Is there any term fruitier than the the word "Swagger"

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep hearing this term being used in reference to football. It started last season, and has become a term I hear in just about every other football article, and it has popped up on this board a lot lately. It sounds truly fruity, and makes the people that use it seem like tools.

apple, comes to mind. peaches, too.

jw

I keep hearing this term being used in reference to football. It started last season, and has become a term I hear in just about every other football article, and it has popped up on this board a lot lately. It sounds truly fruity, and makes the people that use it seem like tools.

My thoughts exactly

They could be calling them stallions. But I dont know how it could get any worse than yesterdays colts-dolphins announcing. These guys were rolling out every superlative in the book and practically begging Manning for a sperm sample for their wives.

Braggadocio, possibly? But that only describes gay italians.

Edit: It could be even worse. They could say "these guys have a certain Je ne sais quoi out there".

Now you are just being coy, and its sooooooo cute.

Here is what "fruitier" means, the word among all other you chose to best convey your meaning:

1. Of, containing, or relating to fruit.

2. Tasting or smelling richly of or as if of fruit.

3. Excessively sentimental or sweet.

4. Slang Crazy; eccentric.

5. Offensive Slang Homosexual.

Since 1, 2 and 3 would make no sense in the context you were using it, that leaves either offensive slang for gay or "eccentric". Snice it would have been quite easy to come up with a word that more clearly meant crazy and only that, it is apparent that you didn't mean that either. "Crazy" also would be quite a stretch for describing use of the word "swaggering". I'd also be willing to bet that offensive slang for gay is the far more common usage of fruity than is eccentric. I find it hard to beleive that you meant "crazy" and rather than use a word that meant simply that, chose instead to use a word that is so often used as offensive slang.

No one knows what is in your head or your heart where true intentions reside but based on what you actually said, you can't really complain at the rational conclusions drawn therefrom. Not knowing you, I would give you the benefit of the doubt as not really having meant to offend.

Certainly, when it comes to that kind of thing, there are far, far, far worse comments around here. It is too often the first insult out of the box when posters go at it.

:thumbsup: Outstanding!

Yes. Glad you asked.

"Dandy", as used by some Brits to descibe a man who dresses with a lot of fashion sense, flair, and panache.

Cockney accent: "oh he's quite a dandy awright, he is". Very faggy in my opinion.

Cigarettey? <_<

how about "Tweet"

even though this isn't about the topic, i cannot stand when someone/something is being described as 'poised' or 'having poise' anymore. i immediately go into an eye roll, mainly due to the people that justified trent edwards' non-producing by him having a lot of 'poise'. (fyi, this was a year or two ago)

How do you feel about the word "composure?"

Yes. Glad you asked.

"Dandy", as used by some Brits to descibe a man who dresses with a lot of fashion sense, flair, and panache.

Cockney accent: "oh he's quite a dandy awright, he is". Very faggy in my opinion.

Yes, "dandy" is even worse than "dashing."

Back on topic, i think grown men calling other grown men "studs" is highly questionable.

Or a quote like this: "Jackson is capable of coming in and giving Lynch a blow every few series." That one dates back at least to the sixties and for some odd reason, hasn't become anywhere near extinct yet.

My personal unfavorites are "he's given them excellent play at the wide receiver position." Apparently everyone who is a professional commentator can no longer use equivalent expressions such as "he's an excellent wide receiver for them" or "he's been excellent at wide receiver for them." Apparently there was an official change where any time you talk about a position, you have to add the prefix and suffix "the ______________ position.

Another one that is thankfully receding into the scrap pile of overused football terms is calling the leader of a unit the "bell cow." Yeah, I want the leader of the offensive line (i.e.--Hangartner) to be referred to as a female bovine that wears a bell around its neck so that the other lady bovines follow it around the pasture. Great characterization. How about "pack leader" or "alpha male" or just about any freaking thing else. Bell cow. Great one guys.

Calling a football leader a bell cow is about as good an idea as having a two helicopter flyover on opening day.

"mango"

Here's a true story for you. I was recently at a birthday party for a friend of my son. During the cake-eating portion of the party, we were seated next to a table full of boys ranging in age from 5 to 7 years. They were discussing their favorite fruits. One of the boys said mangoes, to which another replied, "Mangoes? Mangoes suck my a$$."

To hear that from a 6-year-old boy? <_< Stupified.

Another one I hate is the recent practice of replacing the eons-old word "proud" with "prideful."

Extra syllable, same meaning...who comes up with this crap. I'm all for finding the perfect word for the sentence. Some words are very similar but in any given situation, one is better than the other. But the difference between "proud" and "prideful" is nil.

And typically the morons saying "bell cow" and "prideful" are the same morons saying axed instead of asked.

Just got back from work and I can't believe what this post has evolved into. Really the term "fruitier" was just a quick word to catch attention on the board. I figured if I wrote "annoying" I would get "you annoy me" back in resposne. It wasn't really meant as a gay slur. I know of those implications, but I know full well that there are plenty of tough, macho gay men, and plenty of "fruity" straight guys. I definitely have NOTHING against gay people, don't care who people have sex with, etc., and don't condone any of the anti gay sentiments expressed on this thread. The "butch" comment was me just playing up to the guys that accused me of being "afraid of gays".

Really the point was, why is this silly word "swagger" suddenly being thrown around? It is so obvious that people have heard it used on ESPN or some fool on the Dallas Cowboys talking about how "you have to have a certain swagger to play on this team" and now I see people walking around with exaggerated shoulder movements talking about having swagger and it's always some some fool from the warehouse at work, or the pizza delivery guy, etc.

Yeah I know the word wasn't recently invented, but I didn't hear it used 5 times a day. They used to say "moves with confidence" or something along those lines.

What happened to "Cocksure"?