Interesting article on Belichick and offense

nodnarb

Very interesting article. Reminds me of an acronym I heard in the military...KISS (keep it simple stupid). Although our former OC would equate a simplified offensive game plan to "Pop Warner", this article demonstrates that pro teams can succeed by keeping the game plan simple, yet multi-dimensional based upon the defensive schemes presented by the opposing team.

Thanks for the post. I've often wondered if NFL coaching staffs do not overthink everything. One really interesting point was the fact that Bellicheat spends time learning from very good college coaches. Senator (if you happen to read this) ..... this is your queue .......

It really makes you wonder what Dick Jauron does in his offseason and how much input/knowledge he has on that side of the ball. Great coaches are innovative and constantly learning. I don't get the feeling that Jauron is doing either. I really like him but reading that article just makes me more concerned about our coaching staff and the huge gap between the Billd and the Pats.

Edited by Chris in Syracuse

Thanks for the post. I've often wondered if NFL coaching staffs do not overthink everything. One really interesting point was the fact that Bellicheat spends time learning from very good college coaches. Senator (if you happen to read this) ..... this is your queue .......

Thanks, Mr. Cody!

I'm not sure what Dick Jauron does in the off-season to became a better coach, either (apparently, nothing - since he's achieved a remarkably consistent 7-9 W-L record for 3 consecutive years), but Bill Belicheat* spends a lot of time picking the brain of Urban Meyer, coach of the perennial powerhouse and BCS contender Florida Gators...

Belichick turns to unlikey source for coaching advice

Curiously, Belicheat* is most interested in incorporating elements of Meyer's 'spread offense' - the scheme that The Dean and many others argue does not translate well to the NFL, and also the offense used extensively by Texas Tech's 'Mad Scientist'...

Mike Leach (says most NFL teams run the spread offense)

While other coaches (i.e., Schonert,) may try to 'over-think' everything and dazzle you with how clever they are (How many times have we watched a Bills play fall apart behind the line-of-scrimmage before it even developed - while we scratch our heads wondering, 'Just WTF were they trying to do, and who did they think they were going to fool?'), Leach tends to make things as simple as he can for his offense by giving them a limited number of plays to choose from, running them from different formations, and relying on perfect execution rather than mind-numbing complexity...

The first play Leach called against Texas A.&M. was the first play on Cody Hodges's wrist. That wrist held a mere 23 ordinary plays, 9 red-zone plays (for situations inside an opponent's 20-yard line), 6 goal-line plays, 2 2-point-conversion plays and 5 trick plays. "There's two ways to make it more complex for the defense," Leach says. "One is to have a whole bunch of different plays, but that's no good because then the offense experiences as much complexity as the defense. Another is a small number of plays and run it out of lots of different formations." Leach prefers new formations. "That way, you don't have to teach a guy a new thing to do," he says. "You just have to teach him new places to stand." Texas Tech's offense has no playbook; Cody Hodges's wrist and Mike Leach's back pocket hold the only formal written records of what is widely regarded as one of the most intricate offenses ever to take a football field. The plays change too often, in response to the defense and the talents of the players on hand, to bother recording them.

Link - Coach Leach Goes Deep, Very Deep

The best coaches are students of the game, and they're film rats. The fact that Belichik talks to other coaches should be a no brainer. As much as you hate the guy, you gotta love his passion for the game. I'm jealous we don't have a guy that is this motivated.

I remember when Gruden won the Superbowl with Tampa Bay, people would talk about the fact that he never slept at night. He would constantly be making adjustments, watching film, and picking apart each opponent. He lived, drank, and breathed football all day, every day.

The recently hired coach of the Lions, Jim Schwartz, is another student of the game. Has a reputation for locking himself in the film room and specifically designing defensive schemes to destroy opposing offenses. Tireless worker. Now, he hasn't accomplished anything yet with the Lions, but it is really promising to know you have a guy like that coming in to help your team win.

I just never hear anything from Dick Jauron that makes me want to get behind him. He sounds as if he has a knowledge of the game, he's a loyal guy, and seems to care about the teams he coaches quite a bit. But I don't see the desire that I see in other winning coaches. I don't see a guy that communicates with other coaches around this league or college ball. I don't see a guy that makes weekly adjustments or in-game adjustments that take advantage of opponents weaknesses.

I think we've got a really talented group of players. Now we just need someone to lead them to the promise land.

Thanks, Mr. Cody!

I'm not sure what Dick Jauron does in the off-season to became a better coach, either (apparently, nothing - since he's achieved a remarkably consistent 7-9 W-L record for 3 consecutive years), but Bill Belicheat* spends a lot of time picking the brain of Urban Meyer, coach of the perennial powerhouse and BCS contender Florida Gators...

Belichick turns to unlikey source for coaching advice

Curiously, Belicheat* is most interested in incorporating elements of Meyer's 'spread offense' - the scheme that The Dean and many others argue does not translate well to the NFL, and also the offense used extensively by Texas Tech's 'Mad Scientist'...

Please note the use of the word 'elements'. At no point does it state BB is looking to run the spread option at the NFL level.

There is also a difference between the spread option and the spread. IIRC, the last spread type offense to exist in the NFL was called the Run 'N Shoot. Does elements of that still exist? Yes. Does any team run it on a regular basis? No.

Don't let your man crush for Leach over come your sensibilities.