Bill Belichick

Tipster19

I know that this is the guy that we all love to hate but here's a couple of links that reveals some of his insights, especially about QBs (second link). When I say this it's not about trying to start a great debate but cheating aside I still think that he is one of the greatest coaching minds in the game today. I'm providing this to not only understand more about Belichick but also expand my knowledge of the history of the game and the great minds of the forefathers that helped make this league and game what it is today. Furthermore I do believe that if Belichick didn't cheat/push the boundaries he still would have achieved comparable success. This guy has done nothing but lived football his whole life. I'm not a fan of his but I can give him the credit that he has earned without being biased.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview09/co...&id=4443119

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...cks-backup-plan

I know that this is the guy that we all love to hate but here's a couple of links that reveals some of his insights, especially about QBs (second link). When I say this it's not about trying to start a great debate but cheating aside I still think that he is one of the greatest coaching minds in the game today. I'm providing this to not only understand more about Belichick but also expand my knowledge of the history of the game and the great minds of the forefathers that helped make this league and game what it is today. Furthermore I do believe that if Belichick didn't cheat/push the boundaries he still would have achieved comparable success. This guy has done nothing but lived football his whole life. I'm not a fan of his but I can give him the credit that he has earned without being biased.

One of the greatest coaches in NFL history. Sure. But how many rings does he earn without Brady throwing the ball? I say none.

One of the greatest coaches in NFL history. Sure. But how many rings does he earn without Brady throwing the ball? I say none.

Brady wasn't an accident, if you haven't already read the second link I posted then it's worth reading, it explains Belichick's thinking on what he looks for in the back-up QBs. If it wasn't Brady then I'm confident that Belichick would still of had a competent QB. Btw, he didn't draft Bledsoe, Parcells did.

Good links -- I liked the 1st one about Shipp in particular. Love him or hate him, the guy is hands-down the best coach in the NFL today. The Bills coaching staff needs to really study this guy. I mean seriously STUDY his success -- Belichick 101 -- meet 3 times per week in the offseason to study his approach to the game, study how he game plans for various opponents. The only way to beat Belichick is to truly understand how he thinks. No one has really been able to do that.

Of course, the other approach is to beat the hell out of the Patriots in a highly physical smash-mouth game. However, both a smart and physical approach would sure be nice to see.

I heard just a few days ago on Sirius radio (Pat Kirwan I think) tell a story about Belichick and his father Steve would have a deal about not spending more than $.50 on any book that was about football. I don't remember if he said that it was when they went to gararage or rummage sales or if it was just at a bookstore but that they really got off challenging each other and that Belichick actually used a few plays from these little dime football novels. Keep in mind that belichick's father Steve wrote a book about scouting. It's called "Football Scouting Methods" and it's out of print but if you ever run across a copy of it at a garage sale or book sale, scoop it up, it's worth a large chunk of change.

Another aspect that I find interesting is about the background of Belichick's best friend and most trusted adviser Ernie Adams. Check this link out and tell me if this isn't bizarre.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr..._secret/?page=1

Ahh if I had a nickel for every BB would be no good without Brady/Brady would be no good without BB post.

Then let's not make it that kind of post. The guy has been nothing but football his whole life and I think that's kind of interesting. I'd like to have a coach like that on our staff.

11-5 with Cassell. enough said! we could only dream of that.

Brady wasn't an accident, if you haven't already read the second link I posted then it's worth reading, it explains Belichick's thinking on what he looks for in the back-up QBs. If it wasn't Brady then I'm confident that Belichick would still of had a competent QB. Btw, he didn't draft Bledsoe, Parcells did.

How does the second link explain anything? He's looking for a guy who he thinks can win. Isn't that pretty normal?

Then let's not make it that kind of post. The guy has been nothing but football his whole life and I think that's kind of interesting. I'd like to have a coach like that on our staff.

We have a guy who played and coached his whole life.

I agree...they are both excellent articles. And, Belichick does deserve his credit...but he is still a Dick (not Jauron) and I hate him.

My point exactly. I would love it if people in other NFL city's spent time debating why the Bills are so successful-coach or QB? Or even call them cheaters. That implies winners.

How does the second link explain anything? He's looking for a guy who he thinks can win. Isn't that pretty normal?

It's the way he approaches it. When the Patriots got Matt Gutierrez, he was supposed to be the heir apparent to Brady at Michigan, and then Kevin O'Connell, I thought that they were going to be all set with their QBs but apparently Belichick's intuition led him to believe otherwise. He seems to know what he wants and what he's looking for in a QB. On the other hand Matt Cassell turned to be pretty effective for the Patriots. In comparison we tried to take a QB (Losman) in the 1st rd and failed miserably. As of now I don't think that anyone can state conclusively that Edwards is the long term answer for us. There's got to be some kind of lesson in there somehow.

We have a guy who played and coached his whole life.

Well, you got me on that one.

You're wrong about one thing. He isn't "one of the greatest coaching minds in the game today", he IS the greatest coaching mind...by leaps and bounds, I'd say.

It's the way he approaches it. When the Patriots got Matt Gutierrez, he was supposed to be the heir apparent to Brady at Michigan, and then Kevin O'Connell, I thought that they were going to be all set with their QBs but apparently Belichick's intuition led him to believe otherwise. He seems to know what he wants and what he's looking for in a QB. On the other hand Matt Cassell turned to be pretty effective for the Patriots. In comparison we tried to take a QB (Losman) in the 1st rd and failed miserably. As of now I don't think that anyone can state conclusively that Edwards is the long term answer for us. There's got to be some kind of lesson in there somehow.

Well, you got me on that one.

I agree that Belichick is good at finding QB's that work for him, but the article offers no insight into how.

Guest dog14787
You're wrong about one thing. He isn't "one of the greatest coaching minds in the game today", he IS the greatest coaching mind...by leaps and bounds, I'd say.

I'm not sure about leaps and bounds, Jeff Fischer is a real good strategist and coach in my opinion. Judging talent is huge though, no doubt about it and a big reason why the big tuna is so successful.

What coach wins regularly without great players? Ridiculous point. Dude went 11-5 last season with a guy who hadn't started a game since High School and there wasn't a single playoff team that wasn't praying that New England wouldn't make the playoffs.

cheating aside

I think the point proven quite clearly by your post is that an intelligent assessment of what makes a man one of the greatest coaches in NFL history cannot simply discount character.

Think about it.

BB seems quite clearly from the case embodied in the links you kindly provide to be one of the and perhaps the best football mind to ever HC a team.

Yet, in the face of that which I think one can take as a fact:

1. His Pats teams definitely are a playoff team and a serious contender for theSB each year, but despite this greatness are nowhere near a sure thing to win it all. If anyone wants to claim that being the best football mind ever is a guarantee of perfection or of winning it all merely look back to the 2007 season where the "perfect" team with the "perfect" coach proved to not able to achieve a perfect result. This irony certainly allowed me to smile a bit in the face of any claim of drop dead certainty with any prediction on TSW!

2. To claim greatness for BB one can do so only if you state as a given laying aside a little thing called character. Even if one flat out assumes he is the greatest football mind to HC a team, the realities are:

A. The "great" football mind was merely inadequate in his first extended HC gig at Cleveland where in 5 years he produced Mr. Ralph like results on his watch. There likely is no greater proof that having a great football mind is not the everything or the only thing if one's goal is MERELY to be a winner.

B. Having a "great" football mind throws in stark relief the utter timidity and silliness shown by BB who threw his lot and character in with a team when he agreed to be their HC and then showed the true quality of his character by quickly doing a 180 on his commitment and jumping ship (likely for a higher dollar amount that would come with a Bob Kraft gig.

C. The Belicheat designation is brought into even sharper focus when BB himself demonstrated his own self-doubt and feebleness when simply being the greatest football mind to HC ever was not good enough and he had to flat-out break the rules by using film to get an advantage illegally.

For all it works, your links and Belicheats history are a pretty clear demonstration to me that there is a bit more (a little thing called character) to being the best football mind to HC in NFL history.

Belicheat clearly has the best mind of anybody to ever be named HC, but given his lack of a good heart his is merely a suit I am glad is not the Bills HC. I even prefer having DJ to him and if one gave me a choice between the pain of watching this Mr. Ralph hired coach lead my team to mediocrity or having Belicheat lead my teams to wins (and the hysterical defeat season before last to NYG, I pretty clearly would take the losing agony to the winning glory every day of the week.

I guess that makes me a loser, but I do sleep well at night which is PRICELESS as they say.

The Bellicheat ball washing on this board makes me sick!!

Off the top of my head I can name several coaches in the NFL today who are better coaches and better men than that cheating hoodie-wearing jacka$$. Most of you closet Pats* fans will disagree.

Mike Tomlin - Won it all last year and might just do it again this year

Ken Wisenhunt - Does anyone beileve that the Cards would have been in the Super Bowl under anyone else?

Jeff Fisher - Hasn't won it all but...

Tom Coughlin - Beat Bellicheat head to head in the game that was supposed to be proof that the Pats* were the best ever.

And those are just the active coaches. If you add history to the list are any of you big enough Bellicheat Ball Washers to suggest that he's better than Lombardi, Noll, Walsh, Knox, Levy, or even Saban?