Bobby Bowden being forced out at FSU

TheBlackMamba

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4531451

I think this is a shame. I have been an FSU fan for as long can remember and those late 80's and 90's FSU teams were some the best collection of talent any college program has seen. Bowden is one of the top 5 greatest college football coaches of all time and to be treated the way he is being treated is a travesty. I know the program has slipped in the past decade but the man is a legend and deserves better.

No, it isn't a shame. Its time for Bobby to step down. No one is attempting to diminish the great things Bobby did for FSU. He made FSU. He is FSU. His name will always be synonymous with the Seminoles. That being said, his time has run its course. Its time for Bobby to go. His decline started with the loss of Richt (and the utterly stupid decision to promote his idiot son, Jeff, to OC) and has continued to this day.

Mickey Andrews leaves at the end of this year. He's already said so. With his leaving, the defensive side of the ball is ripe and ready for an overhaul. Jimbo should oversee that as the new HC. He's already made great strides on the offensive side of the ball, now its time to see what he can bring to the table as HC. We can't sit here and let this program rot from the inside, which is a real danger if Bobby is allowed to continue coaching. There is a serious disconnect within the coaching staff because of the arrangement, and it is hurting the team on the field. The team we have is more talented than the 2-3 record reflects, and a cohesive, coherent coaching staff is the only way to get the most out of them.

Around here, the overwhelming majority of people not only agree with the Chair of the board, but are also wondering what took so long for a big wig to finally make the call. We all want to thank Bobby for everything he's done, but its time for him to go. Better for him to gracefully accept it and go out in style being celebrated instead of having to be forced out the door.

But its time to move on to the future here at FSU.

No, it isn't a shame. Its time for Bobby to step down. No one is attempting to diminish the great things Bobby did for FSU. He made FSU. He is FSU. His name will always be synonymous with the Seminoles. That being said, his time has run its course. Its time for Bobby to go. His decline started with the loss of Richt (and the utterly stupid decision to promote his idiot son, Jeff, to OC) and has continued to this day.

Mickey Andrews leaves at the end of this year. He's already said so. With his leaving, the defensive side of the ball is ripe and ready for an overhaul. Jimbo should oversee that as the new HC. He's already made great strides on the offensive side of the ball, now its time to see what he can bring to the table as HC. We can't sit here and let this program rot from the inside, which is a real danger if Bobby is allowed to continue coaching. There is a serious disconnect within the coaching staff because of the arrangement, and it is hurting the team on the field. The team we have is more talented than the 2-3 record reflects, and a cohesive, coherent coaching staff is the only way to get the most out of them.

Around here, the overwhelming majority of people not only agree with the Chair of the board, but are also wondering what took so long for a big wig to finally make the call. We all want to thank Bobby for everything he's done, but its time for him to go. Better for him to gracefully accept it and go out in style being celebrated instead of having to be forced out the door.

^^^What he said.

I hate to echo what the last poster said, but you're exactly right. Great post.

Just to echo a little and add to what you already posted:

Bobby's decline started not only with the loss of Richt, but the utterly stupid decision to draw a line in the sand with the administration and demand that they let him hire Jeff or BB would quit. He bent and twisted the state's nepotism laws to suit his and his family's whims, and then refused to do anything when Jeff's offenses floundered and his recruiting sucked. The boosters had to buy JB out to get that change.

I think Mickey's already checked out. He didn't want to come back this year (or last, IIRC) and Bobby had to ask him to come back. I think Mickey's been done since his son died and he learned that he wasn't going to be the next FSU HC. Jimbo's been doing offensive and defensive recruiting, from what I've read on other boards.

From what I've read, there is a serious rift between the offensive (Jimbo's guys) and defensive coaches (Bobby's guys). There have been whispers of confrontations on airplanes after road games and in front of the team in the locker room, among others. Chuck Amato and Jimbo have reportedly bumped heads a few times, and there's even rumors that Bobby has been undermining Jimbo in an effort to remain relevant.

It's a bad situation all around, and Bobby is in the middle of it. It's time to thank him for everything he's done, give him a cushy job in the administration or boosters, and move on to the next era.

I think Mickey's been done since his son died and he learned that he wasn't going to be the next FSU HC

good point. i think the whole coach in waiting idea is ridiculous. mickey andrews should be the next HC. it doesnt surprise me that there are rifts going on between bobby and jimbos guys. why the hell would jimbo coach into bobbys philosophy when he knows in a few years that its going to be his team. i sure they have had issues regarding who and who not to recruit.

Why is everyone under the impression that Bobby has been coaching or recruiting for this team over the past decade? He has left all of this up to his assistants. Bobby has remained the face of the team for booster purposes only. And now that is starting to suffer and that is why he is being asked to step down. Steve Spurrier was asked in a pre game interview in '96 what the coaching differences were between he and Bobby? Steve's quote " Let's get one thing strait, Bobby has not coached that team in 2 years, I am a hands on guy and Bobby like to delegate those responsibilities to his OC/DC. They pretty much run the team and Bobby overseas."

Spurrier was dead on. Bowden did not refute it only to say that he trusts his coaches and their decision making. the reason UF is so good is because Meyer actually gives a **** about the players he signs. Bobby gave that up a loooong time ago. He was great 10+ years ago and that ship has sailed.

As a long time Nole fan I don't think Fisher is the answer either. The offense is better and Tricket has done an excellent job with the OL, the fact of the matter is the program has no identity, no face, no responsible party. As a highly touted recruits parent would you want some assistant coach coming to your house or the Head Coach? Meyer, Shannon, Carol all do this and thats why they get the best players.

Get rid of the whole lot and start over. Put manual in and let him get his feet wet. We can't even get up on a team to put our 2nd team in, that is sad.

When someone hangs on far past their prime, your hand is forced, no matter who it is. Joe Paterno is still at Penn State because they are relevant, they recruit well, and they win- at FSU, there has been a drastic decline for almost a decade now.

Seems simple to me...

Just to echo a little and add to what you already posted:

Bobby's decline started not only with the loss of Richt, but the utterly stupid decision to draw a line in the sand with the administration and demand that they let him hire Jeff or BB would quit. He bent and twisted the state's nepotism laws to suit his and his family's whims, and then refused to do anything when Jeff's offenses floundered and his recruiting sucked. The boosters had to buy JB out to get that change.

I think Mickey's already checked out. He didn't want to come back this year (or last, IIRC) and Bobby had to ask him to come back. I think Mickey's been done since his son died and he learned that he wasn't going to be the next FSU HC. Jimbo's been doing offensive and defensive recruiting, from what I've read on other boards.

From what I've read, there is a serious rift between the offensive (Jimbo's guys) and defensive coaches (Bobby's guys). There have been whispers of confrontations on airplanes after road games and in front of the team in the locker room, among others. Chuck Amato and Jimbo have reportedly bumped heads a few times, and there's even rumors that Bobby has been undermining Jimbo in an effort to remain relevant.

It's a bad situation all around, and Bobby is in the middle of it. It's time to thank him for everything he's done, give him a cushy job in the administration or boosters, and move on to the next era.

Yup. We hear this all the time too. There are serious problems between the offensive and defensive coaching staffs, and it's well known that Fisher and Amato hate each other (i can't blame Fisher, given the horrific and undisciplined play by our LBs, but then again, undisciplined play has always been a hallmark of Amato). Amato is going to remain employed by FSU for roughly 4 seconds after Fisher takes over. He'll be the first to go.

But the problems run deep. The offense has been run by Fisher and we're seeing the positive results, especially in the development of Ponder and the WRs. We are seeing the Trickett effect along the OL. However, the defensive side of the ball is still all Bobby's guys, and currently, theres nothing Fisher can do about that.

Why is everyone under the impression that Bobby has been coaching or recruiting for this team over the past decade? He has left all of this up to his assistants. Bobby has remained the face of the team for booster purposes only. And now that is starting to suffer and that is why he is being asked to step down. Steve Spurrier was asked in a pre game interview in '96 what the coaching differences were between he and Bobby? Steve's quote " Let's get one thing strait, Bobby has not coached that team in 2 years, I am a hands on guy and Bobby like to delegate those responsibilities to his OC/DC. They pretty much run the team and Bobby overseas."

Spurrier was dead on. Bowden did not refute it only to say that he trusts his coaches and their decision making. the reason UF is so good is because Meyer actually gives a **** about the players he signs. Bobby gave that up a loooong time ago. He was great 10+ years ago and that ship has sailed.

As a long time Nole fan I don't think Fisher is the answer either. The offense is better and Tricket has done an excellent job with the OL, the fact of the matter is the program has no identity, no face, no responsible party. As a highly touted recruits parent would you want some assistant coach coming to your house or the Head Coach? Meyer, Shannon, Carol all do this and thats why they get the best players.

Get rid of the whole lot and start over. Put manual in and let him get his feet wet. We can't even get up on a team to put our 2nd team in, that is sad.

First off, Bobby was directly for hiring Jeff and directly responsible for preventing the university from getting rid of Jeff for a number of years. Just because he didn't have his hand in the play-by-play coaching aspect didn't mean he didn't have a large role in directing the team.

Right now Fisher is coaching the offense, but with Bobby still around, you have 2 warring factions with Fisher's guys and Bobby's guys. Kids are getting 2 different philosophies from the coaching staff and you can't have that. You say there is no identity, well, turn the team over to Fisher and let him run things the way he wants to. Let him establish an identity, which he can't with Bobby still hanging around. Fisher is a well-known coach who will be the face of the program. But he can't fulfill this until he has absolute control over his team and doesn't have to worry about stepping on the toes of Bobby's guys or going against Bobby's ideas.

One way or another, when Mickey leaves after this season, Fisher better be given full control to assemble a new defensive staff. There are no 2 ways around it. Like it or not, Fisher is going to be given his shot with the program before they hire another coach. Given what he's done with the offense, i'm excited to see what he can do with full control of the program and team.

It looked to me like he (BB) and Joe Pa decided to keep on coaching, hoping to amass at least 8 more wins than the other, to end their careers as the 'winningest coach of all time'. Neither seem likely to be challenged in our lifetime.

Wasn't BB/FSU discredited with 10 or so losses in the offseason for some shennanigans from a few years ago? Pretty sure I heard something about that. If so, it appears the 'Battle for the Best' is over, Joe Pa wins and now FSU is pushing out #2..

No?

Yup. We hear this all the time too. There are serious problems between the offensive and defensive coaching staffs, and it's well known that Fisher and Amato hate each other (i can't blame Fisher, given the horrific and undisciplined play by our LBs, but then again, undisciplined play has always been a hallmark of Amato). Amato is going to remain employed by FSU for roughly 4 seconds after Fisher takes over. He'll be the first to go.

But the problems run deep. The offense has been run by Fisher and we're seeing the positive results, especially in the development of Ponder and the WRs. We are seeing the Trickett effect along the OL. However, the defensive side of the ball is still all Bobby's guys, and currently, theres nothing Fisher can do about that.

Yep. I particularly like the develpoment of Ponder as proof of what Jimbo can do on the offensive side of the ball. We haven't seen a QB progress in a while; rather, we've seen more QBs regress over the last 7-8 years.

Here's an interesting tidbit from an SI article:

According to the ceremonial titles described in FSU's media guide, head coach-in-waiting Jimbo Fisher officially is the fourth-most-powerful member of the staff behind Bowden, associate head coach/defensive coordinator Mickey Andrews and associate head coach/linebackers coach Chuck Amato. This arrangement persists, even though Fisher and hand-picked assistants James Coley and Rick Trickett are the ones convincing most of the better recruits to come to Tallahassee.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ.../#ixzz0TBVt5fPw

Yep. I particularly like the develpoment of Ponder as proof of what Jimbo can do on the offensive side of the ball. We haven't seen a QB progress in a while; rather, we've seen more QBs regress over the last 7-8 years.

Here's an interesting tidbit from an SI article:

According to the ceremonial titles described in FSU's media guide, head coach-in-waiting Jimbo Fisher officially is the fourth-most-powerful member of the staff behind Bowden, associate head coach/defensive coordinator Mickey Andrews and associate head coach/linebackers coach Chuck Amato. This arrangement persists, even though Fisher and hand-picked assistants James Coley and Rick Trickett are the ones convincing most of the better recruits to come to Tallahassee.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ.../#ixzz0TBVt5fPw

Fisher is the one responsible for bringing Greg Reid to Tallahassee. He wasn't even a target until Jimbo suggested him.

Quick update after listening to the local sports guy on the way home:

The general consensus among the local witers/sports personalities, etc, who all have sources inside the program is that FSU wanted to make some type of announcement tomorrow that is now being pushed back. Word is that FSU wants Bobby gone this year, but Bobby is going to fight it to the bitter end. This could get ugly.

FSU fans, brace yourself for it, because all weekend douchenozzles like kirk herbstreet are going to be trashing FSU for "treating a living legend so bad."

Fisher is the one responsible for bringing Greg Reid to Tallahassee. He wasn't even a target until Jimbo suggested him.

Yeah, they talked about that in there. I think there were a couple current defensive guys that Fisher closed or recruited, and a couple defensive recruits that he is actively working on.

I agree with the author, it's hard to be taken seriously as the HCIW if you're still underneath Chuck the Chest on the organziational flow chart. But unfortunately even though he doesn't wield as much power as MA or CTC, people are starting to turn on Fisher as somehow already proving that he's a bust and won't amount to much as HC.

Quick update after listening to the local sports guy on the way home:

The general consensus among the local witers/sports personalities, etc, who all have sources inside the program is that FSU wanted to make some type of announcement tomorrow that is now being pushed back. Word is that FSU wants Bobby gone this year, but Bobby is going to fight it to the bitter end. This could get ugly.

FSU fans, brace yourself for it, because all weekend douchenozzles like kirk herbstreet are going to be trashing FSU for "treating a living legend so bad."

Was that on the Jeff Cameron show?

As for the douchenozzles like Herbstriet - who gives a ****. We owe Bobby everything for building this program - everything except the right to tear it down. And he's been given more than enough time to right the ship and get the program back on top.