Can the Bills O-line be worse than the Steelers '09 version?

SteamRoller67

The Steelers offense line is average at best. They can't run the ball, can't pass protect (except against a 3 man rush) and generally had an awful night. Why the Titans only rushed 3 and dropped 8 most of the night is baffling.

Whatever Ben Roethlisberger's salary is, it's too low. If he isn't 245 pounds, he gets sacked 9 times by my count. The Titans were only credited with 4 sacks on the night. Ben Ro's ability to avoid the rush is pretty amazing for a big guy.

Yeah, Roethlisberger is underpaid. I can't remember the exact stat, but at one point last night Al Michaels said the Steelers were almost at the bottom in how many sacks they allowed last year which proves it is possible - though very rare - to be successful with a bad O-line. You just need the right quarterback...

Yeah, Roethlisberger is underpaid. I can't remember the exact stat, but at one point last night Al Michaels said the Steelers were almost at the bottom in how many sacks they allowed last year which proves it is possible - though very rare - to be successful with a bad O-line. You just need the right quarterback...

Ben works to keep plays alive 'til something develops DOWN THE FIELD. That's why he takes so many sacks. If he held onto the ball as much as he does, and when he did throw the ball threw it mainly to RBs and TEs, then I could draw a comparison to the Bills. Apples and oranges here.

IMO, it's a combination of Ben's willingness to hang on an extra second or two to let a route develope. He can do this better than most NFL QB's because he's so damn big and strong.

I also don't underestimate Tenn.'s pass rush/blitz capabilities.

Looks like the Titans need to develop depth for the interior. Those guys who gave Haynesworth a rest (Jones, Brown, et al) are now getting the majority of the reps. They wore down as the game went on, and it showed.

I also think it was Ben's ability to pump fake his way out of trouble as well. Think about it. You're taught as a D-Lineman that if you can't get to the QB, get your hands up in the passing lane. Tennessee's D-Line thought that on numerous occasions that they weren't going to be able to get to BR so they just kept putting their arms up which bought BR more time in the pocket.

Ben played alright, but it was the defense that shut down Tennessee for the most part. They were getting pressure on Collins all night long and also did well to stuff the running game.

What?

33/43 & 363 yards against a solid Titans defense is a little more than alright.

Ben single handedly saved 12-15 plays with his feet/toughness.

Ben works to keep plays alive 'til something develops DOWN THE FIELD. That's why he takes so many sacks. If he held onto the ball as much as he does, and when he did throw the ball threw it mainly to RBs and TEs, then I could draw a comparison to the Bills. Apples and oranges here.

Looks like the Titans need to develop depth for the interior. Those guys who gave Haynesworth a rest (Jones, Brown, et al) are now getting the majority of the reps. They wore down as the game went on, and it showed.

The play to the rookie WR baffles me.

How is it he was able to find a soft spot in the Tenny zone?

What was Collinsworth talking about when he repeatedly mentioned stretching zones out?

Are these things legal in the NFL? Should we convene a meeting of the competition committee?

What?

33/43 & 363 yards against a solid Titans defense is a little more than alright.

Ben single handedly saved 12-15 plays with his feet/toughness.

How many points did they score? 13? If that game was against the 07 Pats or the Colts the Steelrs would have been down 21-0 midway thru the 2nd quarter. The D held in the redzone and on top of that blocked a FG and a FG was missed. What if they played the Colts and they shutdown the Steelers running game the same as thge Titans did? Do you think there O-line could block Freeney and Mathis after falling behind? What if they played a Steelers clone D that would unleash the dogs; do you think the results would have been the same?

The Steelers O-line sucks but Big Ben gets the best out of them. But while Ben is a good QB he is not as great as some make him out to be. He wouldn't get those chances to lead his team to 4th quarter victories if the D doesn't keep the games close. Its not like he is carying the team on his back leading a high powered offense winning shootouts. Ben played an OK game; especially statwise. But he does hold onto the ball too long. Sometimes this is a good thing for at least as someone pointed out he looks to throw the ball down the field. But if the Titans hadn't gotten soft (like the Bills vs the Pats) and played a conservative, soft zone the second half without taking mixing it up and chances then this is what you get: instead of getting killed with big plays against single coverage you get torched and picked apart in zone coverage. Either way you are getting used!

IMO, it's a combination of Ben's willingness to hang on an extra second or two to let a route develope. He can do this better than most NFL QB's because he's so damn big and strong.

I also don't underestimate Tenn.'s pass rush/blitz capabilities.

I've never seen a quarterback who is so unaffected by pressure and constantly having defenders draped over him.

!@#$ the Jaguars-I hope they're happy with the way Reggie Williams panned out.

Ward has done a good job of taking Holmes under his wing and develop him (imagine that) as a complete WR. His route running looks sharp, his awareness is very good, and his blocking has been pretty good as well.

It would be nice if Owens would do the same for Lee Evans. Evans has great speed and is good on the 9 route (go route), but his route running in general is subpar and his blocking isn't anything to write home 'bout either.