A Playoff Run

KurtGodel77

The Bills can make the playoffs, but it would really help if they won today at NE. In addition, one of the teams that currently has a winning record has to suffer a collapse.

An excellent candidate for playoff removal is the New York Jets. With today's loss to Baltimore, the Jets have three losses, only two fewer than us. Another loss is on their schedule with that impending New England game. With Pennington out, it's reasonable to believe the Jets will have a few more losses.

Assuming the Bills win against New England (hey, I'm being optimistic), assuming the Jets lose to New England, and assuming both teams win any remaining games against Miami, the Bills' division record would be 4-2 as compared to the Jets' divisional record of 3-3. I believe that divisional record is more important than conference record in determining tiebreakers, so the Bills would have the edge.

Now let's hope for a win today at New England!!

Actually, once I found out Pennington was hurt, I pretty much counted them out. There schedule is much harder in the second half of the season, and without Pennington they just don't have what it takes to keep winning.

The possible scenerio to slip into the playoffs is for either Denver or SD to have that collapse. If they keep playing like they have been, one of them will tie up a wild card, and that will have the Bills competeing with half the AFC for one spot.

I'll save the rest of my playoff predictions for after tonights game.

We are 3-5. We have 4 VERY winnable games (SF, Cle, Cin and Mia). Assuming we win all 4 of those games we need 2 more wins to have a chance at the wildcard at 9-7.

The remaining 4 games are New England, St. Louis, Pittsburgh and Seattle. Not a cakewalk by any means.

With a win tonight, 9-7 is NOT a stretch. We would have then won 4 of our last 5 games, with momentum on our side heading into two tough games against st.louis and seattle. But we really need to win tonight, because taking 2 of 3 from St. Louis/Pittsbutgh and Seattle is a tough road to hoe. Though, with the way pittsburgh is playing, we may get lucky playing them in the last week of the season, as they might have home field advantage (another reason we need to win tonight, to help pittsburgh rest their starters in week 17).

But like i said...ALL this goes out the window if we lose tonight. BRING IT BOYS!

Ok folks back away from the crack pipe. It will take 10-6 minimum AND Tiebreakers for Buffalo to make the playoffs. Baltimore winning today hurt us. Jacksonville winning today REALLY hurt us.

1) What makes you think we can go 7-1? Nothing in the last 5 years has shown me we can go 7-1.

2) We are very quickly running out of help in the form of tiebreakers. The Ravens and Jags further made it tough on us today.

with the Jets, Ravens, Broncos, Chargers, Indy and Jags....

we NEED to be 11-5 to have a chance for the playoffs. The good thing is we can do it. Lets take it one game at a time though, starting today against NE.

Well, the jets without pennington are not a playoff team. I see them falling a bit. Jacksonville is also overrated (though even I predicted playoffs for them), They are 6-3, but they are barely winning most of thier games, and the I suspect the luck will run out eventually. Their PF/PA is 151-163!! Not usually indicitive of a 6-3 record.

Either the broncos or the chargers will win the west, leaving the other to fight for a WC.

As I see it.

EAST: New England

NORTH: Pittsburgh

SOUTH: Indianapolis

WEST: Denver

Wildcard: Jets/Jags/Chargers/Ravens

I made my case against NYJ and Jax above, now lets look at SD's schedule

Kansas city Twice. Indianapolis and Denver. Ouch.

And the ravens? Dallas, New England, Giants, Indy and Pittsburgh.

Point is, it wont be an easy road for ANY wildcard team. I think 9-7 gets you in.

Right now, pittsburgh is our friend. If they keep rolling and win out (except for week 17 when they rest their starters....hopefully), they will have beaten Baltimore, Jets, and Jacksonville, and greatly help our cause, especially if we can beat them.

This will be my last post on the playoff issue until after the game tonight, because it is EXTREMELY Premature until we beat NE.

Uhm,

with the Jets, Ravens, Broncos, Chargers, Indy and Jags....

we NEED to be 11-5 to have a chance for the playoffs. The good thing is we can do it. Lets take it one game at a time though, starting today against NE.

116385[/snapback]

I disagree. I think 9-7 will take one of the wildcard spots. The other wildcard will be 10-6. Take a look at the standings, everryone is bunched up and there are only 2 dominant teams in the AFC. Tiebreakers will be the ultimate decider. The bills need to get their afc record up starting tonite.

I'm as excited as anybody that the Bills have turned this dung-heap of a season around and have looked respectable lately, but let's be somewhat realistic. 9-7 isn't getting it done. We have 5 conference losses, we're not winning any tiebreakers with a 9-7 record. We've also lost to two of the possible wild card teams, the Ravens and the Jags. 10-6 is the only shot we have at the playoffs...and we're not going 7-1 to finish the season. I can see us going 5-3, and if we somehow manage to win tonight even 6-2, but neither of those records will get it done.

I disagree. I think 9-7 will take one of the wildcard spots. The other wildcard will be 10-6. Take a look at the standings, everryone is bunched up and there are only 2 dominant teams in the AFC. Tiebreakers will be the ultimate decider. The bills need to get their afc record up starting tonite.

116464[/snapback]

What are you talking about?

Assume for a moment that the Pats, Steelers, Colts and Broncos all win their divisions. That leaves the following teams fighting for 2 spots; NY Jets (6-3) Baltimore (6-3) Jacksonville (6-3) San Diego (6-3) Houston (4-5) Cincinnati (4-5) and then ASSUMING Buffalo wins tonight, they'd be 4-5. Thats a lot to ask to climb at least 4 teams.

Assume for a moment that the Pats, Steelers, Colts and Broncos all win their divisions.   That leaves the following teams fighting for 2 spots;   NY Jets (6-3) Baltimore (6-3) Jacksonville (6-3) San Diego (6-3)   Houston (4-5)  Cincinnati (4-5) and then ASSUMING Buffalo wins tonight, they'd be 4-5.    Thats a lot to ask to climb at least 4 teams.

116474[/snapback]

And the biggest problem is that of the wildcard teams you've listed above, 2 of the 4 teams with the best records have the tiebreaker over the Bills.

Assume for a moment that the Pats, Steelers, Colts and Broncos all win their divisions.   That leaves the following teams fighting for 2 spots;   NY Jets (6-3) Baltimore (6-3) Jacksonville (6-3) San Diego (6-3)   Houston (4-5)  Cincinnati (4-5) and then ASSUMING Buffalo wins tonight, they'd be 4-5.    Thats a lot to ask to climb at least 4 teams.

116474[/snapback]

Yep, it's almost impossible. But not totally impossible.

I just wish everyone would stop saying "this team HAD to lose today for us to have a chance."

The only team that HAS to do anything today is the Bills. They HAVE to win. There are 7 games left after this week. Anything can happen.

Why did the Ravens HAVE to lose today? They could lose their next 6 games. Same with Jax. Who the hell knows.

Of course it's possible.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE

Isn't that what they teach in grammar school?

But if you want to talk reality...

We're screwed. We were screwed when this year's squad didn't show up at the start of the season.

It's very nice that they're playing their straps off now, but they've got alot of ground to make up. Too much ground. (That's Tee double oh for the gramatically challenged.)

To ICE's point - if the hare spots the friggin turtle (I can't spell tortiouse) five laps around the track, and it's only capable of recovering four of them - it's billsfanone itself to failure.

Of course it's possible.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE

Isn't that what they teach in grammar school?

But if you want to talk reality...

We're screwed. We were screwed when this year's squad didn't show up at the start of the season.

It's very nice that they're playing their straps off now, but they've got alot of ground to make up. Too much ground. (That's Tee double oh for the gramatically challenged.)

To ICE's point - if the hare spots the friggin turtle (I can't spell tortiouse) five laps around the track, and it's only capable of recovering four of them - it's billsfanone itself to failure.

116501[/snapback]

Yeah, but what if the turtle tips over half way around the final lap?

Back in the early '90s, the Houston Oilers started with a 1-4 record, but won 11 straight to go 12-4 and make the playoffs. Joe Montana and the Kansas City Chiefs knocked them out in the divisional round, before losing 30-13 to the Bills in the AFC Championship Game. The point--other than that it's time for the Bills to win another AFC Championship Game--is that 11 straight is possible when you're playing well. If the Bills keep playing the way they did against the Jets last week, they could win the rest of their games.

Assume for a moment that the Pats, Steelers, Colts and Broncos all win their divisions.  That leaves the following teams fighting for 2 spots;  NY Jets (6-3) Baltimore (6-3) Jacksonville (6-3) San Diego (6-3)  Houston (4-5)  Cincinnati (4-5) and then ASSUMING Buffalo wins tonight, they'd be 4-5.    Thats a lot to ask to climb at least 4 teams.

116474[/snapback]

IF, and I mean IF, the Bills win tonight, they will be 2 games behind a wild card spot, with 7 games to go. Looking at the remaining schedule, Bills should have an easier road than the guys they're trying to catch, and they're playing with new found confidence.

The key obviously is to win on the road. That's why tonight's game is so important. If Bills beat NE, it will throw the monkey off the road monster, because Bledsoe would do it in NE of all places.

If they lose, the Bills can still have a decent 7-9 season. If they win, playoffs are a definite possibility, not a longshot.

You guys are high.

Those losses to the Jags and Ravens were devastating and mean we practically have to run the table to get in. With at least 4 games left vs playoff caliber teams, we are not getting in.

I'll just be happy if we can go .500 with this rookie staff.

Cya