Getting Evans and TO open

Got_Wood

Taking a look at the Patriots on film, they find various ways to get their best WR's open against a defense that is expecting it. Take a look at these clips (link to video)and see what schemes they used:

At 0:12 in the video:

They line up trips left and get Welker matched up against a linebacker (Poz) and get a mismatch. They run off the 2 receivers out wide and get Welker on a quick out underneath. Easy grab and a quick gain.

0:49 in the video:

This is what we need to learn more than anything. Once again, trips right formation and Welker is mismatched on a linebacker. Welker runs a quick 5 yard hitch route, and he's not open at all. Brady pump fakes an out route to Baker and keys back in on Welker, and he adjusts his route sprinting towards the middle of the field. He gets separation from Buggs and almost gets in the endzone. Routes may not be open initially, but receivers need to find open space and adjust to get open so their QB can find them.

1:18 in the video:

This is one of the easiest ways to get your best receivers open. The TE is lined up in the slot and Moss is spread out wide. The TE runs straight at the defender pushing him out of the play, and Moss runs underneath the TE easily wide open and runs for a very big gain. The pick play is classic, and works all the time. Belichik has been using it against us for years.

1:48 in the video:

This play shows that Belichik and Brady looked at film at halftime. Basically Moss sprints straight up field, and basically stops at a window where there is a break in coverage. Literally he just ran to a spot and waited for the ball. We need to make these type of in-game adjustments in order to beat good teams. It's a must.

2:33 and 2:55 in the video:

This really kills me. Once again, the Patriots obviously looked at film and found a hole in our coverage. They literally used the SAME FORMATION and the SAME PLAY on BOTH touchdowns at the end of the game to beat us. The same TE seam route to Watson right between the safeties. They found a play that worked and beat us with it TWICE. And we didn't adjust.

This is just smart coaching and a smart QB. We can learn from this though. I really hope we build on this game and start to use the weapons we have strategically to beat our opponents. It's a big test for AVP and Trent, but they can do it.

Taking a look at the Patriots on film, they find various ways to get their best WR's open against a defense that is expecting it. Take a look at these clips (link to video)and see what schemes they used:

They line up trips left and get Welker matched up against a linebacker (Poz) and get a mismatch. They run off the 2 receivers out wide and get Welker on a quick out underneath. Easy grab and a quick gain.

This is what we need to learn more than anything. Once again, trips right formation and Welker is mismatched on a linebacker. Welker runs a quick 5 yard hitch route, and he's not open at all. Brady pump fakes an out route to Baker and keys back in on Welker, and he adjusts his route sprinting towards the middle of the field. He gets separation from Buggs and almost gets in the endzone. Routes may not be open initially, but receivers need to find open space and adjust to get open so their QB can find them.

This is one of the easiest ways to get your best receivers open. The TE is lined up in the slot and Moss is spread out wide. The TE runs straight at the defender pushing him out of the play, and Moss runs underneath the TE easily wide open and runs for a very big gain. The pick play is classic, and works all the time. Belichik has been using it against us for years.

This play shows that Belichik and Brady looked at film at halftime. Basically Moss sprints straight up field, and basically stops at a window where there is a break in coverage. Literally he just ran to a spot and waited for the ball. We need to make these type of in-game adjustments in order to beat good teams. It's a must.

This really kills me. Once again, the Patriots obviously looked at film and found a hole in our coverage. They literally used the SAME FORMATION and the SAME PLAY on BOTH touchdowns at the end of the game to beat us. The same TE seam route to Watson right between the safeties. They found a play that worked and beat us with it TWICE. And we didn't adjust.

This is just smart coaching and a smart QB. We can learn from this though. I really hope we build on this game and start to use the weapons we have strategically to beat our opponents. It's a big test for AVP and Trent, but they can do it.

You forgot about the one play where Faulk motioned out of the backfield to the LOS and once they saw who lined up against him he and Welker switched positions. The pass was then thrown to Welker. I agree with you wholeheartedly though, make the mismatch and exploit it.

Bump, just so you guys can get a look at this...

I didn't watch the vid but I know what you are saying. It's not that hard to spring a guy loose if you design a play for that purpose and the QB knows to throw it to him ahead of time without going through "reads". I hope you're right and Alex studies this and puts some of these into practice. The pick play to TO would be awesome and gain us a lot of yards.

You forgot about the one play where Faulk motioned out of the backfield to the LOS and once they saw who lined up against him he and Welker switched positions. The pass was then thrown to Welker. I agree with you wholeheartedly though, make the mismatch and exploit it.

Yeah, there are actually a few more I didn't mention. Just thought I would point out some of the key plays I noticed.

Aside from a couple times when they read a Bills blitz, the Pats* blocked with only 5 OLmen and sent everyone out in the patterns. That's the key. Having an OLine that can do that for you. When you don't have to keep backs in or line up TEs tight and keep them in, it's easy to find favorable matchups. Throw in an HOF QB, an HOF WR, another Pro Bowl WR, talented TEs that can run and catch, and RBs who can do the same and VOILA!

I can only hope our OL gets to the point where we can spread defenses the same way. Spreading defenses creates all sorts of problems for a D. But it DOES leave an OL vulnerable. Especially at the corners. I know we have the talent at the skill positions but we need a line like NEs* to really take advantage. IMO, we're getting there.

GO BILLS!!!

As I mentioned in another thread, the Bills basically used 3 personnel combinations. In all of these, Schouman was lined up at TE.

1. Nelson at TE about a yard behind LOS, TO on one side, Evans on the other.

2. TO on one side, Evans on the other, Reed in the slot. (I think always on TO side)

3. Parrish on one side, Evans on the other, TO in the slot.

Every pass to TO came from 3. They used that alignment for a few plays on 3rd down early in the game, and then went back to it for the majority of the TD drive in the 2nd half. So they were making (some) in-game adjustments.

i'm not a football analyst, but after the game i got the feeling that AVP knows what he's doing. this is no more the "Let's try this and hope & pray it works" that we've gotten used to thanks to our last few OCs..

i think AVP only gets better with a few more games under his belt, and that should his in-game adjustments, as well as the second half readjustments once the opposing defenses have made their adjustments

in all honesty, when we were moving the ball freely in the first three quarters, it was the first time in many many years i've seen us playing intelligent, flowing offensive football!!

One concern is that a lot of the reason we succeeded is that we simplified things, using fewer plays. That's important when using the no-huddle.

I'm not clear on whether adding in a few plays like this might make things a bit too complicated again for Trent and especially for our very young OLs and for the WRs. It's hard use different formations from the no-huddle, because to be quickly ready to run another play, guys have to run to their position, and it's hard to reposition them and then communicate clearly to the guys on the outside, particularly in loud stadiums.

One concern is that a lot of the reason we succeeded is that we simplified things, using fewer plays. That's important when using the no-huddle.

I'm not clear on whether adding in a few plays like this might make things a bit too complicated again for Trent and especially for our very young OLs and for the WRs. It's hard use different formations from the no-huddle, because to be quickly ready to run another play, guys have to run to their position, and it's hard to reposition them and then communicate clearly to the guys on the outside, particularly in loud stadiums.

Hard for any of us to speculate whether adding some plays will somehow overwhelm Trent, but I will say that I was very impressed with Trent's management of the offense and especially his complete command at the line of scrimmage. His mannerisms and decisiveness reminded me of, dare I say it, Peyton Manning. Clearly this offense and pace do in fact take advantage of Trent's strengths, and it shows.

Several of my coworkers from Houston who have no ties or fan loyalty to the team told me the day after, WOW, Trent really looks like the real deal.

Before I get accused of being negative, let me first say I think AVP did a great job with the playcalling. The screen plays were executed to perfection, having athletic Olineman makes me think our line was just too big last year and couldnt get out of their own way.

BUT...you cant tell me they took out our top 2 wrs...i didnt like when they said last year they took "Lee out of the game". Now they are able to take Lee and TO out of the game? Im sorry that unacceptable, we need to get the rock in their hands. Look at Reggie Wayne last week...with gonzo out with an injury Wayne still tacked up 160 yards...with no reliable option on the other side. If we are taking what we are given and moving the ball is one thing...BUT to say we CANT get Lee or TO the ball is insane!!!

To quote Bill Belichik himself (I hate him but he's an intelligent coach), he said that you can take the same small set of plays and just tweak them slightly and find success.

So basically we could run the same 8 plays in a game and tweak the WR patterns slightly to find holes in the opponents defense. This isn't rocket science, and any decent WR can make these adjustments. I'd like to see us do more of that as we progress this season under AVP.

This analysis of the specifics is helpful and thanks, but it does immediately raise the question of what this means in regard to the ultimate stat of points produced and points allowed.

Yes, it is clear that when one looks at the little picture of individual productivity, their WRs got twin double digit production in catches and our incredibly talented WRs got 2 and 3 catches respectively.

However, until the final 5 minutes of the game we were two scores ahead and their WR productivity in yards did not mean productivity in points and the Bills difficulties in WR productivity still saw then with a two score lead thanks in large part due to the offensive productivity of Schobel after a turnover.

I think that the playcalling the Bills use seems much improved under AVP compared to under Turk (it may be that the BeliD directly took our WRs on which is what reduced their catches and gave us openings for screens, a couple of nice QB scrambles and the TD to the TE Nelson). Perhaps the actual route running taught will change as well with the use of better slants and some pick plays to get separation.

Likewise, their O getting a lot of WR production is fine with me if it results in a 2 score lead for us with 5 minutes left. Ironically, though their WRs were a key to their winning drives in terms of advancing the ball (with a couple of charitable spots of the ball for 1st downs as well, but this is merely whining as these spots did not make the difference in these drives), the irony is that both TDs came from us playing their WRs so tightly we left the TE open up the middle as the coverage of the MLB deep up the middle is critical in the Tampa 2 we run and the safeties were too WR focused to get over to the middle in time to help an overmatched Buggs who was in at MLB.

I want to see some improvement and adjustments to the WR patterns, but still I would prefer we take what they give us if they are leaving the RB in a position to get over 125 yards in combined yardage if the result is going to be a 2 score lead because our bend but do not break D is holding a team like the Pats down at their house.

I didn't watch the vid but I know what you are saying. It's not that hard to spring a guy loose if you design a play for that purpose and the QB knows to throw it to him ahead of time without going through "reads". I hope you're right and Alex studies this and puts some of these into practice. The pick play to TO would be awesome and gain us a lot of yards.

Guaranteed the zebras would of called a penalty if we tried it. That pick play was so f*cking obvious the refs could of called that from the parking lot. The golden boy & belicheat have been running that for years & never seem to get flagged for it. Every other team gets flagged for it though.

Guaranteed the zebras would of called a penalty if we tried it. That pick play was so f*cking obvious the refs could of called that from the parking lot. The golden boy & belicheat have been running that for years & never seem to get flagged for it. Every other team gets flagged for it though.

Similarly, Demetrius Bell said that the referees didn't warn him first about being off of the line of scrimmage before throwing the flag. Officials are required to do this before calling ticky tack penalties that kill drives. Those really made me mad. Something that would NEVER get called in our favor.

But once again, Jauron stood there without screaming at the referees. If you get in the referees face about it, they won't call it again. But he's a push over.

It is easy - you are way over-analyzing this thing. All we have to do is convince teams to switch out of their man to man coverage and play a soft 2 deep zone, and bingo. We will have the same results.

This analysis of the specifics is helpful and thanks, but it does immediately raise the question of what this means in regard to the ultimate stat of points produced and points allowed.

Yes, it is clear that when one looks at the little picture of individual productivity, their WRs got twin double digit production in catches and our incredibly talented WRs got 2 and 3 catches respectively.

However, until the final 5 minutes of the game we were two scores ahead and their WR productivity in yards did not mean productivity in points and the Bills difficulties in WR productivity still saw then with a two score lead thanks in large part due to the offensive productivity of Schobel after a turnover.

I think that the playcalling the Bills use seems much improved under AVP compared to under Turk (it may be that the BeliD directly took our WRs on which is what reduced their catches and gave us openings for screens, a couple of nice QB scrambles and the TD to the TE Nelson). Perhaps the actual route running taught will change as well with the use of better slants and some pick plays to get separation.

Likewise, their O getting a lot of WR production is fine with me if it results in a 2 score lead for us with 5 minutes left. Ironically, though their WRs were a key to their winning drives in terms of advancing the ball (with a couple of charitable spots of the ball for 1st downs as well, but this is merely whining as these spots did not make the difference in these drives), the irony is that both TDs came from us playing their WRs so tightly we left the TE open up the middle as the coverage of the MLB deep up the middle is critical in the Tampa 2 we run and the safeties were too WR focused to get over to the middle in time to help an overmatched Buggs who was in at MLB.

I want to see some improvement and adjustments to the WR patterns, but still I would prefer we take what they give us if they are leaving the RB in a position to get over 125 yards in combined yardage if the result is going to be a 2 score lead because our bend but do not break D is holding a team like the Pats down at their house.

Holy effing crap. Someone who understand the dynamics of the game. Well stated.

"....and we didn't adjust."

That says it all right there. And the blame for that falls squarely on the shoulders of one Perry Fewell, who couldn't adjust his belt.

DrFishfinder, how do you propose that we should have adjusted? The options are relatively limited here. We can either a) play tighter zone coverage and/or switch to man to man, opening up the down field passes that we all know Brady and Moss are going to complete, leading to much quicker scoring by a Pats offense that is trying to come from behind, or b) play soft and make them burn precious minutes off the clock passing for 3-7 yards throughout the drive while slowly by comparison moving down the field.

I'm not sure what makes you think that there is some magical defensive adjustment that can be made to stop Tom Brady. I thought we have all seen enough of the MTHERFING MAN torching the league for the past decade to realize how unfeasible that sounds.

To quote Bill Belichik himself (I hate him but he's an intelligent coach), he said that you can take the same small set of plays and just tweak them slightly and find success.

So basically we could run the same 8 plays in a game and tweak the WR patterns slightly to find holes in the opponents defense. This isn't rocket science, and any decent WR can make these adjustments. I'd like to see us do more of that as we progress this season under AVP.

It is what allot of the good teams do, run small set of plays that are designed well with adjustments built in to them. The one thing gain by slimming the play book, is ability to improve the execution of the plays that are run, and add options routes, or variation to them to keep them fresh from game to game, and play to play eventually.

They also are usually real good at not tipping what play is about to be run, like seemed to be happening when Bills audibled to runs against the Pats.