New Pearl Jam Album, "Backspacer"

Andrew in CA

I just picked this up last week and am really starting to dig it. Granted, I am a huge Pearl Jam fan, so I may be biased, but I think a couple tracks on here are amongst their best work yet, specifically "Amongst the Waves" and "The Fixer." At first I was somewhat turned off, since much of the first half of the album is punk-influenced, a genre I don't care for. But after listening with headphones on, there's a lot going on in the background on some of these tracks, and Jeff Ament is letting it rip like never before, on almost every track.

They sound a lot looser here, like the previous album, and I think it works. The songs are short, crisp, and rollicking. The two ballads on here are obviously from Vedder's "Into the Wild" sessions, a must-have IMO. However, I think the ballads are out of place here and are kinda weak- they break the flow of the album as a whole.

Overall, I'd give this album a 7 out of 10. Solid, definitely worth picking up if you like Pearl Jam. It probably won't turn on any newbies, but they're past the point of caring now, and I think that's a positive for the music.

Anyone else check it out yet?

I just picked this up last week and am really starting to dig it. Granted, I am a huge Pearl Jam fan, so I may be biased, but I think a couple tracks on here are amongst their best work yet, specifically "Amongst the Waves" and "The Fixer." At first I was somewhat turned off, since much of the first half of the album is punk-influenced, a genre I don't care for. But after listening with headphones on, there's a lot going on in the background on some of these tracks, and Jeff Ament is letting it rip like never before, on almost every track.

They sound a lot looser here, like the previous album, and I think it works. The songs are short, crisp, and rollicking. The two ballads on here are obviously from Vedder's "Into the Wild" sessions, a must-have IMO. However, I think the ballads are out of place here and are kinda weak- they break the flow of the album as a whole.

Overall, I'd give this album a 7 out of 10. Solid, definitely worth picking up if you like Pearl Jam. It probably won't turn on any newbies, but they're past the point of caring now, and I think that's a positive for the music.

Anyone else check it out yet?

Love it! But alas, I too am a huge PJ fan so my opinion is biased.

i have been what you may consider a Pearl Jam 'hater' for ever.....i love this CD. When I first saw it on the Target ad I had no idea it was them. Vedder's voice sounds different(which is better in my eyes). My friends cannot believe I actually have and listen to a Pearl Jam CD....although I did start listening to Vedder during his "Into the Wilderness" venture....