So why would you want this trend to go on?

blzrul

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
Perhaps if you could offer specifically what the shortcomings of the current administration are that have led to this trend, and/or what the Kerry/Edwards administration would do to reverse it, there could be some intellectual discussion.  The fact that LGB is in this so early is not promising, that's generally death bells for anything intellectual on this board.

I thought it was interesting to hear what the Democrat mayor of Youngstown, OH -- who has endorsed Bush -- had to say about the economy in his rust belt town.  He said that people mostly blame NAFTA for their loss of jobs and recognize that it went into effect under Clinton.  The 9/11 tragedy had a significant effect on the economy that the Dems don't want to admit.  Bush's economic policy is taking hold and because of it they have "turned the corner" in Youngstown.  No matter how much the host tried to spin things on him in favor of the Dems, he had a deep conviction that Bush had things on track as far as his town was concerned.  He also commented that under Carter their unemployment rate hit 30% and now they are at 10% under Bush, so things are looking up relatively speaking.

8515[/snapback]

30% under Carter? Did that have anything to do with Carter's economic policies, or the sharp decline of U.S. steel in the late 1970's?

Ohhh, it must have been CARTER'S fault that big steel went the way of the telegraph... of COURSE! He signed that NAFTA agreement.. YEAH! I remember!!

Roosevelt must have gotten a LOT of flack for letting the unemployment of cobblers and blacksmiths all ove the country run rampant thanks to the dissapearance of the horse and buggy! THAT'S why he lost the election to Wilson!

:D:P:lol::lol::lol::lol::):(:D

30% under Carter? Did that have anything to do with Carter's economic policies, or the sharp decline of U.S. steel in the late 1970's?

Ohhh, it must have been CARTER'S fault that big steel went the way of the telegraph... of COURSE! He signed that NAFTA agreement.. YEAH! I remember!!

Roosevelt must have gotten a LOT of flack for letting the unemployment of cobblers and blacksmiths all ove the country run rampant thanks to the dissapearance of the horse and buggy! THAT'S why he lost the election to Wilson!

<_<  :o  :(  :blink:  :blink:  :huh:  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:

8622[/snapback]

But of course, you are right.

And this is why it is equally ridiculous to hold any President accountable for an economic downturn that was precipitated by one of the biggest boom bubble economies in history.

I think the mayor's perspective was that you can't can't look at the national economic indicators and assume they fit all areas of the country. As much as the libs complain about a jobless recovery -- in the case of Youngstown they are experiencing something different.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
But of course, you are right.

And this is why it is equally ridiculous to hold any President accountable for an economic downturn that was precipitated by one of the biggest boom bubble economies in history.

Did I blame Bush for that? Heck no. I never said that. Dotcoms are worthless stocks... people got burned by techs! BIG SURPRISE!! <_<

I think the mayor's perspective was that you can't can't look at the national economic indicators and assume they fit all areas of the country.  As much as the libs complain about a jobless recovery -- in the case of Youngstown they are experiencing something different.

9048[/snapback]

Well, by that article, he is saying that Youngstown is much better off now, but is it?? I don't think so... I took a drive earlier in the year through Pittsburgh and the surrounding area, as well as Youngstown/Struthers/Poland/Boardman, and it looks pretty ugly right now. It has NOTHING to do with presidential politics as the mayor suggests... he is living in a dying community, and it looks like Buffalo... you know what I mean. It's gonna take a LOT of work to get Youngstown back to standards. Heck, Pittsburgh did it, so why not Youngstown????

Did I blame Bush for that? Heck no. I never said that. Dotcoms are worthless stocks... people got burned by techs! BIG SURPRISE!!  :D

9205[/snapback]

You didn't, but that's how this thread got started.

Q: I decry poverty in America. I have arguably 4 times as much financial resource that any other Presidential candidate in history. I have access to at least 6 very posh properties in some of the most desirable locations. I will not allow any disclosure of my financial status. I rail against others for their economic privledge. I make sure my hairdresser gets flown wherever I go, so I am properly coiffed. A 3 hundred-dollar haircut means more to me than what that 3 hundred bucks would mean to an impoverished person. I arrange a photo-op at a fast-food restuarant in Wisconsin but have my real cuisine arranged beforehand. I bus people to a bbq joint in Arkansas, so I have a good show. But we don't buy a thing from the merchant. Then I leave.

Who am I?

A: ?

Q: I decry poverty in America. I have arguably 4 times as much financial resource that any other Presidential candidate in history. I have access to at least 6 very posh properties in some of the most desirable locations. I will not allow any disclosure of my financial status. I rail against others for their economic privledge. I make sure my hairdresser gets flown wherever I go, so I am properly coiffed. A 3 hundred-dollar haircut means more to me than what that 3 hundred bucks would mean to an impoverished person. I arrange a photo-op at a fast-food restuarant in Wisconsin but have my real cuisine arranged beforehand. I bus people to a bbq joint in Arkansas, so I have a good show. But we don't buy a thing from the merchant. Then I leave.

Who am I?

A:  ?

9301[/snapback]

Al Gore?

Who am I?

9301[/snapback]

You must be GWB?

Who am I?

9301[/snapback]

I'm not sure who you are, but it must be Bush's fault that you feel so conflicted and torn. What we need is the establisment of the Federal Department of Therapy, so that everyone as conflicted as yourself can get taxpayer money to find out why you hate your daddy so much...

Who am I?

A: ?

Rob Johnson?

Who am I?

9301[/snapback]

You're stuckincincy. Duh. :D

It's nice to see how much you care about the plight of your fellow Americans.  I didn't say Kerry had the answer but it's obvious Bush does not.

So I still don't see anyone justifying four more years of an economic policy that continues to plunge more Americans into financial distress.

If you actually look at the report on the Census Dept site you'll see that many of the areas were flat with the exception of CHILDREN.  The numbers of children living in poverty and without health care have been what's increased the most.

But, ho hum.  Just trot out your narrow, trite and nasty reponses.  Damn kids, that's why abortion is legal I guess.  Put 'em out of their misery.  Are there no prisons?  Are there no workhouses?

8412[/snapback]

It couldn't ahve anything to do with Americans' propensity to spend too much and save too little? NAH. There's no personal responsibility in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave, now is there, debbie?

I'm not sure who you are, but it must be Bush's fault that you feel so conflicted and torn. What we need is the establisment of the Federal Department of Therapy, so that everyone as conflicted as yourself can get taxpayer money to find out why you hate your daddy so much...

9316[/snapback]

DING DING DING!! Ring the bell, we have a winner!!