Collinsworth

Cookiemonster

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Collinsworth is amongst the best in the business right now... so he talked about the Steelers too much? Should he have spent the whole game talking about how great the Bills are? WTF is he supposed to talk about?

Um, the game itself would be a nice start. Like I said earlier, just the facts mam. Spare us the

ad libs about who you would like to blow next.

personally I cannot stand Al Michaels. no one sucks celebrity c@ck the way he does. loves to call roethlisberger BEN as if they just had tea and crumpets together. he is the barbara walters of sports announcers. a total puke.

I don't know man who wants to say roethlisberger 60 times a game. I think i'd say ben too

Collinsworth is terrific. He knows as much about the game as any color guy I've ever heard, and he consistently points out the little things that most of us don't know or haven't paid attention to. Let me give two specific examples from last night's game:

1) The play in which a Steelers DB hit Justin Gage in the end zone after he dropped the ball. All 3 of us watching the game immediately cried for a Personal Foul Penalty for hitting a defenseless receiver. Almost simultaneously, Collinsworth chimed in (unsolicited) that such a rule applies only to blows to the head.

2) The Pittsburgh false start penalty at the end of the first half. Again, our household immediately wondered why no 10-second runoff or use of a timeout was implemented, when Collinsworth again informed the viewers that because the penalty did not stop the clock, such an enforcement was not required.

I realize that sometimes he can be a bit over the top with his adulation/criticism, but as far as informing viewers of the nuances of the game, he's top notch.

My top 5's

Play by Play:

1. Dick Enberg

2. Mike Tirico

3. Al Michaels

4. Gus Johnson

5. Ian Eagle...maybe cuz he's always doing the Bills games

Colour:

1. Steve Tasker

2. Ron Jaworski

3. Cris Collinsworth

4. Troy Aikman

5. Dan Dierdorf

I love Tasker as a player, but he's horrendous in the booth.

Collinsworth is terrific. He knows as much about the game as any color guy I've ever heard, and he consistently points out the little things that most of us don't know or haven't paid attention to. Let me give two specific examples from last night's game:

1) The play in which a Steelers DB hit Justin Gage in the end zone after he dropped the ball. All 3 of us watching the game immediately cried for a Personal Foul Penalty for hitting a defenseless receiver. Almost simultaneously, Collinsworth chimed in (unsolicited) that such a rule applies only to blows to the head.

2) The Pittsburgh false start penalty at the end of the first half. Again, our household immediately wondered why no 10-second runoff or use of a timeout was implemented, when Collinsworth again informed the viewers that because the penalty did not stop the clock, such an enforcement was not required.

I realize that sometimes he can be a bit over the top with his adulation/criticism, but as far as informing viewers of the nuances of the game, he's top notch.

Except that this is false. The rule applies to any hits to defenseless receivers not just blows to the head. The rule, as explained by Jerry Markbreit (former NFL official) is as follows:

"All players in virtually defenseless postures are protected from unnecessary hits by the defense, which include helmet-to-helmet contact, helmet-to-body contact, and blows to the head. Intended receivers of forward passes who fail to catch the pass are considered to be in a defenseless position immediately after the pass is missed. If the pass is caught, all of these restrictions are off, unless in the opinion of the covering official, something unsportsmanlike occurs."

Except that this is false. The rule was changed after last season to apply to any hits to defenseless receivers not just helmet to helmet contact. The rule, as explained by Jerry Markbreit (former NFL official) is as follows:

"All players in virtually defenseless postures are protected from unnecessary hits by the defense, which include helmet-to-helmet contact, helmet-to-body contact, and blows to the head. Intended receivers of forward passes who fail to catch the pass are considered to be in a defenseless position immediately after the pass is missed. If the pass is caught, all of these restrictions are off, unless in the opinion of the covering official, something unsportsmanlike occurs."

Perhaps I misquoted Collinsworth. My point is that Collinsworth was right on top of the fact that the rule did not apply, as the hit in question was clearly a body-to-body contact, which--if Markbreit's description is to be followed verbatum--is perfectly legal.

Perhaps I misquoted Collinsworth. My point is that Collinsworth was right on top of the fact that the rule did not apply, as the hit in question was clearly a body-to-body contact, which--if Markbreit's description is to be followed verbatum--is perfectly legal.

Stop making excuses for this tool, he was wrong, and thats that.

Except that he wasn't wrong--the rule didn't apply, the symantics of it notwithstanding. That's the point.

He's also forgotten more about the game than guys like you and me will ever know.

That's a good point, and I am really thankful for that as well, lest we might have to hear about

all the stuff he has forgotten as well.

If memory serves me right, and I am old enough to remember his playing days, he was nothing

special as a player, what makes you think that being a sub-par player translates into a marvelous announcer?

Just another ex-jock taking a real journalists job.

Here you go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cris_Collinsworth

His ring is in the same place as Andre Reed's is, if you want a sorry answer to your chintzy shot at Collinsworth.

Wow, now that is impressive, I didn't notice the part about him earning a Journalism Degree.

I really am not trying to say that, because he was not a great player, he can't be a great announcer.

But if you look at most of the ex-jocks that are now announcers, almost all of them would be considered

great or boderline great, Collinsworth wasn't. That seems to be the prerequisite to broadcating these days, not my standard, it is what the media imposes on us, like it or not. So why is he so knowledgable about football? I don't

remember him coaching any. Where did he accumulate all of this knowledge that you speak of. I mean the guy

probably has wonderful perspective on the WR postion, but I don't particularly find him insightful on any position,

just a lot of garble and drizzle. Sorry for hitting a nerve about the ring thing, if he would have just held on to the

football, he might have one.

That's a good point, and I am really thankful for that as well, lest we might have to hear about

all the stuff he has forgotten as well.

If memory serves me right, and I am old enough to remember his playing days, he was nothing

special as a player, what makes you think that being a sub-par player translates into a marvelous announcer?

Just another ex-jock taking a real journalists job.

He is only the best receiver to ever play for the Bungles.