ATTENTION "Preseason doesn't matter" crowd

BLZFAN4LIFE

We already know about Chan Gailey's firing.

The Chiefs have just two offensive touchdowns so far...

"Running the football is something we're going to have to be able to do," Haley said after the game. "If there was a positive early, I felt we were moving the ball on the ground a little bit. We got sidetracked. We can't let that happen for whatever reason. I shouldn't say for whatever reason. I should say whatever the circumstances in a game that's close like that."

Haley was also critical of the quarterback play, saying, "There wasn't much good happening."

Now the Bucs just fired their offensive coordinator.

"We needed more direction," Bucs coach Raheem Morris said in an early-afternoon news conference. "We needed more precision. [We weren't] getting it at the time, so you make the change."

So there you have it, two NFL clubs that were not satisfied with their teams' preseason performance and sent coaches packing because of it. Meanwhile a long line of posters here insist that the preseason is meaningless and you can not evaluate a team's performance during it. These two teams did not like the poor offensive performances that they saw and did something about it.

Meanwhile our starting O scores no touchdowns in 4 games and what does Dick do... gives them the night off! :P

The Bucs situation was just bizarre. Jagodzinski's philosophies and teaching style wasn't liked in Tampa from day 1. I read somewhere that he wasn't really fit to be a coordinator and was probably in over his head.

I have a feeling the situation in KC was a power struggle. Todd Haley is an offensive guy and Chan Gailey is a veteran coach who would probably want total control of the offense, as he had with Herm Edwards coaching the Chiefs. With the offense struggling, it makes sense that Haley made the move.

Where the "preseason doesn't matter" is the result of the games, but you also want to make sure the first team on both sides of the ball is in sync. I am concerned that the offense hasn't had much time on the field. We've only seen 2 series where the projected starters were on the field together and that was about a month ago. How are they suddenly going to be able to click on Monday night? I don't know.

That said, this doesn't mean that Turk should automatically be fired. I hate the insinuations that just because other teams are making coaching changes, then the Bills should also. We don't know what those changes are going to do to Tampa Bay & Kansas City - maybe they'll take 4-5 weeks to get up to speed with what the HC wants, while going 1-4 at the same time. At least the Bills have the continuity through the preseason and (outside of Turk's play calling) the offense should know what they have to do. I'm not saying the Bills will be 5-1 again, but it may all start clicking in week 3. Unless you're at OBD, you don't know.

So there you have it, two NFL clubs that were not satisfied with their teams' preseason performance and sent coaches packing because of it. Meanwhile a long line of posters here insist that the preseason is meaningless and you can not evaluate a team's performance during it. These two teams did not like the poor offensive performances that they saw and did something about it.

Meanwhile our starting O scores no touchdowns in 4 games and what does Dick do... gives them the night off! :P

I bet there is no laughing in those locker rooms.

The coaches who fired the coordinators are young and inexperienced. This doesn't mean they are wrong either. I think each coach knows from practice how his team is doing. If they don't they are not good coaches. Some coaches game plan more than others in preseason. Some coaches show absolutely nothing. Some coaches put winning in preseason as a priority, some don't.. Look back at some examples...Detroit was 4-0 last year, Buffalo beat Pittsburgh last year. Remember Steve Spurrier in Washington? They kicked butt in preseason only to suck in the regular season. If the Bills are not sandbagging then they are in trouble. I just refuse to judge from preseason games. I'm more worried based on what Jauron has done the past couple years.

You're overly juveneile "But other NFL teams do it!" argument overlooks the simple fact that those organizations were already train wrecks.

Emulating train wrecks is probably not a good strategy.

:P Train wrecks? Where the F have you been for the last decade? :blink:

I suppose that you are fully satisfied and confident in this offence's ability right now. I would say that Dick Jauron has this team looking like the poster child for train wrecks right now.

"I'm more worried based on what Jauron has done the past couple years".

I am in this camp as well. I guess the preseason doesn't matter thing is ok if one sees flashes of competent play

here and there. I have seen very little from our starting offense that looks appealing. Some of his decisions in preseason

like sending in Lindell so much indicate nothing will ever change with Dick.

"I'm more worried based on what Jauron has done the past couple years".

I am in this camp as well. I guess the preseason doesn't matter thing is ok if one sees flashes of competent play

here and there. I have seen very little from our starting offense that looks appealing. Some of his decisions in preseason

like sending in Lindell so much indicate nothing will ever change with Dick.

He is as conservative as they come. He has repeatedly said, come the fourth quarter all you want is a chance. He coaches to keep the game close, hoping that somehow they can pull it out in the end. Terrible!!

:P Train wrecks? Where the F have you been for the last decade? :blink:

Watching football. The Bucs front office hasn't exactly exemplified good management the past few years. The Chiefs has exemplified mismanagement recently. I don't think either can reasonably be used as an example of how to run a football organization...particularly when the substance of your example is strictly limited to a breathtakingly retarded statement of "But they're NFL teams!"

I suppose that you are fully satisfied and confident in this offence's ability right now. I would say that Dick Jauron has this team looking like the poster child for train wrecks right now.

My concerns with the offense are based on the fact that it hasn't changed from last year...and it sucked last year. I could give two ***** about their preseason performance...because IT'S PRESEASON. It doesn't matter.

You're overly juveneile "But other NFL teams do it!" argument overlooks the simple fact that those organizations were already train wrecks.

Emulating train wrecks is probably not a good strategy.

The Bills' train wreck occurred a long time ago. It is not only off the tracks, but the cars have fallen into the ravine. Isn't it about time someone called for a crane to get this antiquated monstrosity back on the tracks?

The Bills' record for the decade have it ranked 29 out of 32. Trust me, no one is emulating this carcass, unless they want to learn how not to run a franchise. How can you not be embarrassed at the dismal state of affairs? :rolleyes:

Meanwhile our starting O scores no touchdowns in 4 games and what does Dick do... gives them the night off! :rolleyes:

shut up