Chuck Pollock calls 'em as he sees 'em

Beerball

I think almost everyone who's followed the team for as long would agree with Pollock that this was clearly a Ralph move.

That doesn't necessarily explain Schonert's comments about his philosophical differences with DJ, or the fact that they had been clashing all offseason, though.

That doesn't necessarily explain Schonert's comments about his philosophical differences with DJ, or the fact that they had been clashing all offseason, though.

Exactly. Or the meeting Evans had with the coaches. Or the shots Edwards and Evans have been taking at Schonert the past year.

And yet there are no changes until 10 days before the opener?

What do you suppose finally made Jauron move?

The realization that they were stinkin' up the joint combined with the CERTAINTY he would lose his job if he went into the season with TS as his OC, instead of the LIKELIHOOD he would lose his job if he made the change.

The realization that they were stinkin' up the joint combined with the CERTAINTY he would lose his job if he went into the season with TS as his OC, instead of the LIKELIHOOD he would lose his job if he made the change.

So he made the decision after a game in which most starters played very little if at all? Odd.

Ah, good, they did put it online. (FWIW, he actually wrote that Friday night for Saturday's edition.) Interesting note toward the end, that this is the first in-season assistant-coaching casualty he can remember during his time covering the team.

Ralph asked for Schonert's head at the end of last season. Jauron refused, and it didn't happen. Jauron echoed the whole continuity thing, something Ralph was onboard with since he kept Jauron himself for continuity's sake, and so they went.

Now, we're supposed to believe that Jauron is lying that Ralph did not say, "it's your call," because legally speaking since Jauron wasn't fired, it was his call. Based on what evidence? That Jauron and Schonert had severe philosophical differences? That Jauron didn't like the progress the offense was making all off-season? And if the emergency executive meeting in Detroit is true, then why would the guy that pulled all the strings on everyone involved need to call such a meeting and want it conducted where he could look people in the eye?

Mr. Wilson may be a lot of things, but this little conspiracy has holes like a sieve.

So he made the decision after a game in which most starters played very little if at all? Odd.

In his painful explanation of his thought process, he didn't say anything about not thinking about it on Thursday, now did he. Seriously, though, who knows what went down between them prior to the whole thing. Like Sisyphean, I think the powwow at Ralph's is a bit odd if he pulled the trigger. It's not outside the realm of possibility, but I think it is just as likely that it was a last ditch, desperate attempt for DJ to save his job.

exactly,your a very smart guy. why the hell would turk throw DJ under the bus if the move came from the top.

personally i dont car how long this guy has covered the bills i've been a fan for 51 years.

this was dicks call and turks comments afterwards only prove that!

do you really think he would blame DJ if wilson fired him ? that makes no sense @ all and i'm not buying it.

it makes no freaking difference if it was 3 days before the season started. it was the play calling that was unsatisfactory. we are not changing the offense.

what will change is how we attack defenses with the same offense and it will come from different play calling.

people are making a big thing out of nothing.

get it thru your heads we are not changing the offense only the way we run it!

What everyone is screaming about is that a coordinator was fired 10 days before the season starts. Not that said coordinator didn't deserve to get axed. Pollock even admits that when Ralph told Wade to get rid of his buddy Ronnie Jones the Bills special teams were the jokeof the NFL.

So I ask you was Ralph wrong for swing the axe on Turk? We all know Limp Dick Jauron is so conservative he won't even change which leg he sticks in first in his trousers when he dresses in the morning. We could have gone all season without scoring a TD and Jauron would just tell us how hard everyone works in practice.

I for one have no problem with Ralph making this change. To me going into the season with Turk or throwing AVP in now is the same thing. It was going to be bad either way.

PTR

it makes no freaking difference if it was 3 days before the season started. it was the play calling that was unsatisfactory. we are not changing the offense.

what will change is how we attack defenses with the same offense and it will come from different play calling.

people are making a big thing out of nothing.

get it thru your heads we are not changing the offense only the way we run it!

the change i mentioned was in OCs you ninny

What everyone is screaming about is that a coordinator was fired 10 days before the season starts. Not that said coordinator didn't deserve to get axed. Pollock even admits that when Ralph told Wade to get rid of his buddy Ronnie Jones the Bills special teams were the jokeof the NFL.

So I ask you was Ralph wrong for swing the axe on Turk? We all know Limp Dick Jauron is so conservative he won't even change which leg he sticks in first in his trousers when he dresses in the morning. We could have gone all season without scoring a TD and Jauron would just tell us how hard everyone works in practice.

I for one have no problem with Ralph making this change. To me going into the season with Turk or throwing AVP in now is the same thing. It was going to be bad either way.

PTR

What CP neglected to mention is that Phillips did't demand that Ronnie Jones remain special teams coach. Indeed, his plan was to make him LB coach the next year. Brown was the DC for a Cardinals team under Buddy Ryan that finished third overall on defense in the mid-90s, so I suspect he wasn't completely incompetent when it came to coaching what he knew (defense as opposed to special teams). That story - which is the truth - typically gets left out when discussing the Wade/Ronnie Jones problem.

What CP neglected to mention is that Phillips did't demand that Ronnie Jones remain special teams coach. Indeed, his plan was to make him LB coach the next year. Brown was the DC for a Cardinals team under Buddy Ryan that finished third overall on defense in the mid-90s, so I suspect he wasn't completely incompetent when it came to coaching what he knew (defense as opposed to special teams). That story - which is the truth - typically gets left out when discussing the Wade/Ronnie Jones problem.

Probably didn't think it was necessary to mention it, because to Ralph, Wade's suggestion was a non-starter -- he wanted Jones GONE. Reportedly, Phillips did refuse the ultimatum, and we know the results.

Interestingly, while most of the people I've heard from since this went down agree with Chuck, not everyone does ...