I was wrong about Jauron telling McKelvin to bring it out

Simon

If McKelvin had been instructed to bring it out regardless, he would not have cared where the goalline was. But his hesitation shows that he was not instructed on what to do. Which means that Jauron is an idiot and Leodis made the proper decision w/ no help from his coach.

Shouldn't April have told him what to do? He is the Special Teams Coordinator after all.

And I had no problem with him bringing it out of the endzone. It was the fighting for extra yards which led to him getting stripped that was stupid.

Shouldn't April have told him what to do? He is the Special Teams Coordinator after all.

And I had no problem with him bringing it out of the endzone. It was the fighting for extra yards which led to him getting stripped that was stupid.

I was there. Besides the crowds that already left; downing the ball would have dulled the crowd even more! :thumbsup:

Jauron should have told April, but he rarely communicates with his coaches. I imagine April wouldn't have been overstepping his authority to give that instruction w/o Jauron's say-so as it's obviously the right call. Of course in the 1-10000 chance he fumbles ( :thumbsup: ) April's keister is hanging in the breeze.

If McKelvin had been instructed to bring it out regardless, he would not have cared where the goalline was. But his hesitation shows that he was not instructed on what to do. Which means that Jauron is an idiot and Leodis made the proper decision w/ no help from his coach.

Hey Simon, quick question on this...did you stop and consider the hesitation may have came from Leodis not being sure where he caught the ball? I mean he literally is falling into the endzone as he makes the catch. Sure, the rest of us looking down on him can see he is safe for a touchback, but Leodis is looking up becuase he is literally catching the ball as his momentum is carrying him into the endzone and its literally impossible for him to know for sure if he can legally down it for a touchback. He was just over the line and doesnt know if he made the catch just outside the endzone or not.

So it looked to me that he had to make a quick decision on what to do, so he took it out to be safe but then his instincts took over as he fought for yards which is what his true mistake was.

Jauron should have told April, but he rarely communicates with his coaches. I imagine April wouldn't have been overstepping his authority to give that instruction w/o Jauron's say-so as it's obviously the right call. Of course in the 1-10000 chance he fumbles ( :thumbsup: ) April's keister is hanging in the breeze.

The fumble is one no one other than a) McKelvin :devil: and b) the guy who decided to put him back there to return it, considering he fumbled earlier in the game. <_<

Hey Simon, quick question on this...did you stop and consider the hesitation may have came from Leodis not being sure where he caught the ball? I mean he literally is falling into the endzone as he makes the catch. Sure, the rest of us looking down on him can see he is safe for a touchback, but Leodis is looking up becuase he is literally catching the ball as his momentum is carrying him into the endzone and its literally impossible for him to know for sure if he can legally down it for a touchback. He was just over the line and doesnt know if he made the catch just outside the endzone or not.

So it looked to me that he had to make a quick decision on what to do, so he took it out to be safe but then his instincts took over as he fought for yards which is what his true mistake was.

That's exactly what I'm saying. The fact that he had to check the goalline shows he had an option of what to do with the ball. Had he simply been properly instructed to bring it out at 2:06 and prevent a 4th NE timeout, he wouldn't have cared less where the goalline was. He'd have just fielded it and looked for 6 seconds worth of open space.

Running it out was the right decision, costs a full timeout for NE as we are trying to run out the clock, and gets us an extra 10 yards field position in the event we can't run out the clock.

Fumbling it and trying for extra yardage instead of going down and protecting it was a bad play / decision.

Now that we are all in agreement on these very obvious things, let's start to get ready for week 2.

That's exactly what I'm saying. The fact that he had to check the goalline shows he had an option of what to do with the ball. Had he simply been properly instructed to bring it out at 2:06 and prevent a 4th NE timeout, he wouldn't have cared less where the goalline was. He'd have just fielded it and looked for 6 seconds worth of open space.

Exactly, if you are going for sure, you don't need to know where you are on the field.

Ah, gotcha...I see where you were going with that. Makes sense.

Sounds like same Mularkey we heard regarding Titans game where Bruce DeHaven got roasted by fans when players were schooled repeated to stay in lanes. Like in politics people blame whomever they previously rant against no matter what happens.

To me it reminds me of Nate's bone headed play when all he needed to do for win was knock down ball and he went for self glory. It is all on Leodis McKelvin.

After the first fumble I was telling my TV to put Roscoe back there for the last one. Unfortunately Bobby was not listening. That said, he did the right thing by running it out. The only problem was he fumbled.

I haven't seen this brought up anywhere yet, but could we blame Dick for this for not letting him run a couple back in pre season to remember what it was like and get back in practice for running these things back for real? Before last night he hadn't run one back in live action in 8 months. Yeah, I can blame Dick and will. It was Dick's fault.