How does Perry Fewell escape criticism?

jahbonas

Whats odd is I think they typically play too conservative/loose on short 3rd down conversions....but when we really needed to play a conservative 3-deep scheme across the goal line they leave a LB 1 on 1 with a TE into the endzone....

Juaron seems to play a scheme defensively that allows long drives and high % 3rd down conversions (this has ZERO to do with no huddle offense scheme).....with the thought being to await the opponent to make some type of mistake (turnover/penalty) to kill their own drive.......this may be an ok strategy when you takeover a defense with no playmakers and personnell wise are really out matched.....however we are no longer in that mode....we have multiple #1's in our secondary and have added talent to our Dline (Stroud & Maybin) and others have developed(Kyle Willaims) where we can force the issue defensively with a decent passrush and talented DB's to play tight and occasionally jump routes....

If your gonna play a drop back bend but dont break defense all the time....then why waste high draft picks on defensive players because playing off 15 yards and tackling a guy after an easy 8 yrd catch can be done by less talented DB's....

Definitely the case today as Tampa is seemingly moving the ball at will and if it wasn't for their mistakes, this game would be a lot closer than it already is.

Case in point, look at the defensive calls Rex Ryan and his D-coordinator made at the end of the Pats-Jets game. They brought the house and it just wrecked Brady's rhythm. The Bills instead went to the prevent and were killed by consecutive small plays.

I am fearful for the second half of this game...

Maybe he's starting to get it. When TB was needing the scores quick he started sending the house.

Yeah. And the result was they got the score quick.

Going blitz happy with that 2 score lead was foolish and opened the door for the Bucs to crawl back in it.

I don't have a big problem with Fewell aside from some occasional predictability, but I was chewing his ass good on that drive.

Leftwich miracled a couple 4th downs he had no right to. Bottom line was that the aggressive approach, including those safety blitzes from Ronde Barber (thank Daryl Johnston for that one) was mostly working. You got an inaccurate immobile pylon back there, go knock him down a few (dozen) times. They might have lucked out that one drive by 1 out of 4 plays succeeding but the damage we laid on the drama queen and the clock that got chewed up paid dividends in that last drive when he was just flinging and hoping like Marino used to do facing down Bruce Smith.

Yeah. And the result was they got the score quick.

Going blitz happy with that 2 score lead was foolish and opened the door for the Bucs to crawl back in it.

I don't have a big problem with Fewell aside from some occasional predictability, but I was chewing his ass good on that drive.

The thing that got to me was when Tampa was lining up for 4th and goal the Bills had blitzed on the last 3 downs successfully. The Bucs come up to the LoS and see the Bills showing blitz again. They call a timeout.

After the timeout they line up again and the Bills still show blitz pre-snap. I was screaming at the TV coming out the TO, "DO NOT BLITZ, show the blitz but then drop back." What do the Bills do? Snap of the ball, Bills send the house and Leftwhich dumps it off for an easy TD, a play they clearly decided on based on what the Bills had been doing.

How dumb does the coaching staff have to be when they know the Bucs called a TO to deal with the blitz and they still send the house?

Leftwich miracled a couple 4th downs he had no right to. Bottom line was that the aggressive approach, including those safety blitzes from Ronde Barber (thank Daryl Johnston for that one) was mostly working. You got an inaccurate immobile pylon back there, go knock him down a few (dozen) times. They might have lucked out that one drive by 1 out of 4 plays succeeding but the damage we laid on the drama queen and the clock that got chewed up paid dividends in that last drive when he was just flinging and hoping like Marino used to do facing down Bruce Smith.

Every one of those 4th down miracles was made possible by an unnecessary blitz that left the Bills undermanned in their defensive backfield. I agree that a stationary target with a slow release is a goldleaf invitation to send the dogs for most of the game, but I thought Fewell would have been smarter to defend the sidelines, protect against the deep ball and force Tampa to use more clock than they did on that one drive that could/should have brought them within 8.

Ok, I'll concede that point. The timeout should have indicated they didn't like what they saw, so don't call the same thing.

I still think that smacking him around on that drive resulted in Leftwich not winding up down to his ankles later, which caused some of the ugliest NFL throws I've seen this side of Akili Smith.