Great baseball playoff game going on!

Pete

In the 12th! What a game!

I'm not even that big of a baseball fan but I happened to flip it on in the 8th while I was helping my son study for a test; couldn't take my eyes off it the rest of the way. That game had everything. You know you're watching a spectacular sporting event when you have no rooting interest whatsoever and still find yourself yapping and whooping at the TV every few minutes.

I don't what it is about that place but in addition to one of the best ballgames I've ever seen tonight, it's also been host to what I consider the most intense World Series ever played.

Fantastic stuff and I'm glad somebody else here was digging on it. :cry:

One of the greatest games (in any sport) I've ever seen as well.

The Tigers did get kind of a raw deal though. Inge had his uniform get grazed by a pitch in the top of the 12th with the bases loaded. That should've given them the lead, and still keep the bases loaded with only 1 out.

One of the greatest games (in any sport) I've ever seen as well.

The Tigers did get kind of a raw deal though. Inge had his uniform get grazed by a pitch in the top of the 12th with the bases loaded. That should've given them the lead, and still keep the bases loaded with only 1 out.

I think you're right that by the strict letter of the law that it was probably a missed call, but at the time I was really glad he didn't give him the base. 1) that oversized shirt was about a full foot away from his actual body and 2) I just didn't want to see such chintzy call be such an enormous factor in such a classic game.

Plus I was also hoping they might play about 17 innings. :cry:

I think you're right that by the strict letter of the law that it was probably a missed call, but at the time I was really glad he didn't give him the base. 1) that oversized shirt was about a full foot away from his actual body and 2) I just didn't want to see such chintzy call be such an enormous factor in such a classic game.

Plus I was also hoping they might play about 17 innings. :cry:

Agree on all counts.

As a baseball fan, let's hope this game is a precursor to an exciting postseason. The last few Word Series' haven't really been worth a damn.

Another thing: The Twins are a very good example of how a small market team can be successful. They have developed a lot of great talent, but have traded pretty much all of those great players away, only to restock their farm system with players that have a lot of potential. With all the turnover within that organization, the one thing that stays the same is the coach, Ron Gardenhire, who has to be considered one of the top 5 managers in the game.

The game ended at about 4AM here! But i'm glad i watched it!! great great game!

The Twins catching the Tigers after being 7 games behind at the beginning of the month without Morneau and Slowey ... just amazing!

Am I the only one who did not understand why the Tigers went with Rodney for so long while he had almost never pitched for more than an inning all season?

Am I the only one who did not understand why the Tigers went with Rodney for so long while he had almost never pitched for more than an inning all season?

I was pretty baffled but I guess the thinking was "he's the best guy we got left".

That's going to be tough to follow playing tonight in New York but October baseball is usually breathtaking.

How great was it? My wife -MY WIFE- was more into it than any sporting event in 30 years of marriage!

She grabbed the remote and slo-mo'd the plate at the plate 3X, believing he was safe.

So damn close IMO, that if the ump called him safe, I probably wouldn't have a problem with it. Much closer than it appeared live.

Breathtaking game!

Now roll these hacks, Yanks!!

How great was it? My wife -MY WIFE- was more into it than any sporting event in 30 years of marriage!

She grabbed the remote and slo-mo'd the plate at the plate 3X, believing he was safe.

So damn close IMO, that if the ump called him safe, I probably wouldn't have a problem with it. Much closer than it appeared live.

Breathtaking game!

Now roll these hacks, Yanks!!

That was a great play but the runner (I don't remember who that was) should have been easily safe at home if he had stayed on the third base bag as he should have. The time lost coming back to tag was all that was missing at the end...

That was a remarkable game...a classic in every sense. I only feel bad for my friend (a Tigers fan) who was on a plane for NYC at 8 a.m. this morning, thinking he was going to scalp a ticket to Game 1 of the Tigers-Yankees ALDS. Ouch. His consolation prize...he is going to see Springsteen tomorrow night.

Perhaps Leyland was looking ahead to a possible series with the Yankees and needed other guys in the pen to stay fresh in case they needed them for the following night? :unsure:

Twas a great game..especially seeing how it was the first baseball I watched on the TV all year. Only thing that annoyed me was the announcers practically begging for Detroit to win...

Man, I just have no clue how the Twins can be mentally ready for a game this evening though.

I went out and watched that whole game in a bar after work last nite. WOW! What an awesome baseball game. I haven't seen a game that good in a long time.

Simon, I agree, the 91 series was the best I ever saw.

The Tigers left Rodney in because they had noone else they could throw out there with any confidence.

That was a remarkable game...a classic in every sense. I only feel bad for my friend (a Tigers fan) who was on a plane for NYC at 8 a.m. this morning, thinking he was going to scalp a ticket to Game 1 of the Tigers-Yankees ALDS. Ouch. His consolation prize...he is going to see Springsteen tomorrow night.

Is that the Born to Run show? If so, he'll never forget hearing Jungleland live. Truly an incredible song.