3rd qtr that incredibly the CB's of Buffalo continue to retreat constantly.....

We have a quality defensive line this year (6th in the NFL in sacks)...often resulting in 3rd downs and 4 or less.....but then this strategy of retreat submarines all the good work done on the first 2 downs and gives away a 3rd down conversion.

This strategy is not too different from Walt Corely used to do...and ironically the strategy works well when playing a dan marino or drew brees who wish to push that ball down the field rather than dink and dunk. However...the major mistake is treating a Chad henne like he is Drew brees....The dolphins had a young QB and power running game...the entire game was going to be played in the first 6 yrards of scrimmage..either runs or short safe passes....instead of mobbing that area with numerous defenders....we retreat backwards and defend the 20 yard pass that is never going to come....Henne loved taking the easy short pass conversions...building up his confidence..

Why does Miami not hesitate to play their rookie CB up on Lee Evans...yet we cannot play our top CB up on their mediocre WR? the retreating from the line of scrimmage by our LB and CB;s is killing us....

Another stat for Fewell...your defense is #2 in league in # of penalties and #1 in defensive penalty yards

Hey Juaron...how does this mix with Bobby April's unit leading the league in penalties for special teams???

There is talent on this team (unlike 3 yrs ago)...but its undercut by this staff...

If other teams did the same to us, Edwards would actually look half decent and be able to complete some passes to WRs.

Exactly...and you almost wonder is this why Edwards can look so good in Camp because he is a dink and dunk guy playing all summer against a defense that gives away dink and dunks....

Perry...adjust your defensive strategy to the talent you face on a given week...

Belicheck always takes away what it is you prefer to do....then takes that away as best he can

We are tied for 5th in the league in allowing 3rd down conversions at 44%...and thats with quality Def line play and an abundance of talent in our 2ndary

Keep in mind...Fewell is the same IDIOT...who against Dallas on monday night...Dallas needed 6 yards to get into FG range and time for 1 play with no timeouts....we had his defensive backs drop 15 yards.....incredible...might have been one of the dumbest coaching moves I have ever witnessed......now we see him do similar but on many 3rd downs...

If Juaron wants to use Fewells' strategy..then fine....but then dont WASTE top picks on defensive backs if all you will use them for is to run up and tackle WRs after they make an east 1st down....

This disconnect is killing us....

I see Perry blames the linebackers in last weeks game...when the #1 defensive problem has been his strategy that gives away 3rd down conversions like gumdrops and contributes more than anything else to the defense having to stay out there.

On 3rd and 4...do not have CB's retreat 10 yards and give up an EASY 3rd down conversion.

Mark kelso commeneted at halftime this would be the #1 halftime adjustment to make....then had to comment in the 3rd qtr that incredibly the CB's of Buffalo continue to retreat constantly.....

We have a quality defensive line this year...often resulting in 3rd downs and 4 or less.....but then this strategy of retreat submarines all the good work done on the first 2 downs and gives away a 3rd down conversion.

This strategy is not too different from Walt Corely used to do...and ironically the strategy works well when playing a dan marino or drew brees who wish to push that ball down the field rather than dink and dunk. However...the major mistake is treating a Chad henne like he is Drew brees....The dolphins had a young QB and power running game...the entire game was going to be played in the first 6 yrards of scrimmage..either runs or short safe passes....instead of mobbing that area with numerous defenders....we retreat backwards and defend the 20 yard pass that is never going to come....Henne loved taking the easy short pass conversions...building up his confidence..

Why does Miami not hesitate to play their rookie CB up on Lee Evans...yet we cannot play our top CB up on their mediocre WR? the retreating from the line of scrimmage by our LB and CB;s is killing us....

Perry Fool...er Fewell, is another egotistical coordinator in a league stock full of them. He is married to his 2-gap cover 2 "system" and nothing or no one will make him change.

Mark Kelso is a pain to listen to, if you know anything at all about the game, because he treats every play by both teams like it's a freakin' football 101 lecture. I really wish the Bills or the radio station would dump the guy. But at least he knows the game (painfully so), and he is certainly correct when he points out that Fool does not adjust to anything on game day....

...But back to Kelso for a minute: he does not get excited as much as most other local radio "color" guys in the NFL, instead he just forces his in depth knowlege of the plays down our throats ad nauseum. Who needs that? If Derek Fine drops a 3rd and 6 pass forcing the Bills to go 3 and out I'm too pissed off to give a crap about the route Fine ran and the type of coverage the defense had or the type of blocking scheme the Bills had on the damn play. I would rather hear him talk about how much that drop killed the momentum and hurts the defense! But Kelso is consistent on the good plays (however few of them there are to call these days). I never hear him get excited or raise his voice or go "all right" when the Bills score a TD. Instead yet again, he starts rambling on about how the TD was executed, the blocking for the run play or the pass pattern vs. the defense on the passing play. If Mark Kelso wants to coach or teach a class on football, great. But I say bring in more of a personality to work color on the radio - no other team needs some personality describing their boring play more then the Bills. Kelso takes the Bills' boring bad play, and then describes to us the technical reasons why it is boring and bad. Lucky us, huh? :wallbash:

Perry Fool...er Fewell, is another egotistical coordinator in a league stock full of them. He is married to his 2-gap cover 2 "system" and nothing or no one will make him change.

Mark Kelso is a pain to listen to, if you know anything at all about the game, because he treats every play by both teams like it's a freakin' football 101 lecture. I really wish the Bills or the radio station would dump the guy. But at least he knows the game (painfully so), and he is certainly correct when he points out that Fool does not adjust to anything on game day....

...But back to Kelso for a minute: he does not get excited as much as most other local radio "color" guys in the NFL, instead he just forces his in depth knowlege of the plays down our throats ad nauseum. Who needs that? If Derek Fine drops a 3rd and 6 pass forcing the Bills to go 3 and out I'm too pissed off to give a crap about the route Fine ran and the type of coverage the defense had or the type of blocking scheme the Bills had on the damn play. I would rather hear him talk about how much that drop killed the momentum and hurts the defense! But Kelso is consistent on the good plays (however few of them there are to call these days). I never hear him get excited or raise his voice or go "all right" when the Bills score a TD. Instead yet again, he starts rambling on about how the TD was executed, the blocking for the run play or the pass pattern vs. the defense on the passing play. If Mark Kelso wants to coach or teach a class on football, great. But I say bring in more of a personality to work color on the radio - no other team needs some personality describing their boring play more then the Bills. Kelso takes the Bills' boring bad play, and then describes to us the technical reasons why it is boring and bad. Lucky us, huh? :wallbash:

I guess its a matter of taste regarding Kelso....you would rather simply here a yell and shout.....but some others (myself included) think the shouting does nothing to help make sure it does not happen again or how better to attack it next time....

Its likely you would prefer a John Madden loud smash mouth etccc instead of Bill Walsh's coaching analysis of given plays....

Either way...I like your term Perry Fool...

Walt Corey's defense used a lot of man-press 2-deep. Odomes and Burroughs shut out the Miami WRs in one game -- Marino completed 0 passes to the "Marks Brothers" -- and they played bump and run almost exclusively. Of course, back then offenses were fairly conventional with 2 WRs, 1 TE, and 2 RBs. They also had a great front-7 that could play the run, blitz, and defend the middle of the field light-years better than what we have now.

Keep in mind...Fewell is the same IDIOT...who against Dallas on monday night...Dallas needed 6 yards to get into FG range and time for 1 play with no timeouts....we had his defensive backs drop 15 yards.....incredible...might have been one of the dumbest coaching moves I have ever witnessed......now we see him do similar but on many 3rd downs...

This disconnect is killing us....

OCs for years have worked the sideline pass patterns when time is tight. So that's what you protect. Give up the middle and take the chance.

Madden with Stabler took gutsy advantage of a D hawking the sidelines. In my mind, those two were one of the best-ever coach-qb combos.

Walt Corey's defense used a lot of man-press 2-deep. Odomes and Burroughs shut out the Miami WRs in one game -- Marino completed 0 passes to the "Marks Brothers" -- and they played bump and run almost exclusively. Of course, back then offenses were fairly conventional with 2 WRs, 1 TE, and 2 RBs. They also had a great front-7 that could play the run, blitz, and defend the middle of the field light-years better than what we have now.

Corey defensed the Dolphins well....but his typical scheme is what he did in the Giants Superbowl...defended against a 25 yard pass against a team and QB that wanted to run the clock and either run the ball or throw short dump passes.

In essence...we 'gave' them exactly what they wanted....

The best coordinators understand any 1 defense is not the perfect defense for every QB and every offense....we see ourselves that Trent Edwards can look like Montana if he faces a team dumb enough to play bend but dont break against him.......you cannot defense Chad henne the same way you defense Drew Brees...yet these coordinators do this all the time....often because they are 'one trick ponies' who cannot simply slide to a modified scheme

OCs for years have worked the sideline pass patterns when time is tight. So that's what you protect. Give up the middle and take the chance.

Madden with Stabler took gutsy advantage of a D hawking the sidelines. In my mind, those two were one of the best-ever coach-qb combos.

True,,,but they also had incredible weapons....Hall of famecalibers from the Center/Guard/Tackle/Tightend/WR's

Dave Dalby/Upshaw/Shell/Casper/Biletnikoff/Branch

I think you're on to something. We've got a good secondary, so we do we have them playing so far back like they're afraid of the other team? This defense can be very effective when playing aggressive and blitzing. I've seen it. I wish we'd try it some on 3rd down. Especially against a rookie QB like last week. Hopefully we'll see the aggressive side of PF this week.

I've been saying this about Fewell and his defense for over a year now. I can't stand the bend but don't break defense he uses. He gives up first downs all the way up and down the field until there are no more to give. Then they get lucky sometimes and the opponent has to go for 3, everyone says, well at least they didn't let them get 7.

Complete bull ****! Stop them on 3 rd down and you give up zero.

I've been saying this about Fewell and his defense for over a year now. I can't stand the bend but don't break defense he uses. He gives up first downs all the way up and down the field until there are no more to give. Then they get lucky sometimes and the opponent has to go for 3, everyone says, well at least they didn't let them get 7.

Complete bull ****! Stop them on 3 rd down and you give up zero.

Exactly ! And nothing causes his defense to stay on the field more than his terrible 3rd down defensive strategy. It completely undermines the good defense played on 1st & 2nd downs...

They love to blame the no-huddle but this no huddle takes its time calling its plays

Exactly ! And nothing causes his defense to stay on the field more than his terrible 3rd down defensive strategy. It completely undermines the good defense played on 1st & 2nd downs...

They love to blame the no-huddle but this no huddle takes its time calling its plays

Agree, the no huddle is not the problem. This no huddle is not run at a break neck pace like Kelly's no huddle.

What is the passing % against our defense this year, 75%???? I have never seen such a soft defesne in all my years watching football. Why even draft athletic DBs, just put traffic cones back there as CBs and paly 2 safties deep?

We are 14th in allowed passing%...but I did not see allowed passing% on 3rd downs specifically...