Which post-Kelly starting QB would you rather have?

DFITZ1

Which post-Kelly starting QB would you rather have?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Post Kelly QB's

• T. Collins
    • Rob Johnson
    • Doug Flutie
    • Drew Bledsoe
    • JP Losman
    • Stay with Trent Edwards
    • Brian Moorman (2 passes, 2 TD's ain't bad)

Is Trent Edwards being run out of town just because he's not Jim Kelly. Since JK retired, the Bills fans (including myself)have anointed and dethroned a whole host of QB's. Some weren't good, some were at teh end of their careers, some showed a few great attributes but not enough to make it. While TE may STILL not be the long term answer (hey, Eli Manning looked miserable for 2-3 years and now owns a ring, thanks in part to a OC who the Bills ran out of town), is he really that bad? Here's my take at the list.

1. T Collins - great arm, no feel for the game. Good back-up only (regenerated playing career at WAS, but not a starter).

2. Rob Johnson - Great arm, good speed, slow feel for the game, held onto the ball too long, body constructed of cheap porcelain.

3. Doug Flutie - best since Kelly IMO. Consummate winning attitude, even if abrasive. Great feel for teh game, quick and could improvise. Good arm, but not accurate long. Overcame short height, but strong defenses could counter. Last QB to lead Bills to playoffs.

4. Drew Bledsoe - great arm, good feel for the game, feet made of heavy stone. Needed max protection to excell. Best since Flutie, but at end of his career.

5. JP Losman - see Rob Johnson. Held onto the ball too long, did not check down enough. Poor feel for the game.

6. Trent - good arm, good feel for the game, check's down too much, but doesn't get sacked like JP did. Knows how to audiblize.

7 Moorman - A punter!? why not!? Only 2 passes (that I know of) and both for TD's

My opinion, best is Flutie, followed by Bledsoe, then TE. However, TE may have more potential, but needs to show soon.

Well, I think Trent no doubt has the rest of the year to prove he is worthy. Not looking great so far, but there is still time for him. I'm not a big fan of running anyone out of town without giving them a fair shot first.

Now Jauron on the other hand...

:thumbsup:

No kidding. :thumbsup:

Edwards has the rest of this season to pull his head out of his ass or he's done here. Unfortunately, it looks like the BILLS have ruined another QB by running him out there behind a woeful offensive line for multiple seasons.

My kingdom for a tackle. Or two. Or three.

If it is possible to correct polls retroactively then add AVP to this list of QBs as he started multiple games post Kelly . IMHO he fits on this list above the ill-fated attempts of Todd Collins but below the seemed to be a possible long-term starter at one point in his career but never developed beyond that point). AVP never gave the impression that he was anything more than a good back-up.

If it is possible to correct polls retroactively then add AVP to this list of QBs as he started multiple games post Kelly . IMHO he fits on this list above the ill-fated attempts of Todd Collins but below the seemed to be a possible long-term starter at one point in his career but never developed beyond that point). AVP never gave the impression that he was anything more than a good back-up.
I would take AVP over RJ, JP, and Brain Dead Drew... maybe Moorman too, though at least I think he would be fun to watch play.

No kidding. :thumbsup:

Edwards has the rest of this season to pull his head out of his ass or he's done here. Unfortunately, it looks like the BILLS have ruined another QB by running him out there behind a woeful offensive line for multiple seasons.

My kingdom for a tackle. Or two. Or three.

This sounds like double talk. First you say TE has to pull his head out of his rear, then in teh next sentence you say the team ruined him. Which one is it? Is Trent the sole cause of the QB problems, or did the o-line cause the QB problems and TE just happens to be the unlucky guy holding the ball at the moment ?

I think AVP could have been like Pennington.

Is Trent Edwards being run out of town just because he's not Jim Kelly.

Look to the current bench occupant. He's no Kelly either, but he does have moxie and will take the "no b*lls, no glory" chances...

I saw the 1st two games - no games last season. Bills' OL coach ought to hold a class about not tipping off...feet, knuckle tightening, this or that slight shoulder dip, a wide-out lean, and so on. I saw this on a 20" CRT tv, no HD resolution.

This sounds like double talk. First you say TE has to pull his head out of his rear, then in teh next sentence you say the team ruined him. Which one is it? Is Trent the sole cause of the QB problems, or did the o-line cause the QB problems and TE just happens to be the unlucky guy holding the ball at the moment ?

Ever think that maybe his head wouldn't be stuck so far up his ass if the team hadn't ruined him?

A good point, he would be a worthy write-in. However, I don't think he was never projected a "franchise starting QB" as in expected to start multiple seasons. The ones I picked were ones the "grey matter" trust anointed the teams future starting QB at some point.

He was certainly better than Todd Collins, and better than other QB busts of the past like Vince Ferrogammo or Joe Dufek, for example.

Ever think that maybe his head wouldn't be stuck so far up his ass if the team hadn't ruined him?

Then doesn't the team (especially Jauron) owe it to him to help pull his head out since because of them it was so rudely inserted. Unfortunately, I think he and AVP are still stuck with a lot of Turk and DJ's checkdown schemes and its going to take the bye week to start undoing that. Canning Turk so close to the openning game is too late to re-install a new offense. AVP is probably using Turk's offense, but calling the plays better.

Another clue - notice that TO is blaming the play calls, not the QB, as he used to. TE may well be doing what his head coach wants.

Then doesn't the team (especially Jauron) owe it to him to help pull his head out since because of them it was so rudely inserted. Unfortunately, I think he and AVP are still stuck with a lot of Turk and DJ's checkdown schemes and its going to take the bye week to start undoing that. Canning Turk so close to the openning game is too late to re-install a new offense. AVP is probably using Turk's offense, but calling the plays better.

Another clue - notice that TO is blaming the play calls, not the QB, as he used to. TE may well be doing what his head coach wants.

THIS team, manage a QB properly? :thumbsup: Notice yet how Edwards is starting to look like Losman? How many QBs do we have to see make the SAME damn mistakes over and over before we stop trusting the coaches with them?

To my inexpert eye, it certainly looks like much the same plays, but called better.

TO needs to sit down with Edwards and van Pelt, and say "Alex, call some quick slants and curls. Trent...stop worrying and just throw me the damn ball. Let me worry about catching it." Not that TO's done that great a job of catching what's thrown to him...but maybe it would provide Trent a much-needed boost of confidence, hearing that from a veteran receiver.

:thumbsup:

Hey, the guy played more than a decade in the league and brought NE back to respectability after Steve Grogan retired. After Flutie, he was the only Bills QB that generated a legitimate playoff shot (succumbing in the last game against Pittsburg under Mularkey), and generally ran the offense well, and could audibilize (something TE CAN do). Brought back the Cowboys after leaving the Bills. Unfortunately, his stone feet made him a target for bull rushes.

Unfortunately, it looks like the BILLS have ruined another QB by running him out there behind a woeful offensive line for multiple seasons.

This is total BS. While the Bills offensive line has not been great, it has been servicable. First 6 games of the year last year and against Yucks they have been OK and Trent's looked stellar. Then he has his bad games. Line is good in the good games and bad in the bad games? Maybe he's just not very good? Why blame it all on the line?

How in the heck is he able to complete 60% of his passes if he doesn't have time to throw?

Is Trent Edwards being run out of town just because he's not Jim Kelly. Since JK retired, the Bills fans (including myself)have anointed and dethroned a whole host of QB's. Some weren't good, some were at teh end of their careers, some showed a few great attributes but not enough to make it. While TE may STILL not be the long term answer (hey, Eli Manning looked miserable for 2-3 years and now owns a ring, thanks in part to a OC who the Bills ran out of town), is he really that bad? Here's my take at the list.

1. T Collins - great arm, no feel for the game. Good back-up only (regenerated playing career at WAS, but not a starter).

2. Rob Johnson - Great arm, good speed, slow feel for the game, held onto the ball too long, body constructed of cheap porcelain.

3. Doug Flutie - best since Kelly IMO. Consummate winning attitude, even if abrasive. Great feel for teh game, quick and could improvise. Good arm, but not accurate long. Overcame short height, but strong defenses could counter. Last QB to lead Bills to playoffs.

4. Drew Bledsoe - great arm, good feel for the game, feet made of heavy stone. Needed max protection to excell. Best since Flutie, but at end of his career.

5. JP Losman - see Rob Johnson. Held onto the ball too long, did not check down enough. Poor feel for the game.

6. Trent - good arm, good feel for the game, check's down too much, but doesn't get sacked like JP did. Knows how to audiblize.

7 Moorman - A punter!? why not!? Only 2 passes (that I know of) and both for TD's

My opinion, best is Flutie, followed by Bledsoe, then TE. However, TE may have more potential, but needs to show soon.

Hmmmm...

I would pick: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?showtopic=80877

This is total BS. While the Bills offensive line has not been great, it has been servicable.

No, it really hasn't.

First 6 games of the year last year and against Yucks they have been OK and Trent's looked stellar. Then he has his bad games. Line is good in the good games and bad in the bad games? Maybe he's just not very good? Why blame it all on the line?

You and I have a different definition of stellar. And saying the OLine sucks isn't a pass for Edwards in any way but when you take a guy who got battered in college and put him in a situation to be battered some more, it's not exactly the recipe for good long term development. Ask David Carr.

How in the heck is he able to complete 60% of his passes if he doesn't have time to throw?

It's pretty easy when you don't ever throw the ball down the field and take sacks rather than air it out to the outside when the defense is giving you that look.

Hey, the guy played more than a decade in the league and brought NE back to respectability after Steve Grogan retired. After Flutie, he was the only Bills QB that generated a legitimate playoff shot (succumbing in the last game against Pittsburg under Mularkey), and generally ran the offense well, and could audibilize (something TE CAN do). Brought back the Cowboys after leaving the Bills. Unfortunately, his stone feet made him a target for bull rushes.

Holy revisionist history, Batman.