Jenkins is back- Stupar to PS

Dan III

I would imagine there were several factors behind this move. Fine may be healthier, but also, not only did our ST suck all game all over the field (enter Jenkins) but Shawn Nelson had a darn good game blocking (exit need for second TE Stupar) in his first game under difficult circumstances, not to mention the spectacular TD.

Last week's roster moves look kind of odd in retrospect, in light of the fact that Stupar was active for the Patriots game but didn't play at all (not even on ST), and Steve Johnson was inactive for the game. I had assumed that both Stupar and Johnson would play on ST and maybe a few plays on offense.

I guess the previous comments about Nelson's solid play might explain Stupar sitting the bench the whole night... but why keep Steve Johnson inactive? Hmmm.

I'm pretty sure there is a limit of how many games a player can have under his belt when being sent to the PS, but I'm not sure what the limit is. Stupar had also been active for a few games last year, I believe.

It's numerous, like eight or nine or something like that. Stupar was active for a couple games but I don't think he is close to the limit. They do, however, literally have to cut him again, make him a free agent, and hope no one picks him up before re-signing him to the PS.

According to league policy, only certain types of players are allowed to sign to the practice squad:

• Players cannot have played (active) more than nine regular season games
  • Players cannot been on the active roster for an entire year
  • Players cannot be allowed to spend more than two seasons on the same team's squad unless that team's active roster never dips below 53 players.

Article XXXIV, Practice Squads, Section 4, Eligibility.

I'd copy and past text but they made it a PDF image now :thumbsup:

Last week's roster moves look kind of odd in retrospect, in light of the fact that Stupar was active for the Patriots game but didn't play at all (not even on ST), and Steve Johnson was inactive for the game. I had assumed that both Stupar and Johnson would play on ST and maybe a few plays on offense.

I guess the previous comments about Nelson's solid play might explain Stupar sitting the bench the whole night... but why keep Steve Johnson inactive? Hmmm.

Why waste another spot on another deep threat.

Why waste another spot on another deep threat.

Maybe because it would have been nearly impossible for the Patriots to handle three legitimate deep threats at once. Send Evans, Owens, and Johnson all deep (with one of them on a double-move), and let NE pick their poison coverage-wise. Parrish and Reed don't present that kind of triple-deep matchup challenge alongside Evans and Owens.

Wishful thinking, I guess.