If were deep at corner why are we giving up so many yrds?

seq004

We have given up over 660 yards passing thus far. That's second worse in the league. This was a position were supposed to be deep at. Our pass rush looks a little better than last year so I'm not sure why the Bills are struggling in this area and with the Saints passing attack it's a concern. It just seems like our corners give up to many yards to the recievers coming off the LOS.

you have to figure that teams have been playing from behind through out both of the games, so that is definitely a factor. How many pass attempts have been thrown against us in both of the games? Pretty close to 105 or so, and if you figure 660 yards passing, that comes out to less than 6.5 yards per pass, which really isn't bad at all.

This stat is so over used right now. We have limited teams in the run and have had a lead for most of 2 games. Of course teams are going to be passing. I don't care if we give up 400 yards a game if we still win. I don't blame it on the corners I blame it on playing with a lead.

This stat is so over used right now. We have limited teams in the run and have had a lead for most of 2 games. Of course teams are going to be passing. I don't care if we give up 400 yards a game if we still win. I don't blame it on the corners I blame it on playing with a lead.

I agree and it has something to do with time of possession, teams haven't been able to run against us so they are forced/choose to pass, and we let Brady throw underneath the whole 4th quarter in week one.

Because our defensive scheme sucks. I don't recall the Patriots being next to last in the league in pass defense the year they were putting 40+ points up on opposing teams every game... In fact, they were ranked 6th in the league, had about 3 sacks per game, and gave up 193.4 yds/game through the air. Fewell blows!!

But I will say this... We are the only team in the league to have had over 100 attempts against us (103). The next closest is New Orleans with 89. You would think that we would be able to pin our ears back and get more sacks though...

Perhaps, and this is just my opinion, it's a combination of several things:

1) As mentioned, Buffalo has lead for significant portions of both games, and teams have needed to throw to get back in the game

2) Buffalo is giving up a paltry 3.1 yards per carry on the ground, and has surrendered only 130 yards rushing total for two games. Both are good for 7th in the NFL. When you're tough to run against, teams will naturally throw the ball more, and thus put up far more passing yards than rushing yards.

3) Pretty much a continuation of #2 above, but Buffalo leads the NFL in passing attempts against per game with 51.5, which is 7 att/game higher than the #2 team in this category (coincidentally, that's New Orleans, Buffalo's week 3 opponent). By contrast, the Tennesse Titans, who have the #1 rushing defense in the NFL through 2 weeks, have faced an average of 40.5 passing att/game, and are giving up more yds/game through the air than Buffalo (339 to 332).

Overall, I'd say this isn't anything to be concerned about.

Just my 1 cent.

more likely is that teams have been forced to pass due to circumstance - which is why the rush numbers are low

contrary to popular opinion, Bills have been gouged when teams wanted to run early

its simple, buffalo has give up a lot of pass yards becasue we have been leading or tied for 118 out of 120 minutes of playing time this year, other teams are throwing from behind.

both opposing QBs had over 50 pass attempts.

I think we have had 104 pass attempts against which is by far the most against any team in the league in this young season. with that many pass attempts against, its only logical we would have given up a lot of yardage, its a direct relationship, dont panic over it.

We have given up over 660 yards passing thus far. That's second worse in the league. This was a position were supposed to be deep at. Our pass rush looks a little better than last year so I'm not sure why the Bills are struggling in this area and with the Saints passing attack it's a concern. It just seems like our corners give up to many yards to the recievers coming off the LOS.

its simple... the Bills haven't used any press coverage, and have given up everything underneath. Its DJ's defense of choice, play smart football and don't give up any big plays.

You have to think they will disrupt the WR routes somehow vs the saints, because Drew Brees isn't likely to be fooled by a 4 man rush (whether its disguised or not). We should be fine, I think it may look bad, but we'll come out with a win. All we have to do is play sound football, and don't make any mistakes. The saints have crushed opponents because they have given them short fields.

Pretty simply, the Bills 4-man rush isn't very good, especially at the DE spots. Schoebel had one nice play rushing the passer against NE, but nothing else since then. None of the others have applied much pressure at all. It's all come from the DTs and blitzes. If you're DEs can't apply consistent pressure, you're going to give up a lot of passing yards no matter how good the DBs are.

As most have noted, in the two games so far, the D stuffed the run, so the opposition went almost exclusively with the pass.

But to answer your main question, a good deal of the passing yardage gained against the Bills hasn't come against the CBs. Most has been underneath stuff, taking advantage of the LBs and the short zone the Bills often give.

It should be an area of concern, but it isn't time to panic. The Bills passing D is far better than the ranking, so far.

I am not sure if it is scheme, players, or lack of a pass rush, probably all of the above.

We are easier to move the ball on when teams are passing.

The stats this year may be a bit skewed due to the fact that NE has no rushing game to speak of and probably would have relied on their passing game even if they had the lead in that game.

We do give up a lot of underneath plays, but that is the Tampa 2 for you - when run in it's purest form it will allow a team to patiently work the short middle of the field. I don't feel like it is a very aggressive defense - perhaps it could be if we had a stellar pass rush, but as of now our defense is more designed to force the opposing team to slowly work the field until they make a mistake.

That defense works right up to the point we play against a veteran QB who knows how to work all the soft spots ala Kurt Warner last year. That was death by a thousand cuts and made our abysmal pass rush painfully obvious.

IMHO

Guest dog14787
As most have noted, in the two games so far, the D stuffed the run, so the opposition went almost exclusively with the pass.

But to answer your main question, a good deal of the passing yardage gained against the Bills hasn't come against the CBs. Most has been underneath stuff, taking advantage of the LBs and the short zone the Bills often give.

It should be an area of concern, but it isn't time to panic. The Bills passing D is far better than the ranking, so far.

Something that goes unnoticed about the Saints is they are averaging over 4.5 yards a carry rushing and if my memory serves me correctly they have rushed the ball 60 times.

Stop the run and we at least slow down the Saints.

Because our defensive scheme sucks. I don't recall the Patriots being next to last in the league in pass defense the year they were putting 40+ points up on opposing teams every game... In fact, they were ranked 6th in the league, had about 3 sacks per game, and gave up 193.4 yds/game through the air. Fewell blows!!

He's being paid to talk about football and you aren't. So I guess you blow more.