It all starts up front

We never had a chance this year. The FO blew it before the first game. We should be starting on o-line of:

Oher-Levitre-Hangertner-Wood-Walker. They wasted our 1st pick on a pop warner OLB instead of the best left tackle left on the board. That mistake costed us the playoffs this year. Michael Oher is a beast for the Ravens. What are we getting out of Maybin? Trent could be very good behind a good o-line and we have a plethera of skilled players.

OBD is always trying to "outsmart" people, only to show everyone who are the consistent dummies.

This year is over, we're not making the playoffs. Please fire Jauron and Brandon. Next year get us the best Left tackle and outside linebacker available. Mr. Wilson...Please pay for a great coach. I have been a faithful fan for 30 years, even played at Rich in h.s. championship...this team is painful to watch.

We never had a chance this year. The FO blew it before the first game. We should be starting on o-line of:

Oher-Levitre-Hangertner-Wood-Walker. They wasted our 1st pick on a pop warner OLB instead of the best left tackle left on the board. That mistake costed us the playoffs this year. Michael Oher is a beast for the Ravens. What are we getting out of Maybin? Trent could be very good behind a good o-line and we have a plethera of skilled players.

OBD is always trying to "outsmart" people, only to show everyone who are the consistent dummies.

This year is over, we're not making the playoffs. Please fire Jauron and Brandon. Next year get us the best Left tackle and outside linebacker available. Mr. Wilson...Please pay for a great coach. I have been a faithful fan for 30 years, even played at Rich in h.s. championship...this team is painful to watch.

I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread. I could've recited what it said before I clicked on it, because I've read too much of this same crappola already. But I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

You have absolutely zero cause to be calling Maybin a "pop warner OLB". He's actually played reasonably well when put in the game. Yes, I know he has zero sacks, but he applied constant pressure against New England, and looked good (even against the run) in spot duty against TB. I don't really know why he didn't play more against NO, but give the guy more than 3 regular season games (after missing all of training camp, by the way), before you have a melt-down over it.

Buffalo picked offensive linemen in each of the first two rounds, guys that appear as thought they're going to be pretty good pros, and yet people like you B word that they didn't take the one you wanted. Obviously they felt like Bell/Walker would be servicible at LT, and there's no way they could've counted on Butler sustaining a season-ending knee injury. You know, 21 other teams passed on this guy as well, and plenty of them could've used a good LT (I cite off the top of my head: Detroit, KC, Seattle, Oakland, GB, SF, Hou, SD, TB). Obviously, there were some questions regarding whether or not the guy was worth a top draft pick, or else he wouldn't have fallen to No. 23. Also, I'm just curious, how closely have you watched Oher this year? Or are you simply making conclusions based on the performance of the whole team? Also, it probably doesn't hurt Oher's performance that he's playing in front of one of the highest-rated QBs in the game through 3 weeks.

The only thing painful here is reading the postings of those that think they know everything based off of 3 games of a guy's rookie season.

Agree, once again we waste too many picks on small players or DB players. Ngata is the best DT in the game. We are too small and not physical across the board.

I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread. I could've recited what it said before I clicked on it, because I've read too much of this same crappola already. But I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

You have absolutely zero cause to be calling Maybin a "pop warner OLB". He's actually played reasonably well when put in the game. Yes, I know he has zero sacks, but he applied constant pressure against New England, and looked good (even against the run) in spot duty against TB. I don't really know why he didn't play more against NO, but give the guy more than 3 regular season games (after missing all of training camp, by the way), before you have a melt-down over it.

Buffalo picked offensive linemen in each of the first two rounds, guys that appear as thought they're going to be pretty good pros, and yet people like you B word that they didn't take the one you wanted. Obviously they felt like Bell/Walker would be servicible at LT, and there's no way they could've counted on Butler sustaining a season-ending knee injury. You know, 21 other teams passed on this guy as well, and plenty of them could've used a good LT (I cite off the top of my head: Detroit, KC, Seattle, Oakland, GB, SF, Hou, SD, TB). Obviously, there were some questions regarding whether or not the guy was worth a top draft pick, or else he wouldn't have fallen to No. 23. Also, I'm just curious, how closely have you watched Oher this year? Or are you simply making conclusions based on the performance of the whole team? Also, it probably doesn't hurt Oher's performance that he's playing in front of one of the highest-rated QBs in the game through 3 weeks.

The only thing painful here is reading the postings of those that think they know everything based off of 3 games of a guy's rookie season.

Hey cool aid drinker. I watch every Ravens game, specifically Oher. Not because I wanted him but because he was the best left tackle available when the bills picked #11. Maybin had one good season on a loaded Penn State defense. They had three great linebackers and oppenents had to run to his side sometimes is why he had tackles for losses, a good secondary and a offensive that gave them big leads helped him with sacks. When they ran straight at him he became part of the secondary. Until he shows something I think Oher was the pick at #!!. Why not base my opinion on 3 games, that's all they have played. You must be a liberal to deny facts and evidence.

Hey cool aid drinker. I watch every Ravens game, specifically Oher. Not because I wanted him but because he was the best left tackle available when the bills picked #11. Maybin had one good season on a loaded Penn State defense. They had three great linebackers and oppenents had to run to his side sometimes is why he had tackles for losses, a good secondary and a offensive that gave them big leads helped him with sacks. When they ran straight at him he became part of the secondary. Until he shows something I think Oher was the pick at #!!. Why not base my opinion on 3 games, that's all they have played. You must be a liberal to deny facts and evidence.

1) My political views are none of your business--if you want to sling political mud go over to the PPP board--but your political analytical skills leave more than a little to be desired. Also you sound like more than a fool insulting an entire group of people with a certain viewpoint based on a football discussion.

2) So you didn't want Oher when Buffalo picked Maybin? I guess that means you're as clueless as those you mean to degrade with your original post then, right?

3) Opponents' running to Maybin's side shouldn't increase his TFL numbers. Speed DEs get most of their non-sack TFL's chasing down running plays that go AWAY from their side of the line of scrimmage. Having been a Bills' fan for 30 years, I'd think that you'd know this having watched Bruce Smith play. And regardless of situations, guys can either rush the passer or they cannot. I sincerely doubt that college opponents just gave up trying to block Maybin just because they were behind.

4) Nice job completely ignoring the points I made in my post about Buffalo drafting 2 solid OL in the first 2 rounds and Baltimore's QB play, then you go on to say that I'm the one that ignores the facts...ever heard of duality?

I never said you couldn't base an opinion off of 3 games, what I said was that it's more than a little stupid to make absolute statements like "Buffalo drafted a pop warner LB" after giving the guy 3 games of spot duty to prove himself and claiming that the selection "costed [i think you meant "cost"] us the playoffs this year". If you don't understand why those are absurd statements to make, then I'm afraid our little debate is over.

Guest dog14787

I agree with a few points that have been made on this thread, especially on our smallish overall team size(freester) which is leading to more injuries and revamping the O-line like we did in the off season really pisses me off!!!!

DJ and Russ Brandon are a joke and the joke is on us. :D

I agree with a few points you have made, especially on our smallish overall team size which is leading to more injuries and revamping the O-line like we did in the off season really pisses me off!!!!

What are you basing Buffalo's supposed "smallish overall team size" on?

I just looked at a bunch of rosters on NFL.com, and we're no bigger/smaller than the rest of the league...except at WR, where we really haven't sustained any injuries (knock on wood).

Also, and perhaps you were being sarcastic, but I'd call coming into the season with 4 new starters on the O-line, with two high draft picks and a free agent acquistion, aggressively revamping the line, wouldnt' you?

For all the Oher lovers, there was a guy named Mike Williams that looked pretty good during most of his rookie season back in 2002... Not saying that Oher wont be a stud, but 3 games does not a career make. Oher was universally ranked as the 4th best tackle in the draft. Having him probably would have helped, but who knows how Maybin's career will go? If he develops into a stud pass rusher, then I think the front office made the right move. Meanwhile, they picked up a good, young center in free agency, landed arguably the two best OGs in the draft -- and just picked up a guy from Green Bay that was ranked by most experts as the 5th-8th best OT in the draft. So you can't say that the FO didn't do their best to address the OL this year. Prior to this year, most certainly... but not this year.

Guest dog14787
What are you basing Buffalo's supposed "smallish overall team size" on?

I just looked at a bunch of rosters on NFL.com, and we're no bigger/smaller than the rest of the league...except at WR, where we really haven't sustained any injuries (knock on wood).

Also, and perhaps you were being sarcastic, but I'd call coming into the season with 4 new starters on the O-line, with two high draft picks and a free agent acquistion, aggressively revamping the line, wouldnt' you?

I suppose both of us are guilty of not offering up some facts to base our opinions.

To be clear (thought I was), revamping our O-line was the stupidest thing the Buffalo Bills did in the off season.

The reason he didn't play much against NO is that the coaches don't share your enthusiasm over his performance in the weeks prior. I think it is way too early, by about a year and a half, to pronounce him to be a bust but that having been said, the front office is not getting it done. It is their job to get it done. And if they don't, they will eventually be looking for jobs, and rightfully so. I have high hopes for Maybin not because the FO values him so highly but despite that. No substitute for speed, no substitute for quickness, that is why I like him and am optimistic about his future.

You can always come up with reasons that seem logical as to why they passed on any given player, such as the one you give here, that other people didn't like Oher either. But in the end, they are and should be judged on finding the diamonds in the draft despite whatever reasons there might be to pass on a guy who turns out to be a real player. Being right when other teams are wrong on a player is what builds championship teams.

I agree with a few points that have been made on this thread, especially on our smallish overall team size(freester) which is leading to more injuries and revamping the O-line like we did in the off season really pisses me off!!!!

As we were reminded every game by the TV announcers last season, we had the biggest O-Line in the NFL, how did that work out? Not very good. Size isn't everything. Have you ever seen Anthony Munoz, maybe the best ever? I met him last year, and he is tall, but he doesn't have big fat rolls hanging around his belt, just to have size. Strength, speed and intelligence are far more important for an O-Lineman than excess body fat.

As we were reminded every game by the TV announcers last season, we had the biggest O-Line in the NFL, how did that work out? Not very good. Size isn't everything. Have you ever seen Anthony Munoz, maybe the best ever? I met him last year, and he is tall, but he doesn't have big fat rolls hanging around his belt, just to have size. Strength, speed and intelligence are far more important for an O-Lineman than excess body fat.

the size issue applies specifically to the WR, DE,DT and LB. Even Stroud who I like alot is a little man compared to Kris Jenkins, Ngata, Ted Washington, Pat Williams. Wilfork etc.

You must be a conservative with liberal demons dancing in your head and death panels created by foreign born Presidents invading your dreams.

It is too early to give up on Maybin and too early to know how Oher will make out. Certainly, no one could argue with the need for a good LT but no one could seriously argue against the need for a good pass rusher. I think in the long run that Oher will prove to have been the better pick but that is based on my faith in our front office getting it wrong. Our personnel people are the George Costanzas of the NFL, everything they do is wrong thus, the opposite of what they do is always right. All they have to do is do the opposite of what they think they should do and we will be champions in no time.

This is my original point. As of today I would have loved to get Oher and pair him with Walker. Add them to the three very tough and talented guys in the middle and we could legitiamtely thought about the playoffs. They had a chance to get it right this year, they were close but even Jouron admits they made a mistake with their tackles. I still think Maybin is another project, a tweener that needs to grow and learn counter moves or he's a wasted pick. OBD makes a living out of blowing first round picks. I like the guards and DB's in this years draft, but I'm very skeptical regarding Maybin.

I will throw out a political reference out if I think it fits. Maybe you thought cash for clunkers was going to save the earth too!