PFW audibles - Bills v. Pats

dave mcbride

I've long thought that this is the only valuable thing at PFW since Joel Buchsbaum's death. I know some don't like it because it's anonymous, but that's the only way you get people to really open up. Check this one out:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/09/2...-defensive-ends

• "How do you get beat on the same play in the same coverage to lose a game like Buffalo did against (Tom) Brady. It's Football 101 — don't let great quarterbacks go down the middle. That's on (Bills defensive coordinator) Perry Fewell. They call the defense 'Tampa 2', but what does the middle linebacker do in the cover-2 Tampa Bay used to run? The middle 'backer turns his back and runs 17-22 yards to his landmark and turns around. That is coaching. On those two TD passes, the (linebacker) is not looking at the quarterback. The premise in zone coverage is to see the ball. When do you play zone defense and never look at the quarterback?"

I've long thought that this is the only valuable thing at PFW since Joel Buchsbaum's death. I know some don't like it because it's anonymous, but that's the only way you get people to really open up. Check this one out:

• "How do you get beat on the same play in the same coverage to lose a game like Buffalo did against (Tom) Brady. It's Football 101 — don't let great quarterbacks go down the middle. That's on (Bills defensive coordinator) Perry Fewell. They call the defense 'Tampa 2', but what does the middle linebacker do in the cover-2 Tampa Bay used to run? The middle 'backer turns his back and runs 17-22 yards to his landmark and turns around. That is coaching. On those two TD passes, the (linebacker) is not looking at the quarterback. The premise in zone coverage is to see the ball. When do you play zone defense and never look at the quarterback?"

You could argue that if POZ doesn't get hurt in that game, those completions for TDs never happen. As a result of the POZ injury, Ellison was manning the MLB position on those plays the Paytoilets scored in the 4th.

there's a point there but I think it has to be pointed out that the coverage was much better on the second pass. The safety read it correctly and pinched in on Watson and Ellison's coverage was better as well. It was an amazing throw and catch. 9 out of 10 times that pass falls incomplete.

there's a point there but I think it has to be pointed out that the coverage was much better on the second pass. The safety read it correctly and pinched in on Watson and Ellison's coverage was better as well. It was an amazing throw and catch. 9 out of 10 times that pass falls incomplete.

Agreed. I don't understand how you're supposed to otherwise defend the play. Maybe the "scout" thinks that Ellison should have been firmly planted exactly where the ball was going to arrive before it got there?

By the way, in my view, Ellison is having an outstanding season so far.

That whole point from the scout about the "football 101 - you don't let great quarterbacks go down the middle" is laughable :rolleyes:

Great Qb's are great Qb's. On the 1st TD, the bills LB AND SS were out of position. On the second, they were in perfect positon and Brady threw an even more perfect pass. Scouts are scouts... They are not coaches.

Watch Brady's eyeballs. When his head is straight and he stares straight ahead, there will be a receiver running into his vision.

Your rushing defenders have to stick their arms up if they can. Always give Welker a chuck in the 5 yard legal zone.

What he said... You can't duplicate that second throw and catch. They were incredible... coverage was there on that one.

He is absolutely right. That MLB's job is to get deep in the middle of the field and intercept Watsons route. It give the safety time to react to either side of the field. If he sees the middle getting beat he closes in. There is no 1 person to blame but Fewell got burned twice after calling off the dogs and getting complacent. He should have never stopped pressuring Brady.

Jauron666, As you stated that was a magnificant throw. The coverage by Ellison was very good. When a HOF qb throws such a precise pass at a critical juncture then you have to tip your hat and give credit to the exceptional play. :lol:

You could argue that if POZ doesn't get hurt in that game, those completions for TDs never happen. As a result of the POZ injury, Ellison was manning the MLB position on those plays the Paytoilets scored in the 4th.

Again it all comes back to coaching. Ellison should not be on the field.

Again it all comes back to coaching. Ellison should not be on the field.

The weird part of all this is Ellison used to be a VERY good cover LB as a young pup but was horrible against the run. Now that has somehow completely reversed. I suppose he has put on some weight and muscle but he is still a smallish backer... I think the staff probably counted on him to be better against the pass than has played out of late.

Great coverage? You guys have foggy memories. It was surely a good pass, but Watson had a step on him and Ellison never turned back to see where the ball was. He was basically lost out there, chasing Watson for dear life. Go to about the 1:20 mark:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000...1-vs-Bills-2009

Thanks for posting this clip. Funny though, I came away with a different conclusion - i.e. I think Ellison was actually in better position there than I originally thought he was. That pass (and catch) was just really, really good.

Those damn Patriots.

EDIT: I changed my mind - it was mostly the catch. If the Watson route was headed to the post, Ellison was actually in better position had the pass gone to where the route looked like it was intended. The pass was somewhat behind, or the right, of Watson - unless Brady put it there on purpose.

The weird part of all this is Ellison used to be a VERY good cover LB as a young pup but was horrible against the run. Now that has somehow completely reversed. I suppose he has put on some weight and muscle but he is still a smallish backer... I think the staff probably counted on him to be better against the pass than has played out of late.

To take this point even further, Keith played safety his first two years of college ball and he ran a sub 4.6 coming out of college. Based on the above he actually projects to being a very good cover linebacker.

So true. I used to think the scout comments in Pasquarelli's column was the only reason to visit espn for a football article. Now there is zero reason.