Do the Bills try to re-sign Owens or let him walk after 1 year?

Jerry Jabber

I was against the TO signing at the beginning and for awhile too. However, from an X's and O's perspective, TO changes how teams gameplan against us. If we don't have TO, there's no way we play against the Patriots like we did. And now that TO is with the Bills, it seems obvious to me the media likes to create stories out of half-quotes and misrepresentations.

When's the last time you saw 2 bombs in one game to 2 different receivers? Moulds/Price? Put simply, TO changes our game.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was against the TO signing at the beginning and for awhile too. However, from an X's and O's perspective, TO changes how teams gameplan against us. If we don't have TO, there's no way we play against the Patriots like we did. And now that TO is with the Bills, it seems obvious to me the media likes to create stories out of half-quotes and misrepresentations.

When's the last time you saw 2 bombs in one game to 2 different receivers? Moulds/Price? Put simply, TO changes our game.

If TO can actually catch the ball. But his impact is huge on the offense. Just don't give him a multi year deal. He is the most insecure person on the planet.

One and done for Owens.

IIRC, Owens and his agent have already made some noise before the season started about signing Owens to a longer a deal.

The Bills said no.

The bigger question is: why would the Bills even want him for more than a single year?

Owens was a marketing move that solved a performance problem (at least for the short term).

If the Bills produce a winning season this year, the demand for season tickets will remain high.

This will negate the need for TO from a marketing standpoint, and TO walks.

From a performance standpoint, the Bills have 2 second year WRs. IMHO, they are willing to see how they play out, especially Hardy. By the end of the year, if Hardy looks like he is showing progress, I would expect Hardy to become the #2 WR, and TO walks.

From a financial standpoint, if TO has a productive season, I can imagine TO and his agent looking for a major increase in salary. IMHO, I do not see the Bills sinking another $7-8M+/yr into a 36 year old player on the downside of his career.

If the Bills produce a losing season, it will be moot. I doubt TO wants to be part of a rebuilding team, even if the rebuilding curve should be short.

I think you pretty much nailed it. <_<

I say let him walk. This team is much too brittle for distractions. You can almost feel the beginning of rumblings from that volcano. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he was cut mid-season if he begins to act up. For what he is giving us right now, we have other talented receivers waiting in line to do the same job, if not better. He was supposed to, at the very least, open up the game for Lee and we have yet to see this.

wtf are you talking about? What statement or video do you have to support these "rumblings"? Did you not see both he and Evans caught TD passes with one on one coverage. NE played two deep the whole game and we killed them with underneath stuff. TB tried to take away the screens and underneath stuff and got killed over the top.

That is what was supposed to happen and if the line holds up will continue to happen.

Who knows if he stays... Hardy was never and will never be a speed guy down the sideline. Doubt Johnson is that guy. I would like to see him stay. If he doesn't draft a speed guy or get Boldin. Mulitple options.

The only way he isn't here mis-season is if we lose the next 4 in a row, DJ is fired, and he is traded to Minnesota, Balitmore, or either of the NY ( or better states the New Jersey) teams.

2 games, 4 catches, less than 100 yards, 1 dropped perfectly thrown ball, and 1 td. Way too early, but at this point if you had to make a decision, let him walk.

The Bills WON 1 Game with TO & it should be 2 Games. I doubt they do that without him. I KNOW the Bucs MISSED Antonio Bryant last Sunday.

Guest dog14787
I got this feeling TO fell in love with The Ralph Sunday

T.O. has brought an excellent work ethic, swagger, and much needed veteran leadership to a very young football team.

When you look at it from a marketing perspective , T.O. is good not only for the football team , but for the City of Buffalo and surrounding area.

Take for instance his next VH1 season 2 coming up, the first season had scenes filmed at Niagara Falls, season 2 may show something else unique about the City of Buffalo or surrounding area.

To me having T.O. in Buffalo is a win, win, situation. Win for the Buffalo Bills Organization and fans and a win for the City of Buffalo.

<_<
I know it's early in the season, but is this a one and done year for Owens with the Bills? I hope that's not the case. In the Bucs game, we finally got a glimpse of what is possible with having 2 stellar WR's and a good run game. So far, Edwards is looking good this season and IMO Edwards will have a breakout year, mainly due to having Evans & Owens to throw to. I would hope the Bills would sign Owens to a 3 year extension and will have a great offense for years to come.

I don't think that is possible. isn't he like 50 Tds away from it? he would have to be in the league another 5 years, and make 10 tds a year. doesn't seem very likely

I didn't say I thought it was realistic (Jerry Rice had 197 TDs in 21 years, TO has 140 TDs in 14 years) but I thinks he think he can last as long as Jerry Rice as long as he does not have a serious injury so it is possible to obtain considering some of the changes favoring offenses if he finds the right team. Sometimes having unrealistic goals helps and sometimes it hurts. I think this year was all about salvaging his reputation as a team player so he could pick where he goes next.

I say let him walk. This team is much too brittle for distractions. You can almost feel the beginning of rumblings from that volcano. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he was cut mid-season if he begins to act up. For what he is giving us right now, we have other talented receivers waiting in line to do the same job, if not better. He was supposed to, at the very least, open up the game for Lee and we have yet to see this.

Yea ok. We have seen his presence open up the field for Trent. New England would not be just giving us the underneath throws if they didn't have to worry about TO...they would do what they did last year - 8 in the box and double Lee Evans and poof, our offense disappears. If you can't see the benefit TO has provided already, there really is no point in you continuing to watch games that you clearly don't comprehend.

LOL @ "other talented receivers". GET REAL. You have zero idea what you are talking about. OMFG.

I don't know what it is y'all are seeing that makes you want him back.

Let preface this by saying that I'm in his corner - I really like T.O. - I'm a fan and had been excited about him as our #2.

But....would love it if he were more than just a shadow of his former self.

Too me, he looks very slowwwwwww - like he's out for Sunday jog. I don't see the quick burst or much in the way of leaving his cover man in the dust.

And it's not as if he's Mr. Dependable in the pass catching department. He let what should have been an easy catch (for a top tier WR) go right through his hands. Another one that got away was the bobbled ball in the end zone. Coulda had it.

The only thing keeping T.O. as a #2 is his experience and savvy and use of physicallity against lesser DBs. I predict it won't be long before opposing D's stop doubling him, freeing a DB for other support.

If Johnson or Hardy aren't ready to make the jump to the #2 WR, maybe there'll be a good pickup in FA - a la Randy Moss.

I think this season will be the end of the road for T.O.

Ahem. Except you will be replacing the obvious #1 receiver, and nobody on the Bills roster beside for TO can man that position adequately. Lee Evans is not now and never will be a #1 receiver. He is an above average #2 receiver, but lacks the size or route running expertise to make the kind of impact you have to have out of your top weapon. Repeat: TO is NOT the #2 receiver. Stop pretending Lee Evans is better than he is. Lee Evans never dictated a game plan to BB before. You need to wake up and realize that your estimation of Lee Evans' abilities is sorely disproportionate to reality.

It is a farce for you people to suggest that Lee is even comparable to TO, much less that he is better than TO. TO is infinitely superior to Lee, and if he walks this year, so do the Bills chances of making a post season run, or even making it to the post season.

After only two games TO is already showing signs of the old TO. With a very young and upcoming group of players that will begin to wear on them negatively. I really am beginning to feel very good about the difference Van Pelt is making in the play calling. If Hardy can come back soon and develope decently during the course of the year I would not be very surprised if the Bills let TO and traveling roadshow hit the road at the end of the year. The only way TO will be happy is if he continues to get the ball thrown his way and he scores at least 9 more TDs. If that happens he'll demand a "BIG" raise with a long term contract. Not what the Bills need.

I think this is wrong. The old TO M.O. is to be a pretty good teammate to all his first season and then to become more of a divider later in his time with a team. This is what the old TO did in SF (it took more than 1 season before the division set in, PHilly (He was pretty solid with all teammates his first year but he and McNabb had a breakdown pretty quickly in his second season, and in Dallas (again he was a solid citizen his first year and much of his second before he and Romo had trouble fitting into the same room but as Romo is not cashing checks he wrote when it was declared his team, TO might have been right.

If you are interpreting TOs notariety to point as an emergence of the 2nd or 3rd year TO this has not been his past MO and is likely more in the mind of the poster based on the national media also jumping to the final act rather than any TO particulars.

It isn't T.O.'s presence out there that's creating all that room underneath. No. It's magic fairies. <_<

Owens deserves nothing less than a contract that allows him to retire in Buffalo. He came here when NO other premeir receivers would even LOOK at us. This guy's a future Hall of Famer, people. We were a JOKE at the time Ralph contacted him. Our team was rumored to be moving to flipping CANADA, for Christ's sake. People of this town were SERIOUSLY ready to stop going to games anymore. The mood here was FOUL. Terrell Owens came and quietly, YES QUIETLY, took ahold of our hearts and said, "Hey, calm down, it's all gonna be OK." And so far, he's making good.

All the so-called experts on TV are saying how Terrell has already "blown up" at his club, and the haters here have grasped onto the WEAK arguments these yokels are making and have run with them, and frankly, it WOULD be laughable, if it weren't so meanspirited. All T.O. has done since coming here is calm the storm amongst the desperate fans, create a sense of self-worth among his teammates, and make Buffalo less of a joke (to everyone actually paying attention to the FOOTBALL being played here, anyway). And sheesh, how do you get mad at him for the things he's saying?! He says that he thinks Trent should go long more, take some shots downfield, and what does Trent do? Trent goes long a BUNCH the next game. The result? Two long touchdowns and a WIN.

Look, the guy knew that his own reputation was in the crapper back when maybe the crappiest team in the league came calling. B-Lo and T.O are a match made in Heaven. A town desperate for a hero, and a guy who wants nothing more than to BE that hero. The day the Bills and Owens signed their contract, two NFL outcasts got together and said, "We can help each other, I think." And so far, he's done MORE than his part.

Least we could do is recognize how big a gesture that was.

I preface this by saying I think the season needs to play out and we, more than anything, need to see what James Hardy is made of.

That said, we just re-signed McGee... There is no other major free agent on the roster after 2009, other than Owens. Why not franchise him for one year..? Assuming he doesn't agree to a deal anyway, this is a way to keep him. He gets a lot of guaranteed money, which for an older player is what he is looking for, and we get another year of T.O. keeping our offense dangerous, rather than one-dimensional. If nothing else, it is an option... Again, we don't know to this point how James Hardy or Steve Johnson will contribute... Consider every option at the end of the season and if T.O. is the best option, do what you can to keep him one more year...

This may be a pipe dream with a franchise like Buffalo, but we never expected him to come here in the first place... I say keep T.O. one more year even if it means a lot of guaranteed money. It brought in season ticket sales this year... Why wouldn't it next year assuming he continues to open up the passing game...

Some very good points in this thread. I think he's a good fit here for us and him. IMO, our next starting WR is Shawn Nelson. He's in the 'Boldin makeup' that's all the rage. If Owens can give us 2 more years, he can ride off into the HOF sunset -as a Bill!- and we should be set at the position.

Yes, he's had issues with his previous QB's, but Edwards is a different cat and I just don't see this as an issue.

After only two games TO is already showing signs of the old TO. With a very young and upcoming group of players that will begin to wear on them negatively. I really am beginning to feel very good about the difference Van Pelt is making in the play calling. If Hardy can come back soon and develope decently during the course of the year I would not be very surprised if the Bills let TO and traveling roadshow hit the road at the end of the year. The only way TO will be happy is if he continues to get the ball thrown his way and he scores at least 9 more TDs. If that happens he'll demand a "BIG" raise with a long term contract. Not what the Bills need.

Your kidding right? TO brings a passion to the game that translates into a winning attitude. That is something we havent seen here in a decade. I have never liked TO but I think that he thinks he can actually pull this team up into the playoff race. Know what, I believe him.