Injuries and conditioning

justnzane

This is the 3rd straight year where injuries have essentially derailed a potentially promising season. At the moment at least 6 starters are injured for some time, and there is a high likelihood that someone else gets hurt over the next 13 games.

My questions are: Are the Bills doing enough in offseason workouts to prevent inury? Is this the effect of a poor program in place by the strength and conditioning coach? Could this be an effect of a relatively easy training camp?

Fact of the matter is without your starters being healthy, you're doomed to live and die with less talented players, which ultimately costs you the season.

This is the 3rd straight year where injuries have essentially derailed a potentially promising season. At the moment at least 6 starters are injured for some time, and there is a high likelihood that someone else gets hurt over the next 13 games.

My questions are: Are the Bills doing enough in offseason workouts to prevent inury? Is this the effect of a poor program in place by the strength and conditioning coach? Could this be an effect of a relatively easy training camp?

Fact of the matter is without your starters being healthy, you're doomed to live and die with less talented players, which ultimately costs you the season.

I think one of teh worst moves by Donahoe and Greg Williams was to let Rusty Jones leave. The players under his wing seemed to have far less injuries, plus, he was highly respected throughout the NFL and all major league sports. He's one you keep, not let patronage show him the door.

I think one of teh worst moves by Donahoe and Greg Williams was to let Rusty Jones leave. The players under his wing seemed to have far less injuries, plus, he was highly respected throughout the NFL and all major league sports. He's one you keep, not let patronage show him the door.

i agree. kinda like you don't get rid of bobby april, imo. when jauron is canned imo

How do you think it is possible for the coaching staff to prevent injuries?

i agree. kinda like you don't get rid of bobby april, imo. when jauron is canned imo

For sure, I remember after the Homerun Thowback (thow up, if you will), Bruce DeHaven got canned, and we then had to suffer though Rob Jones (? - I can't remember the name, he was one of Wade's buddies). He was the worst special teams coach ever. We must've set the record for most KO and punt returns for TD's allowed.

How do you think it is possible for the coaching staff to prevent injuries?

it is a delicate balance of getting your players in top condition without burning them out. This helps most the obvious building of muscle, while reducing pulls and tears, and providing more cushioning for the bones. In a softer camp, the players may not be in playing condition ready for rigors of being on the field for 30+ minutes (especially on our D).

it is a delicate balance of getting your players in top condition without burning them out. This helps most the obvious building of muscle, while reducing pulls and tears, and providing more cushioning for the bones. In a softer camp, the players may not be in playing condition ready for rigors of being on the field for 30+ minutes (especially on our D).

No one is suffering from pulls and muscle tears. It's all broken bones and ligament tears: Schouman, Butler, Poz, McKelvin, ans Whitner. There's no way the Bills should be blamed for the injuries. It's an occupational hazard of playing professional football, and it happens to every team.

No one is suffering from pulls and muscle tears. It's all broken bones and ligament tears: Schouman, Butler, Poz, McKelvin, ans Whitner. There's no way the Bills should be blamed for the injuries. It's an occupational hazard of playing professional football, and it happens to every team.

+1

+1

Here in Seattle for the second year in a row the Seahawks are decimated with injuries. Worse than the Bills had last year AND this year. On Sunday against da Bears the Seahawks didn't even suit up 45 guys because they didn't have enough. They have the 53 guys minus 11 out to injury. The Bungles were decimated worse than us with injuries last year. On the game tonight the announcer mentioned that Carolina has a lot of injuries and Dallas RB Marion Barber is out with an injury.

Every team has injuries. I'd have to see a historical rundown over the last 10 years or so to make any conjecture if we have more than the average bear or a way to avoid them in the future.

OK, theoretically, the silver lining to injuries is that you get a chance to develop your depth. Yet, here are the Buffalo Bills -- 3 straight years of ridiculous number of injuries -- where's that depth that has been developed over the past couple of years?

Here in Seattle for the second year in a row the Seahawks are decimated with injuries. Worse than the Bills had last year AND this year. On Sunday against da Bears the Seahawks didn't even suit up 45 guys because they didn't have enough. They have the 53 guys minus 11 out to injury. The Bungles were decimated worse than us with injuries last year. On the game tonight the announcer mentioned that Carolina has a lot of injuries and Dallas RB Marion Barber is out with an injury.

Every team has injuries. I'd have to see a historical rundown over the last 10 years or so to make any conjecture if we have more than the average bear or a way to avoid them in the future.

Speaking of injuries, the Ravens had more guys on IR last year than the Bills did in 07 yet they made the AFC Championship game with a rookie head coach and a rookie QB anyway. After 07, the apologists lined up and give a yeoman golf clap for the tremendous job the coaching staff did to get the Bills to 7-9 after so many injuries. And if not for some of those injuries, players like Edwards, Jackson, and Greer might have never got on the field.

more often than not, ligament tears are a result of overstress to that joint, which again could be because the player isn't in top shape or that the player is burnt out.

yes seattle and cincy and other bad teams seem to succumb to injuries more than others. maybe there is some correlation there. It oculd be having a terrible strength and conditioning coach or it could be have too easy of a training camp. OR it could be bad luck. But 3 seasons in row derailed due to injuries is not right.

It was Meathead Mularky that let Jones go . . .