Why ravens suck redux again!

tennesseeboy

The receiver Stuckincincy and I were touting who we could have gotten practically for free....

"Kelley Washington has caught 12 of 13 passes thrown in his direction - with the only exception occurring Sunday when he dropped a pass from Joe Flacco in the end zone in the second quarter. "I was hoping to be perfect, but we've got to make some more plays,"

And...gues who leads all nfl running backs and receivers with six touchdowns? Willis McGahee.

The receiver Stuckincincy and I were touting who we could have gotten practically for free....

"Kelley Washington has caught 12 of 13 passes thrown in his direction - with the only exception occurring Sunday when he dropped a pass from Joe Flacco in the end zone in the second quarter. "I was hoping to be perfect, but we've got to make some more plays,"

And...gues who leads all nfl running backs and receivers with six touchdowns? Willis McGahee.

I never really understood these "why the ravens suck" threads. Who said that the Ravens suck?

The point I'm trying to make is that winning teams (like the ravens) make good personnel decisions. Their first round draft picks actually play football, they draft to fill positions of need, and they make acquisitions based on ability to perform (not ability to perform a few years ago...ability to perform this Sunday). I'm kind of hoping someone in the Bills organization will take notes of what the Ravens have been doing. The argument was Ngata didn't "fit" into our 4-3 defense (the one that seems to be taking us anywhere but the playoffs) and that Oher was only going to be a "right tackle" -despite the fact that he made his rep. as a left tackle in the SEC...and is now being considered for a move to left tackle after a successful debut as right tackle based on the injury to the starting left tackle. I'm looking at players we let go (Jim Leonhard looked good...missed the Philadelphia game so I don't know if Jason Peters was better than the Bills tackle.) and wonder.

Yeah, but why single out the Ravens? I mean, I could start a sarcastic thread about any good team in the league. I'm just curious if there's a back-story that I'm missing.

If you'd like I suppose I could say" THE BILLS SUCK and the RAVENS ARE GOING TO THE PLAYOFFS on our dumb draft trade and acquisition policy." But that would be kind of painful as a lifetime bills fan.

The point I'm trying to make is that winning teams (like the ravens) make good personnel decisions. Their first round draft picks actually play football, they draft to fill positions of need, and they make acquisitions based on ability to perform (not ability to perform a few years ago...ability to perform this Sunday). I'm kind of hoping someone in the Bills organization will take notes of what the Ravens have been doing. The argument was Ngata didn't "fit" into our 4-3 defense (the one that seems to be taking us anywhere but the playoffs) and that Oher was only going to be a "right tackle" -despite the fact that he made his rep. as a left tackle in the SEC...and is now being considered for a move to left tackle after a successful debut as right tackle based on the injury to the starting left tackle. I'm looking at players we let go (Jim Leonhard looked good...missed the Philadelphia game so I don't know if Jason Peters was better than the Bills tackle.) and wonder.

Forget it around here. You make valid points about management and direction they've taken this team. There is no GM, and the owner makes the big decisions. They've made so many personnel mistakes, it shows they're not going full-tilt to find the best talent.

For the record, Ozzie Newsome is pretty good at evaluating talent. By comparison, the Bills have a marketing guy as their supposed GM.

Forget it around here. You make valid points about management and direction they've taken this team. There is no GM, and the owner makes the big decisions. They've made so many personnel mistakes, it shows they're not going full-tilt to find the best talent.

For the record, Ozzie Newsome is pretty good at evaluating talent. By comparison, the Bills have a marketing guy as their supposed GM.

BillsVet, Ozzie Newsome is one of the better talent evaluators in the league. His philosophy is simple when it comes to the draft: take the highest rated player on the team's draft board. All GMs make mistakes in the draft. The Ravens missed with the Kyle Boller pick, but it corrected its mistake with the Flacco pick. When the Bills inexplicably picked Donte Whitner, the Ravens gleefully took Ngata. Ray Lewis has touted Ngata as an all-pro tackle. He should, because Lewis is free to roam to the ball because the dominanting DT keeps the OL off of him.

The structure of the organization is establilshed by the clueless owner. There is a purpose to his weird organizational design: It allows the finance people, Littman and Oberdofer (sic) to be the most influential people in the organization. Decisions are predicated on money rather than on football perspectives. When Levy walked away from his damaging stint as GM the owner elevated the marketing speciialist to take over the football operations. I'm well aware that the cap and economics are factors in making personnel decisions but the balance is out of wack. The outcome is very predictable.

The Bills will be out of the playoffs for a decade, including this season. Over the past decade the Bills' record ranks 29 out of 32. The team's record coming into the season is 60-84. The winning percentage is .417. According to Jerry Sullivanf the Buffalo News Dick Jauron's record against teams with a .500 record is 2-21. Until there is new ownership and a different mentality coming out of the organization our team will flounder.

Success in any organization starts at the top. The Bills are working with a major deficit with Ralph Wilson as its owner. :wallbash:

I agree that Newsome is the best in the business but please list the mistakes Brandon has made so far.

The structure of the organization is establilshed by the clueless owner. There is a purpose to his weird organizational design: It allows the finance people, Littman and Oberdofer (sic) to be the most influential people in the organization. Decisions are predicated on money rather than on football perspectives. When Levy walked away from his damaging stint as GM the owner elevated the marketing speciialist to take over the football operations. I'm well aware that the cap and economics are factors in making personnel decisions but the balance is out of wack. The outcome is very predictable.

The team is built to make money, especially when the owner won't fire a HC with that terrible record against winning teams for fear of paying him not to work. RW is making the decisions, and if that's not sobering, we're in a division with Parcells, Belichick, and the big money Jets.

The only way to win in Buffalo is if the team invested in talent evaluators and a real GM who knew his business. Unfortunately, RW is under no pressure to field stellar management. He's also afraid of another Donahoe who had so much control it scared RW into never letting that happen again.

Ralph is 91 in about three weeks and he's not making long term plans for anything. He wants to go out his way, and if that means the team is profitable and bad on the field, so be it.

His biggest mistake was not pretending to lose Dick's 3-year extension....

Supposedly, that decision came from the top. If the Bills fail this season, I think Brandon is the best chance we have to hire a big name coach. I think he has done a good job and wants to win. Just because he is a "marketing guy" doesn't mean crap. He was a 2 sport college athlete and wants to win. Other successful GMs haven't graduated from GM college either.

Supposedly, that decision came from the top.

Which goes back to BillsVet's points about the dysfunctionality of the front office. Deep in my heart, I know that Brandon was pleading with Ralph and the Circle Jerks to can Jauron. Aside from the football perspective, the MARKETING perspective would be that Dick would be an incredibly hard sell to fans tired of mediocrity.

Ralph chose continuity and let Brandon sign TO as a way to help sell tickets.

That's just my opinion though...

And you're right. Scott Pioli started in the Pats system as a mail clerk I believe.

I agree that Newsome is the best in the business but please list the mistakes Brandon has made so far.

Brandon is not making decisions, RW is. He doesn't have any experience as a scout of personnel director like every other NFL GM has. Brandon could not fire DJ, or he would have. No one seems to understand that Brandon isn't qualified even if he had the power to do anything.

The failure is RW's for elevating a non-football man into the most critical football position in the front office. And RW has assumed the role himself, despite the fact he is nearly 91. Brandon just seems like a face they trot out their during the off-season moves this team makes which don't translate to winning on Sundays.

Brandon is not making decisions, RW is. He doesn't have any experience as a scout of personnel director like every other NFL GM has. Brandon could not fire DJ, or he would have. No one seems to understand that Brandon isn't qualified even if he had the power to do anything.

The failure is RW's for elevating a non-football man into the most critical football position in the front office. And RW has assumed the role himself, despite the fact he is nearly 91. Brandon just seems like a face they trot out their during the off-season moves this team makes which don't translate to winning on Sundays.

Most owners have to be on board with the firing and hiring of head coach. You still failed to name any mistakes by Brandon since he became GM in terms of player personnel.

Don't forget Justin Bannan, who's been a sold DT for the Ravens!

Most owners have to be on board with the firing and hiring of head coach. You still failed to name any mistakes by Brandon since he became GM in terms of player personnel.

How about failing to get a LT in the off season?

Did levy or him screw up the Dockery trade?

I don't care who is to blame, but the state of the OL going into this season was a major mistake. Having 3 guys that had never taken a snap, 1 of whom had missed most of the pre-season with injuries, the other T having missed time with injuries, and cast-offs as your depth is a bad plan.

They did get rid of their 3 most expensive lineman though. Wahoo! Hooray!

I don't care who is to blame, but the state of the OL going into this season was a major mistake. Having 3 guys that had never taken a snap, 1 of whom had missed most of the pre-season with injuries, the other T having missed time with injuries, and cast-offs as your depth is a bad plan.

They did get rid of their 3 most expensive lineman though. Wahoo! Hooray!

Is this good enough for you CB 97? Walker being the answer at LT, only to be replaced by a super rookie in Bell and two other rookies starting Having absolutely no depth at LB, and being forced to start Ellison? For the record, the backups at LB are: Corto (ST'er), Buggs (UDFA 225#er) N. Harris (converted SS) and Ashlee Palmer (weighs about the same as Buggs).

Skill players are nice at WR, RB, and CB. But both lines have some issues, and they're showing 3 weeks into another season. Don't give me the younger excuse, the team's been rebuilding since DJ and company took over in 2006.

If Brandon's making personnel decisions, these are the examples.