NFL will allow delayed broadcasts of blacked out games

Beerball

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL is screwing this up so badly. Just broadcast the games I understand the blackout rule in normal economic conditions (The best argument I have ever heard is that it exposes bad ownership) but in a pretty bad recession you need to lift it. Teams like San Diego have good products but are still facing black outs its clearly due to economic times and not people not supporting their team in lieu of other entertainment options.

Like I said lift the rule for one maybe two seasons (Depending on how long this recession lasts but defiantly this year) and give your fans a break its not like a lot of teams lowered their prices this season. The NFL is pricing out the average fan this season and in the long term its going to hurt them (Look at the Giants/Jets they have told people that their new stadium is designed for a more corporate crowd). Just lift the rule and give your fans a break! :thumbsup:

The NFL is screwing this up so badly. Just broadcast the games I understand the blackout rule in normal economic conditions (The best argument I have ever heard is that it exposes bad ownership) but in a pretty bad recession you need to lift it. Teams like San Diego have good products but are still facing black outs its clearly due to economic times and not people not supporting their team in lieu of other entertainment options.

Like I said lift the rule for one maybe two seasons (Depending on how long this recession lasts but defiantly this year) and give your fans a break its not like a lot of teams lowered their prices this season. The NFL is pricing out the average fan this season and in the long term its going to hurt them (Look at the Giants/Jets they have told people that their new stadium is designed for a more corporate crowd). Just lift the rule and give your fans a break! :thumbsup:

Sorry, but I disagree. Teams like Jacksonville, San Diego and Arizona have trouble filling their stadiums but Buffalo sells out. That tells me that football isn't as important to folks in those cities.

Sorry, but I disagree. Teams like Jacksonville, San Diego and Arizona have trouble filling their stadiums but Buffalo sells out. That tells me that football isn't as important to folks in those cities.

And it has never been important to LA so the Bills won't be going there.

Anytime someone makes the above argument, it needs to be accompanied by the fact that the Bills have the lowest average ticket price in the NFL.

Sorry to burst the bubble but full disclosure equals truth.

Anytime someone makes the above argument, it needs to be accompanied by the fact that the Bills have the lowest average ticket price in the NFL.

Please, this argument is null and void. The ticket prices are on average lower than major markets, however if you review overall capacity and ticket prices the Bills stack right up there with 50% of the league. Your bubble is false. The Bills will always sell well compared to these new markets, and I can guarantee that the economy is improving, and people are willing to spend more for the Bills. Its a great football market period. The NFL knows it, and its time that everyone else knows it.

Enough with this bullcrap lie. Ralph is being kind to the fans right now, similar to the Knox's. There is something about Buffalo, that everyone is jealous about.

Teams like Jacksonville, San Diego and Arizona have trouble filling their stadiums but Buffalo sells out. That tells me that football isn't as important to folks in those cities.

Please, this argument is null and void. The ticket prices are on average lower than major markets, however if you review overall capacity and ticket prices the Bills stack right up there with 50% of the league. Your bubble is false. The Bills will always sell well compared to these new markets, and I can guarantee that the economy is improving, and people are willing to spend more for the Bills. Its a great football market period. The NFL knows it, and its time that everyone else knows it.

Enough with this bullcrap lie. Ralph is being kind to the fans right now, similar to the Knox's. There is something about Buffalo, that everyone is jealous about.

Sanners, please child. I stated not as an argument, but as a factually true point: The Bills have the lowest average ticket price in the NFL. Again, it's a true fact. This story was published 22 hours ago. But it doesn't matter. The Bills have had the lowest average ticket price for many years, not just recently.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/th...allas-cowboys/1

"The biggest bargains in the NFL can be found in Buffalo, where tickets average $51 and the FCI (fan cost index) is $304, and in Jacksonville, $57 and $310."

Look. Maybe you're indignant about someone who states a true fact which might impune the loyalty of Bills fans. I've stated on this board many times (and recently) that the Bills fans are the best in the NFL. I lived in Buffalo for 35 years and used to have seasons. I have followed this team since 1968. So save your indignation and defensiveness for something else.

I am not anti-Buffalo, nor am I jealous about anything. I didn't say Buffalo wasn't a great market because as I've stated before, it is a great market.

But the Bills have the lowest average ticket price in the NFL and that is a huge help in selling tickets. Your credibility would be enhanced if you didn't argue this point.

Exactly. Ralph is a good business man and responsible. Kinda like the housing bubble. The people that bit off too much than they can chew are being rewarded with a bailout. The ones that are responsible are toiling in their old, smaller digs.

Exactly. Ralph is a good business man and responsible. Kinda like the housing bubble. The people that bit off too much than they can chew are being rewarded with a bailout. The ones that are responsible are toiling in their old, smaller digs.

So you're refuting the fact that the Bills have the lowest average ticket price in the NFL?

Because that simple statement is what Sanners responded to. Interesting tangent.

Sanners, please child. I stated not as an argument, but as a factually true point: The Bills have the lowest average ticket price in the NFL. Again, it's a true fact. This story was published 22 hours ago. But it doesn't matter. The Bills have had the lowest average ticket price for many years, not just recently.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/th...allas-cowboys/1

"The biggest bargains in the NFL can be found in Buffalo, where tickets average $51 and the FCI (fan cost index) is $304, and in Jacksonville, $57 and $310."

Look. Maybe you're indignant about someone who states a true fact which might impune the loyalty of Bills fans. I've stated on this board many times (and recently) that the Bills fans are the best in the NFL. I lived in Buffalo for 35 years and used to have seasons. I have followed this team since 1968. So save your indignation and defensiveness for something else.

I am not anti-Buffalo, nor am I jealous about anything. I didn't say Buffalo wasn't a great market because as I've stated before, it is a great market.

But the Bills have the lowest average ticket price in the NFL and that is a huge help in selling tickets. Your credibility would be enhanced if you didn't argue this point.

This all may be true, but one could argue that the Buffalo area is one of the poorest areas in terms of NFL cities, certainly moreso than Phoenix, San Diego, and probably even Jacksonville. So if we're including ALL aspects of ticket sales, I'd say it was still pretty even in terms of cost/poverty....

Ralph is like the owner who treats his team like a business not a toy where profits be dammed. Ralph wants to make a profit and he runs his team to do so. He also is smart and prudent with the CBA. Its not a sin in sports to make a profit just as long as you do have an interest in winning and Ralph wants to win (Ralph spends in the middle of the pack in terms of team payroll) but he needs to spend money on a coach! :rolleyes:

Owners who don't run at a profit (Not so much in the NFL but some owners in the NHL,NBA, and MLB were like that) can kill a league because they inflate the salary structure and overall kill the leagues bottom line which results in work stoppages (NHL most recently and the NFL could be next).

This all may be true, but one could argue that the Buffalo area is one of the poorest areas in terms of NFL cities, certainly moreso than Phoenix, San Diego, and probably even Jacksonville. So if we're including ALL aspects of ticket sales, I'd say it was still pretty even in terms of cost/poverty....

Yes, the Bills ticket prices are very well-suited to the market in which the team plays. That was basically my point.

My point also is this: Bills tickets are on average $51. The average NFL ticket price is now $75. What would happen to ticket sales here if the price was $75? Or even worse, how many tickets would be sold here if the average price was over $150 like it is in the top NFL markets?

A big part of the reason we do a good job of selling our tickets is because we have rock bottom ticket prices. Is this really an arguable point?

Jacksonville is a horrible market...I think that we can all agree on that also.

Yes, the Bills ticket prices are very well-suited to the market in which the team plays. That was basically my point.

My point also is this: Bills tickets are on average $51. The average NFL ticket price is now $75. What would happen to ticket sales here if the price was $75? Or even worse, how many tickets would be sold here if the average price was over $150 like it is in the top NFL markets?

A big part of the reason we do a good job of selling our tickets is because we have rock bottom ticket prices. Is this really an arguable point?

No, not really.

The flip side to this, though, would be, "why doesn't a Jags team who has resorted to "tarping" seats lower their prices to accomodate their fans?? Especially if they're crying recession...

Damn you ninja edit!!!!!

Teams like San Diego have good products but are still facing black outs its clearly due to economic times and not people not supporting their team in lieu of other entertainment options.

Well San Diego always has Simon & Simon as a back up if they can't watch their NFL team.

Sorry to burst back. Is there anything holding those other franchises hostage? Can they not set their ticket prices as they see fit? So the owner refuses to lower prices & the NFL is supposed to lift the blackout? Nope.

I think having a blackout punishes the true fans. True fans have been struggling to be able to afford to go to a game for quite some time. Take Buffalo for example, with one of the lowest ticket prices in the NFL at $51 a ticket. Here is the math for my family of 5:

5 tickets @ $51/ea = $255

Parking (also the lowest in the NFL by the way): $25

5 hot dogs and 5 bottles of water = $40 (guestimate)

Total: $320

And that is not including smaller incidentals like gas, tolls etc (I live in Rochester).

$320 for a Sunday afternoons entertainment is quite steep for an average person. Now throw the unstable economy into the mix and it becomes even harder. And that is in Buffalo, which is one of the CHEAPEST! It is quite amazing the Bills have sold as many tickets as they have this season already, particularly with the quality of the product provided the past 9 seasons and counting.

I read something recently that rings very true. An NFL game is a blue collar event at a white collar price. It starts with just plain stupid player salaries for a 16 game season and snowballs from there. It is not surprising to me in the least that even good teams are having problems putting butts in the seats. What is a little surprising to me is that a team like Buffalo is not.