4th-and-1 Revisited (Saints Game)

MRM33064

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we will have to, as neither will convince the other. Which is fine.

I will agree that Jauron has a better staff of assistants this year than in the past, but I am not certain how much of that falls into the "blind squirrel / nut" category.

When it comes time for a critical non-delegatable decision to be made, I haven't seen any improvements in what DJ is doing this year relative to years past. I think he comes up will reasonable game plans / strategies heading into games. I haven't seen any ability on his part to make changes to his philosophy / strategy on the fly, presumably due to his overly conservative nature which is exhibited in almost every major decision he has to make.

I totally agree with you on most of your points. He does come up with good game plans for the most part but he's definitely not able to make changes on the fly. He's too conservative. He's not able to adapt within the game. Well at least not able to adapt fast enough to the changing in game situations.

Both ways have their pluses and minuses but calling for Jauron's head for that reason when there's so many others to choose from strikes me as unnecessary.

I am a pretty level-headed observer. I avoid emotional, knee-jerk reactions. But I think that this decision was perhaps the worst of many horrible game-managing decisions that Jauron has made since he's been here.

Simon, if you're not willing to fire him for this play alone, would you at least consider firing him because this should be the last straw?

Just out of curiosity - did anyone spot Trent (or anyone else on the offense) arguing/fighting with the coaching staff to go for it there?

Yes, as the punting unit was getting set up on the field there was a sideline shot of Terrell Owens questioning Jauron about the decision. Jauron sayed something and T.O. simply turned and walked away.

I am a pretty level-headed observer. I avoid emotional, knee-jerk reactions. But I think that this decision was perhaps the worst of many horrible game-managing decisions that Jauron has made since he's been here.

Simon, if you're not willing to fire him for this play alone, would you at least consider firing him because this should be the last straw?

Ignoring the fact I'd have never hired him in a million years, I'd have chosen not to retain him last year after he lost 8 of 10 down the stretch. Or fired him the year before when he lost to Dallas to move to 1-4 going in to the bye week. Or fired him the year before that because I can't stand the passive manner in which he stands around watching a game unfold. <_<

Ignoring the fact I'd have never hired him in a million years, I'd have chosen not to retain him last year after he lost 8 of 10 down the stretch. Or fired him the year before when he lost to Dallas to move to 1-4 going in to the bye week. Or fired him the year before that because I can't stand the passive manner in which he stands around watching a game unfold. <_<

Agreed.

I'll add that last year's "did they or didn't they" secretive contract extension for Jauron was just another sign of this organization's ineptitude.

Why didn't Jauron at least ask for a measurement. Why didn't he challenge? When they showed the last replay of Reed hitting the ground after he got flipped, his helmet landed on the yellow (unofficial) line. Why not ask for a measurement, then challenge if you have to.

Jauron is an educated RETARD.

So I gather I think you think it was a pretty dumbass decision, right? This team is goddamn frustrating.

Why didn't Jauron at least ask for a measurement. Why didn't he challenge? When they showed the last replay of Reed hitting the ground after he got flipped, his helmet landed on the yellow (unofficial) line. Why not ask for a measurement, then challenge if you have to.

Jauron is an educated RETARD.

I agree and was going to post the same question. At least get a measurement.

We should get one of those "life-size cut outs of Jauron" and place it on the sideline. It will show as much emotion as Jauron Does he ever say anything to any of the players on the sidelines? <_<

So I gather I think you think it was a pretty dumbass decision, right?

Not necessarily.

I think you could make valid arguments for either a punt or a conversion attempt.

With the way the OLine was stinking things up out there and as well as the defense had been playing all day, I'd have probably leaned toward letting my all-pro punter flip the field and then trying to force another 3/out, which they nearly did.

Sometimes I think DJ is coaching for his next job, DC for a respected team, maybe NE*. He wants to be able to show his defense played well, esp. the secondary, and that he was a level headed coach who didn't make extreme decisions, probably what you want out of a good DC. He doesn't want to get a rep. saying that his last year he became desperate and started taking risky chances because then his next potential employer would think the strain of being a HC made him start to make unsound decisions. That wouldn't look good for him. For a DC position no one will care if he was over careful on offense here.

Its either all that or he just does really not have a feel for a game and know when you have to take a small risk. Small, because 90% chance you get a half yard on a QB sneak. Also small, because if you don't make it still a great chance to hold NO to a field goal and keep a lot of time on the clock for the needed two scores by the Bills.

I was upset all game that we didn't go for it on 4th and 4 on their 40 yard line when it was tied 7-7. We punt. It goes into the end zone. Net yards = 20. Once again we don't play to win.

The 4th and one at the end of the game was cowardly, inexcusable and it proves that Dick should be gone. He plays not to lose. If you want more in depth explanation just read TMQB in a couple days.

One vote for Bobby April. Let him start tomorrow.

I was upset all game that we didn't go for it on 4th and 4 on their 40 yard line when it was tied 7-7. We punt. It goes into the end zone. Net yards = 20. Once again we don't play to win.

The 4th and one at the end of the game was cowardly, inexcusable and it proves that Dick should be gone. He plays not to lose. If you want more in depth explanation just read TMQB in a couple days.

good point - the 4th&4 on the 40 was yet another epic fail.

When Dick is axed, that play will serve as his obituary.What he is saying by punting is that he had no faith in the offense to get one yard, let alone one score, forget two, win the game? Nah. He gave up. He quit on the team and they in turn quit on him.

It's obvious he is a gutless coward. How many times have the Bills blown a close game since he has been here? How many stupid plays, bad play calls, dumb penalties and inopportune turnovers do the Bills make week after week, year after year? The Bills were in this game for 3 quarters +. They just have no clue how to deal with any measurable amount of success from game to game and always lose or just give up.

I'm sick of it, you know the Dolphins will get well next week because of what I said above. Cleveland will probably get well against us after that. It will be more of the same until Dick goes home.