Mike Williams NCAA ruling is BS!

Pete

I'm kind of split on the decision. On one hand I hate Maurice Clarett and don't want to see him play college or pro ball. On the other hand... I like Mike Williams. He didn't do anything dishonest and had the rules changed on him. But there was no way the NCAA was going to reinstate him.

I'm kind of split on the decision.  On one hand I hate Maurice Clarett and don't want to see him play college or pro ball.  On the other hand... I like Mike Williams.  He didn't do anything dishonest and had the rules changed on him.  But there was no way the NCAA was going to reinstate him.

8605[/snapback]

he got shafted! he'll be ok, he'll get his millions, but I think the decision was unfair.

Actually, he broke the rules and is now dealing with the consequences. He could avoided this situation altogether by declaring himself eligible for the draft but not hiring the agent. Hiring the agent is what got him in trouble. He could have hired someone to negotiate for him after the draft.

I think this is a good thing - so often college and pro-athletes are able to navigate around rules and laws better than the average person without having to deal with the consequences of their actions. Now Williams and Clarett are having to do just that. I think this is a good thing. I feel bad for him because Williams was obviously getting some bad advice from someone, but oh well.

Actually, he broke the rules and is now dealing with the consequences.  He could avoided this situation altogether by declaring himself eligible for the draft but not hiring the agent.  Hiring the agent is what got him in trouble.  He could have hired someone to negotiate for him after the draft. 

I think this is a good thing - so often college and pro-athletes are able to navigate around rules and laws better than the average person without having to deal with the consequences of their actions.  Now Williams and Clarett are having to do just that.  I think this is a good thing.  I feel bad for him because Williams was obviously getting some bad advice from someone, but oh well.

8665[/snapback]

what rule did Mike Williams break? He was not a college student when he hired his agent. And unfrotunatly, athletes need the agent and the money they provide to prepare for the draft for the trainers and dieticians and speed coaches and agility coaches, etc.

But Mike has shown proof that he paid every single dime back and he also made himself academically eligible with summer classes. Whats the difference between this and what Chris Thomas did after his sophomore year? He got flown out to various workouts and camps by the NBA. After he pulled out he paid every dime back and showed the NCAA the reciepts. And guess what, he was declared eligible. The NCAA is really stupid about this

when a JUDGE gives you the OK, to go do something, and then they punish you for doing it is just messed up to me.

i HATE how people say.... "we dont want clarrett in college football, but we DO want Williams. they should let williams in, but to hell with Clarrett...." WTF

they only want williams back cus he is very good, and will help there team ALOT. but since clarrett has been such a pain they want to say to hell with him... they cant do that.

first: they should lower the "years from your highschool graduation" from 3 to 2.

second: they wont make an exception and let him in the nfl, ok, but they have to work with the ncaa to get the player back in college football. the NCAA and the NFL need eachother, and should work together.

third: you cant look at how "good a player is" when determining his elegability. but you shouldnt screw him over eather.

fourth: who is to say one year makes you ready for the NFL? younger guys have come out, but there highschool class graduated early or skiped a grade or something. so to say.. hes to young, or to weak is just stupid...

from what i hear on tv, the ncaa told him, if he gets an agent, and the courts eventually deny him entry in to the nfl, than he could NOT go back to the ncaa. fist off, if the courts tell you one thing, how can an organization punish you for that??

and it sounds like the NCAA was just trying to pressure him in to not joining the court case, cus hes so good. the NCAA knew that they could screw over Clarrett, but if they screwed over Williams it would be a PR nightmare. now since theyve been through all the bad press, there is no way they will let him back

I agree that the situation is BS, but Williams new what might happen. He knew there was a chance that this exact situation would play out but he went ahead and took his chances by hiring an agent and declaring for the draft. I bet he thought he could circumvent the rules somehow since he's still academically eligible. The rules are F'ed but sometimes you have to be smarter and cover your bases.

I don't understand what type of image the NCAA is trying to maintain. A lot of these Division 1 schools are football factories. Kids don't go to Miami for there excellent criminal justice curriculum. It's minor league football and the NCAA profits heavily off of it.