religion

Seriously? I'd have much less of a problem with them if their leadership was not doing exactly that.

Religious people are no more moral than non-religious people.

Suggesting that all religious people rape kids is like saying all politicians screw their interns. But if it makes you feel better to easily stand in judgement of an entire group based on the sins of a small portion of that group, there is little anyone can do to hold a normal conversation with you.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suggesting that all religious people rape kids is like saying all politicians screw their interns. But if it makes you feel better to easily stand in judgement of an entire group based on the sins of a small portion of that group, there is little anyone can do to hold a normal conversation with you.

I agree not all religious people are bad, duh... we are gettting off track . the question at hand is , are religion claims unjustified belief and are we paying a terrible price for this unjustified claim?

ie

jew promised land from god

homosexuality is a sin

life starts at conception

competing religious identities ie sunni vs shiite'e

rejecting evolution

people rising from the dead

going to hell if u dont call god the right name.

women being abused in the muslim world

animals being sacrificed in the muslim world

blocking stem cell research

god was mad at the immoral behavior in new orleans so he let katrina happen...

the inquisition

are these claims unjustified in the 21st century?

is religion eroding our common sense here?

My contention is that religion is basically worthless and the sins I'm talking about are the sins of the leaders of the group, both in action and in cover-up/denial. In this case, I would imagine that there are a higher percentage of priests who are pedophiles than "lay" pedophiles in the general population. I would also imagine this has more to do with the type of people who are attracted to the priesthood, but that's beside the point.

If religious people are no more moral than the rest of us and there is no rational basis for believing in any religion, then what's the point of religion? Why believe some made-up, unprovable story when it doesn't buy you anything but self-delusion?

Ya know...just the other day, I was at Mass and looking through the Church bulletin at the list of ministries.....I saw a Marriage Ministry, Community Outreach Ministry, Music Ministry, but couldnt find the Kill the Gays and Sell Your Daughters Ministry. I beleive they dont list that one, but I hear they meet in the Rectory basement on the third Tuesday of every month and the meetings are a real hoot.

You should read the Bible. You can find a copy in just about any hotel room.

If religious people are no more moral than the rest of us and there is no rational basis for believing in any religion, then what's the point of religion? Why believe some made-up, unprovable story when it doesn't buy you anything but self-delusion?

I think there are many, many reasons why people identify with a specific religion, but self-delusion is certainly not one of them. As evidenced by this thread, self-delusion transcends theology.

I think there are many, many reasons why people identify with a specific religion, but self-delusion is certainly not one of them. As evidenced by this thread, self-delusion transcends theology.

nobody is denying that their are other dogmas....

why does religion (another dogma) get a free pass? these are claims that on there face are rediculous.

My contention is that religion is basically worthless and the sins I'm talking about are the sins of the leaders of the group, both in action and in cover-up/denial. In this case, I would imagine that there are a higher percentage of priests who are pedophiles than "lay" pedophiles in the general population. I would also imagine this has more to do with the type of people who are attracted to the priesthood, but that's beside the point.

So because certain individuals that are part of a much larger group do bad things, that means the entire group is bad? LA's right, theres no point in continuing this conversation with you.

Perhaps oyu shodl take a time out when you can understand the difference between having faith/being religious and the institution of organized religion.

Unfortunately there are nuts and extremists in all the major religions that take things too far. That doesn't mean the tenants of religion are illegitimate, just the crazies. I am not advocating one over another, just that this discussion is for lack of a better word, off base and brings credence to the crazies.

The question is this- is religion a good thing that can be bad, or a bad thing that can be good?

well first off im not making any claims on reality, religious people are...

No, you are calling all people that believe in God or a Higher Power complete idiots, and at the same time wondering why there is push back. Well, maybe you need to rethink what respecting the beliefs of others is all about. Sometimes you just need to realize that the idea of "think like me or you're a dumbass" might not win you too many friends.