Collinsworth

Cookiemonster

Gus tries too hard. The enthusiasm is so over the top it's annoying (at least to me). I don't need a guy screaming in the booth to get me excited about a big play (or shot).

But then again, I liked Dennis Miller on MNF. So I'm probably a different type of fan.

Dennis Miller definitely had his moments. He was like the funny side of John Madden without the football savvy.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way overrated. His description of plays are rambling dissertations. Plus his star-humping penchant for delivering standing bjs to celebrity and jock alike is pathetic. Peaked at Lake Placid.

He definitely talks too much. He should study some film of Pat Summerall- the greatest football play by play man of all time.

I love Collinsworth, he is the best in the business. With that said, I don't think he and Al Michaels have very good chemistry.

Good point, I noticed it too. I think Michaels misses Madden and rightfully so. They were a little closer in age and they seemed like old friends.

But Collinsworth was good last night he had his moments.

I always liked Marv Albert. I listened to him on the radio for a while in the car. Tirico is not too bad.

What do people think of "Chucky" Gruden?

When Marv is doing basketball, he is the best. He doesn't quite seem to have the same level of insight or timing during football telecasts.

Gruden has a long way to go, but he has potential to be interesting.

I think Jaws is the best color man in the league...my opinion though..

And about Hines Ward....what a complete receiver. Great hands, great attitude and holy spit what a blocker! Did you see him just STICK the safety coming in on that one play at the line of scrimmage....? Wow...just wow.

I think that Jaws is the best analyst in the league. He seems to have some trouble working without a script though. He's also too serious. It's a game out there!

Seriously?

Big Ben & Palamalu are the two best players on a team that won two SuperBowls in recent years. Big Ben threw for over 360 yards and singlehandedly won that game for them. Palamalu was a beast before he got hurt and made a sick one handed interception.

Kind of hard not to gush about those guys as an announcer.

Not to fret, there will be more, I am certain, gushing to come. The season has just started.

He definitely talks too much. He should study some film of Pat Summerall- the greatest football play by play man of all time.

What happened to word economy? PBP guys are supposed to describe the landscape. Somewhere over the last 25 years, the PBP guy has become more chatty and inanely intrusive into the color realm. In a visual medium, I don't need a over-description of the obvious, just the standard game narrative with a bit of clarification at key junctures.

Don't get me started on the fools employed on the color. It almost makes me pine for Todd Christensen. Almost.

I think that Jaws is the best analyst in the league. He seems to have some trouble working without a script though. He's also too serious. It's a game out there!

He has insight, for sure. But he impresses me as more or less as an infant suffering from chronic diaper rash, lashing out in acid tones against anyone that questions his pronouncements.

I'd cringe at working with him - I guess I'd hire him to mow my lawn, but that's as close as I'd care to be around him. I think he and Bob Trumpy are soul mates... ;)

My top 5's

Play by Play:

1. Dick Enberg

2. Mike Tirico

3. Al Michaels

4. Gus Johnson

5. Ian Eagle...maybe cuz he's always doing the Bills games

Colour:

1. Steve Tasker

2. Ron Jaworski

3. Cris Collinsworth

4. Troy Aikman

5. Dan Dierdorf

I think Joe Buck should be added to the list.I think him and Phil Simms make a great team.

What happened to word economy? PBP guys are supposed to describe the landscape. Somewhere over the last 25 years, the PBP guy has become more chatty and inanely intrusive into the color realm. In a visual medium, I don't need a over-description of the obvious, just the standard game narrative with a bit of clarification at key junctures.

Don't get me started on the fools employed on the color. It almost makes me pine for Todd Christensen. Almost.

Good Post, this is exactly what I am taliking about, colour the game, fill in the background,

sprinkle in a factual tid-bit here or there, but please do not continuosly shove your biased

opinions regarding the performance, past or present, of teams or individuals down our throat.

We can see the game fine, we know who is performing, and who isn't, let us form our own

opinions on performance. Staements like "is it possible to vote someone to the pro bowl after

one quarter of play", are ridiculous and bordering on Dierdorfisms.

Joe Buck is an abortion. Talks incessantly and self importantly. And, his monstrous oblong head is a troubling visual.

I count the minutes for Aikman to intercede when the tower of babble is at it.

Joe Buck has an unbelievably overinflated ego. And, he thinks he's a comedian to boot. The guy brings "smarmy" to a whole new level.

Whenever the play-by-play guy starts believing it's about him rather than the game, you have a problem.

Joe Buck is an abortion. Talks incessantly and self importantly. And, his monstrous oblong head is a troubling visual.

I count the minutes for Aikman to intercede when the tower of babble is at it.

Gotta agree with you, but they will keep shoving Joe Buck down our throats anyway.

I mean just about every big game, no matter the sport, we are subjected to this guy.

You can't get away from him. Isn't he the son of another famous announcer, Oh, that

explains the fascination. I wonder why anyone would pursue a carreer in sports journalism

these days, you got zero chance unless you are an ex-jock, or the son of another famous sports

announcer. Nepotism lives. Bob/Brian Greise, Marv Albert/His sound and look alike son, Harry Caray/

Harry Caray Jr., there are a lot others out there, just can't think of them all right now. I guess these

guys didn't make enogh money during their playing days.

I am not saying that these guys are all bad announcers, quite the contrary, many of them are quite

good, I just think that you should give others a chance as well.

I really like the way Jaws breaks down plays, he really explains things very well with different angles and zooms. I also like the tie to Buffalo.

He has insight, for sure. But he impresses me as more or less as an infant suffering from chronic diaper rash, lashing out in acid tones against anyone that questions his pronouncements.

I'd cringe at working with him - I guess I'd hire him to mow my lawn, but that's as close as I'd care to be around him. I think he and Bob Trumpy are soul mates... ;)