Gotta Love the BBC

Chef Jim

"Yes, (Prime) Minister" was a gem as well. Too bad a local PBS station stopped airing it in favor of some not-so-good Brit-coms like "Keeping Up Appearances."

Also, props to the BBC-PBS relationship wrt "Masterpiece." The adaptation of Dickens' "Little Dorrit" won 7 Emmys, including best miniseries and cinematography.

The sound of hoof beats 'cross the glade.

Good folk, lock up your son and daughter.

Beware the deadly flashing blade,

Unless you want to end up shorter.

Black Adder, Black Adder. He rides a pitch black steed.

Black Adder, Black Adder. He's very bad indeed.

Black. His gloves of finest mole.

Black. His codpiece made of metal.

His horse is blacker than a hole.

His pot is blacker than his kettle.

Black Adder, Black Adder. With many an cunning plan.

Black Adder, Black Adder. You horrid little man!

"Yes, (Prime) Minister" was a gem as well. Too bad a local PBS station stopped airing it in favor of some not-so-good Brit-coms like "Keeping Up Appearances."

Yes (Prime) Minister was not only very successful but was the favourite of British politicans (most notably Mrs Thatcher), many ministers all saw a lot of Sir Humphrey in the top civil servants who... ahem... aided them in their jobs.

KUA on the otherhand was pretty naff. There aren;t too many good sitcoms on British TV anymore, comedy programming seems to have gone in another direction (some pretty good panel shows/pseudo quiz shows, mainly)

Also, props to the BBC-PBS relationship wrt "Masterpiece." The adaptation of Dickens' "Little Dorrit" won 7 Emmys, including best miniseries and cinematography.

Dorothy Sayer's character - Lord Peter Wimsey - nicknamed his big, fast Daimler "Mrs. Merdle"... :thumbdown:

Yes (Prime) Minister was not only very successful but was the favourite of British politicans (most notably Mrs Thatcher), many ministers all saw a lot of Sir Humphrey in the top civil servants who... ahem... aided them in their jobs.

KUA on the otherhand was pretty naff. There aren;t too many good sitcoms on British TV anymore, comedy programming seems to have gone in another direction (some pretty good panel shows/pseudo quiz shows, mainly)

The dialogue was superb.

And the BBC arch idiot that cancelled "Mulberry" before its' conclusion has a lot to answer for...

I remember when i lived in Buffalo we'd watch shows coming out of Canada. Their censors were much more liberal.

THe same idea I guess with BBC America. BTW I miss torchwood.

Probably one of the main reasons why buffalonians rock ! The access to canadian tv channels and their much more diverse programming than their US counterparts make buffalonians some of the more open minded americans!

Probably one of the main reasons why buffalonians rock ! The access to canadian tv channels and their much more diverse programming than their US counterparts make buffalonians some of the more open minded americans!

I miss CFL broadcasts. And was happy to see ESPN broadcast last season's Grey Cup. That was a fine game.

I miss CFL broadcasts. And was happy to see ESPN broadcast last season's Grey Cup. That was a fine game.

THis may be dating me, do you remember when a group of college all-stars would play the NFL champs in a pre-season gamee?

THis may be dating me, do you remember when a group of college all-stars would play the NFL champs in a pre-season gamee?

I sure do. IIRC, it was at the end of the NFL season, not part of the pre-season games. Also IIRC, the college all-stars won a game or two - not sure. 3rd IIRC - the All-Stars played the Championship Game losers.

Perhaps KRC will chime in with the facts about this.

Of course back then, the players in college and those that got a job in the pros were more comparable in size/speed.

I sure do. IIRC, it was at the end of the NFL season, not part of the pre-season games. Also IIRC, the college all-stars won a game or two - not sure. 3rd IIRC - the All-Stars played the Championship Game losers.

Perhaps KRC will chime in with the facts about this.

Of course back then, the players in college and those that got a job in the pros were more comparable in size/speed.

Pretty sure the Bills got beat by the college all-stars during their championships.

As was the acting. Nigel Hawthorne, especially.

Indeed.

I'm in a fortunate spot. I get 4 PBS channels thanks to cable proximity to Dayton, the Miami(OH) station and Cincinnati and Kentucky. Also, Ky's KET network has 3 channels. The KET network does a good job; plenty of fascinating programming about local Ky life and history. And also BBC America stuff. A lot of that is trash, but gems surface from time to time.

Two of the PBS channels were forced up the dial into the HD atmosphere, but a no-cost DVR box swap with T-W solved that. They come over fine on my SD CRT tvs.

I also had a good situation when I lived in the PGH area, getting both the WVA PBS tv feed as well as the WVA public radio stations.

Indeed.

I'm in a fortunate spot. I get 4 PBS channels thanks to cable proximity to Dayton, the Miami(OH) station and Cincinnati and Kentucky. Also, Ky's KET network has 3 channels. The KET network does a good job; plenty of fascinating programming about local Ky life and history. And also BBC America stuff. A lot of that is trash, but gems surface from time to time.

Two of the PBS channels were forced up the dial into the HD atmosphere, but a no-cost DVR box swap with T-W solved that. They come over fine on my SD CRT tvs.

I also had a good situation when I lived in the PGH area, getting both the WVA PBS tv feed as well as the WVA public radio stations.

Kinda the same boat here. We're over-the-air only. Last year, did an antenna upgrade for the conversion. On the cusp of three markets, so we get PBSs from Providence, Hartford/New London and two from the flagship PBS in Boston. At least in the northeast, PBS really seemed to embrace the digital conversion and HD content a lot sooner and better than many other stations/networks, and that on shoestring budgets.

Kinda the same boat here. We're over-the-air only. Last year, did an antenna upgrade for the conversion. On the cusp of three markets, so we get PBSs from Providence, Hartford/New London and two from the flagship PBS in Boston. At least in the northeast, PBS really seemed to embrace the digital conversion and HD content a lot sooner and better than many other stations/networks, and that on shoestring budgets. (OH)

PBS 14 (as broadcast here in Cincy) bought out channel 16 PBS, the Miami (OH) University taxpayer-subsidized outlet and a couple of allied PBS radio stations. They call themselves "Think TV". You know the routine - men and women of "vision" who were convinced that the purchases were the smart way to go. These visionaries puffed up their chest and assured that all would be gold and by the way send in that check as usual - we merely had to adore the words of our betters.

Unfortunatly, the normal contributing public has been lifting the leg on them, because they decided to load up on the "ad" content, failed to account for the fact of the cessation of monies extracted out of the taxpayer's hide from the Miami station unwilling or not, that the after the acquisition took place, then bought tons of old and cheesy programming. They beg incessantly. Their morning slate is not appealing anymore. The radio audience is especially mad, because previous content was dropped in large measure. The morning radio offerings are this or that syndicated thing spaced between each day's Obama love fest pieces. Sorry - that is so.

They misjudged the effects and resentment of their money grab - several content providers of local interest - financial topics, health, cooking, etc, that gave them content for free for years now tell them to pony up cash or forget about it.

I have handed over $ to PBS for years. I got a mailing a couple of weeks ago from this outfit, basically accusing me of being a cheap d*ik and a hater if I didn't fork over a check, pronto.

So I did - to KET.

Edited by stuckincincy

I have handed over $ to PBS for years. I got a mailing a couple of weeks ago from this outfit, basically accusing me of being a cheap d*ik and a hater if I didn't fork over a check, pronto.

YOU gave money to public broadcasting? YOU????

Dwight...for future reference, forget all your other nonsense. THIS is a sign of the apocalypse.