this IS whats wrong with the offense

The difference between Romo checking down and Trent checking down is simple. Romo checks down when he sees that a better opportunity for positive yards exists closer to the LOS. Trent checks down when he hears footsteps. And he hears them ALOT.

When your OL gives you only 2 seconds, you can only have a single look before dumping off..

Even when he has time it doesn't change, it's eyes on one WR and if he is covered he automatically goes to his check down, it's too quick, he needs to go through his progressions when he has the time to do it

Its amazing how much a good QB correlates to winning in the NFL. Its also amazing that in 50 years the Bills have been led by only 3 great QBs: Kemp, Ferguson, and Kelly. (You could throw Lamonica in there because he and Kemp worked in tandem, but Lamonica had bigger success after he left). And only during the eras of those 3 QBs did the Bill win big, or usually have even winning seasons. I don't think you could call Flutie a great QB even though he was a great leader and gutsy character and did lead us to the playoffs.

Anyway, the Bills do seem kind of clueless about selecting QBs or even putting a priority on them. TE came in the 3rd round. What about all those selections in the top 15 picks we have had in the last decade? What if we had selected one less DB along the way and went with a QB. Anyway, the Bills get what they pay for in QBs based on the draft priority they give the position.

And giving up a 1st for Bledsoe was just plain dumb.

Trent has been in this league for three years now. If he himself can't smell/see a blitz coming and change the play, we have a problem.

Of course Trent will tell you that the defense threw some things at him he wasn't prepared for. What does he do in the film room (if he actually goes). Watch Simpson reruns ? He is allowed to watch as much film as he likes, he choose to either attend only the required time or he isn't paying attention.

I am so sick of the excuses, he is the face of the Bills, the franchise QB. Strive for excellence and be the leader for crying out loud. The FO has put so much faith in him, they didn't even sign a QB that could really challenge him.

The difference between Romo checking down and Trent checking down is simple. Romo checks down when he sees that a better opportunity for positive yards exists closer to the LOS. Trent checks down when he hears footsteps. And he hears them ALOT.

lol. hopefully he doesnt hear them sunday. i wanna see a blow out in our favor. is that too much to ask for. ill be good for a week. i promise.

i dont think trent sucks. here is the way i see why our offense struggled last game.

60% play calling. includes avp and jauron

(51% avp/9% jauron)

20% offensive line

20% trents lack in execution/confidence/flutie magic. all qbs have pressure. some qbs find a way to make something out of nothing. trent has gotten out of trouble with some cool runs. he just needs more get-out-of-trouble-must-convert-3rd down-experience. maybe he should watch some big ben play highlights all day long.

call me crazy (like everyone else), but thats how i see it.

go bills!

Very good analysis. I totally agree with you about Trent. Plays like a robot. Looks constantly tentative and never real comfortable. He is not starter material in the NFL. JP was not starter material, Bledsoe was washed up, and so was Holcomb. And RJ was not even backup material. God, our front office has no clue on what a QB should be able to do.

Also agree about TO. Looks to be going thru the motions. His heart does not look into it. He and the Bills do not seem to be a good fit. Do TE and TO ever talk? Does Trent ever talk with any of his receivers? Very dysfunctional offense. Lose to Miami and the bottom falls out. We get embarrased and Dick is gone, hello April fools. Hello Fitzie.

I really despise Miami, but if it means that D.J. gets canned then Go stupid Fish!! (for just 1 week that is).... I know that WGR550 Radio disagrees with this point, but I knew that when D.J. deferred receiving the ball until the second half (like he almost always or always does) that we were in trouble. Not so much because of the reprecutions if they score first so much (even though N.O. offense is/was ranked #1 and I'd rather start with a lead than play catchup with them), but because of the mindset of D.J. playing not to lose (therefore almost always loses), keeping it close, etc.....I just can't stand the whole philosophy of D.J. and unfortunately as head coach of the Bills the team, including and especially Trent Edwards

have been brainwashed with D.J.'s methodology! I cannot stand this guy anymore! Lazy players not concerned about winning games Love D.J. because he's easy and a pushover! They practice soft most of the off-season and then when the season comes they are not as conditioned for the rigors and pounding that NFL players take on a weekly basis. Therefore

the players get injured easier than their opponents generally because they are not in game shape (they are in lame shape..at least some of them). D.J. may have ruined T. Edwards because he is getting worse each year instead of better. Before he was given limitations and brainwashed he did try different types of throws that he just doesn't even attempt to make now. I worry that a bad record may not be enough to get D.J. fired seeing that he extended half-way through last year for three years for 3 million a year! I don't see Ralph Wilson taking a huge loss like that quite yet! Look at the Jets though....New coach w/good credentials, New QB moved up in the draft for, picked up several good free agents, some being from Baltimore where Rex coached etc......All we need to do is get a personnel guy that's top-notch ie: Bill Polian, Scott Pioli etc....then a Bill Cowher, Mike Shanahan, John Gruden or someone that has a good track record, and a Top tier

QB in the draft, (even if u have to trade someone like M.Lynch to get that #1 pick), and use your second pick for a very good left tackle (find a way to get back into the 1st round like N.E. does most years)....and wham all the sudden you are on the right track to building your team, evaluating the guys you currently have...and purging the ones who don't make the cut.....and basically it sounds like a rebuilding program!.....When your foundation is not solid this is what needs to be done otherwise everything will eventually collapse from top to bottom and this is exactly what is slowly but surely happening to the Bills organization....Russ Brandon needs to stick to marketing as he isn't a football guy...he's a salesman!!

Geeeeeeeeeez, here we go again rebuilding...it's now clear to me after this long blog and thinking deeply about our team!

GOOOOOOOOOO Billlllls!

When your OL gives you only 2 seconds, you can only have a single look before dumping off..

?? Many times hes had time or throws the ball immediately to the flat even when that receiver is well covered. This response is inaccurate. Yes sometimes he has no time, but I dont see him look through progressions when he does have time. In a way its like when RJ refused to throw the ball away to keep his rating up. Trent must know if he just keeps hitting that 2 yarder, hell keep playing in the NFL.

When the kid has time he is fine....we completely fired the line protecting him last year.

Now this year's replacements are young and learning.

Edwards had time in games 1 & 2 and produced. In game 3 the Saints gave the defensive coordinator the game ball for complex Blitz packages that our offensive coordinator (not our QB) did not have a blocking scheme to counter it effectively.

Its nice to talk about looking off WR's and going to the 2nd & 3rd option....the problem for ANY Buffalo Qb the last 5 years has been he rarely has the time to do so !

ok again,....when he DOES have time, he still just throws it to the first read. Watch his eyes on any replay. Also there are many plays that he just throws it immediately. This would be fine if the guy was open but its almost always a guy thats covered and makes no rac yards. 3 yard completions.

Trent is actually going through reads/ progressions on most passing plays and the proof is there if you look at his helmet/ eyes so it is wrong to say he's deciding which guy to throw it to before every snap. He just hasn't had the Nads to let the ball go into any sort of tight coverage for the most part, even if it's just one on one coverage. This he needs to learn to do.

youre right about one on one coverage, but watch closer on deep balls, the ball is hiked and he just throws it, no helmet or eyes moving across the field. I knew on every deep throw this year that he was going deep by his drop and how he reared back. If I can tell before he even throws it, It's obvious hes already made up his mind. how do you defend the insta dump offs? look again.

youre right about one on one coverage, but watch closer on deep balls, the ball is hiked and he just throws it, no helmet or eyes moving across the field. I knew on every deep throw this year that he was going deep by his drop and how he reared back. If I can tell before he even throws it, It's obvious hes already made up his mind. how do you defend the insta dump offs? look again.

He did that 3 times vs Tampa Bay with 2 going for TDs and one a drop. Last week aginst NO he missed badly on 2 like this to TO. As long as it's a good throw I don't see the problem. Sometime reading isn't needed. As far as QBs throwing bombs, his success rate has been pretty good this year. 3 of 5 as I see it.

We know our pass blocking is suspect, so why not more plays where he has no reads? Just drop back and throw it. When CB is 10 yards off TO, wing him a pass out there quick. No thinking, just throw. Let TO make a play. He can do it. Send TO or Lee ten yards downfield and cut to the sidelines. Trent throws it before he makes his cut. No read, just go to Lee or whoever. Would be hard to stop and gain confidence I'd think. But then again, I don't have a degree from Harvard.

Well Ill try to uncomplicate it but its kind of complicated.

Of course other factors could improve the performance of the O, things like better coaching, better effort from TO etc.

But the main reason is this... T Edwards.

More specifically ....

1.He is making his mind up before each play where he's going with the ball.

2.His only deep ball is the fly route which anyone can throw since the read for that is pre-snap.

3.His outlet on all plays is the 2 yard out or "flat" pattern. A pattern that is ripe for a pick 6 sooner or later.

4.As the defense gets closer and tighter he throws shorter and quicker Vs throwing over the top like he should.

5.Every third down goes to Reed. When Reed gets doubled he scrambles or throws the 2 yard out.

6.He hasnt shown the ability or "balls" to look off his first read and look "up" the field for a mid range route.

When you see other QB's pump faking, scrambling and making plays, and 40 year old Brett farve winning in spectacular fashion, how can we say Edwards has what it takes? Really how many mid range throws has this guy ever made? I remember very few and all of them were guys he locked into the whole way, never a second or third option. Where are the 15 yard dig or crossing routes? I never see these or even a skinny post. Even JP threw a nice skinny once a game. It seemed like there was one series in the saints game that they wanted to go to Evans, so it was a 3 yard curl, another 3 yarder and then an incomplete. He just doesnt have what it takes to make something happen if his first read isnt there. He plays QB like a robot IMHO.

Van pelt is a huge improvement but sadly this wont be enough, Edwards just doesnt have it. Great back up though.

Ps TO doesnt help, everytime I see him on a replay he is running 3/4 speed, not looking for the ball, or just plain dropping it. I think he is hurting the team at this point. Throw the ball to Evans for godsake!

Spot on and 100% accurate. Trent's decision is made up pre snap. There is 0 risk taking or ability to throw to the deeper route. If 2 receivers are open and one is 6 yards downfield and the other is 16 yards downfield, Trent is going with the safer 6 yard throw. NOW is that his own tendency or has he been coached to play this way (by the ultra conservative Juaron), we will certainly never know the answer, but I'm sure it's probably a combination of the two.

I've watched live from the stands during the first 2 home games Trent choose the wide open 5 yard route over the 20 yard down the field pass that is also wide open. Last week I saw T.O. open on more than several occasions most the time past 10-15 yards and every time Trent not only didn't throw to him, but didn't even look at that vicinity of the field. Guy has no ability to pressure a defense. That's why many times I'm actually pissed off after a 7 yard complete pass to a TE or RB or Josh Reed across the middle, and it's because I see T.O. or Lee Evans wide open an additional 10-20 yards down the field. Trent's passes between 10-30 yards have been nearly non-existent this year which is a frightening fact for a NFL starting QB.

Van pelt is a huge improvement but sadly this wont be enough, Edwards just doesnt have it. Great back up though.

Ps TO doesnt help, everytime I see him on a replay he is running 3/4 speed, not looking for the ball, or just plain dropping it. I think he is hurting the team at this point. Throw the ball to Evans for godsake!

What makes him a great back-up? A great back up is a good first stringer. TE is not that.

Very good analysis. I totally agree with you about Trent. Plays like a robot. Looks constantly tentative and never real comfortable. He is not starter material in the NFL. JP was not starter material, Bledsoe was washed up, and so was Holcomb. And RJ was not even backup material. God, our front office has no clue on what a QB should be able to do.

Also agree about TO. Looks to be going thru the motions. His heart does not look into it. He and the Bills do not seem to be a good fit. Do TE and TO ever talk? Does Trent ever talk with any of his receivers? Very dysfunctional offense. Lose to Miami and the bottom falls out. We get embarrased and Dick is gone, hello April fools. Hello Fitzie.

So which teams DO have a magic ability to figure out who will be successful QBs BEFORE they ever take a snap in the NFL? The league is full of successful QBs who never were figured to get there coming out of college (Brady, Favre, Big Ben, Flacco, Brees, even Peyton to some extent who had his problems winning big games at UT), as well as "can't miss" guys who did (Ryan Leaf being exhibit A). The bottom line is that while a QB can have a great college career and be a Combine stud, and ace the Wonderlich, there is no way to truly assess IN ADVANCE whether he can read defenses and execute at the SPEED of the NFL game while not getting "happy feet". You armchair GMs want to make alot of money? Come up with a reliable way to evaluate THAT.

Especially when 1 of those seconds is used getting the bad snap off the carpet.

It's a good thing this board wasn't around during the Super Bowl years because half the board would be calling for Frank Reich after Jim Kelly stunk it up at Pittsburgh or KC, which he did a few times. The guy had a bad game, big deal. Even though I hate those stupid QB ratings, many of you love them & he was #1 in the AFC going into the NO game. One bad game & AVP went from genius to dummy & Trent became as bad as JP. A lot of you have the attention span of a 2 year old.

So which teams DO have a magic ability to figure out who will be successful QBs BEFORE they ever take a snap in the NFL? The league is full of successful QBs who never were figured to get there coming out of college (Brady, Favre, Big Ben, Flacco, Brees, even Peyton to some extent who had his problems winning big games at UT), as well as "can't miss" guys who did (Ryan Leaf being exhibit A). The bottom line is that while a QB can have a great college career and be a Combine stud, and ace the Wonderlich, there is no way to truly assess IN ADVANCE whether he can read defenses and execute at the SPEED of the NFL game while not getting "happy feet". You armchair GMs want to make alot of money? Come up with a reliable way to evaluate THAT.

Whatever Green Bay used over the years seems to have worked. They have brought in a number of guys with starting potential over the years. They were smart enough to trade for Favre & during those years had Brunell, Warner, Hasselbeck, & Rodgers signed out of college. With the exception of Rodgers, the other guys weren't ranked as 1st day players in the draft. It would be nice if the Bills scouts were doing whatever GB was doing to evaluate QBs.