Special Teams

CJPearl2

Anyone else notice that our return game (not counting "the fumble") has been very average this year? We haven't had any real good returns. We need McGee back there for a couple runs this week, because we need field position to win this week.

Roscoe Parish should handle all kickoff and punt return duties in my opinion so our best DB's don't get banged up on special teams.

Roscoe is too small for kickoff returns any contact and he goes to the ground. Lankster looked good in preseason but he has not been active.

Anyone else notice that our return game (not counting "the fumble") has been very average this year? We haven't had any real good returns. We need McGee back there for a couple runs this week, because we need field position to win this week.

Matter of fact I was wondering about the same thing. It's not only our returners but our coverage also. I would say average is a good description.

It does appear that the special teams are less special. Maybe it is because of large turnover, perhaps Bills did what many claimed they wanted them to do - concentrate on depth on offense and defense rather than special teams, or hopefully they have not got their full legs underneath with all of vanilla preseason and number of injuries.

Have any teams returned a kickoff/punt for a TD this year?

Of the top of my head, Cleveland Returner Josh Cribbs and Phily's DeSean Jackson have taken one to the house.

Since we're chatting about returns being down, notice how inept Devin Hester has been as a returner since assuming WR rsponsibilities. I know the Bears were lightening his return duties, but he's completely fallen off the 'return' map. --Just my observations. Go Bills!!

April's just sandbaggin'. Showing off in the opener last year -KR TD & fake FG- had the rest of the league preparing for us. This year, we'll pull it when we need it. :rolleyes:

Our Kick coverage isn't bad. It just seems we're not getting down the field fast enough. When we finally arrive, the runner doesn't get much more.

Gotta be the new rule changes.

For 08. April directed the Bills special teams to a number one ranking in the NFL in 2008 to mark the third time in the past five years as compiled by Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News and was named to the Coach of Year Award as voted on by his peers and initiated by Ray and Rob Pelfrey, the founders of Professional Kicking Services.

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/coaches/b...fc-3ac22b2cfd3f

Not so sure it is the returner as much as the new Wedge rules and the fact that each year, although the return man is still here, plenty of the key Special Teamers have left or been cut off of the team.