How is that Jason Peters trade looking now?

sharper802

You are an idiot. Plain and simple. You are everything that is wrong with intelligent fans that want to interact with other intelligent fans.

I fail to understand why starting a discussion of the dismantinling of our entire offensive line makes me an idiot. Dismantling means taking it apart in case you don't understand big words. So writing plainly and in a simple format you can follow, the Bills are going into the season with an O-line with 5 players that are new to the league and/or their position including two rookies playing positions they never played before save (that means except) the Senior Bowl. This chain of events has occured due to the unwillingness of the FO to pay our two time ProBowl LT the market rate. The market rate for you is likely the federally mandated minimum wage, but since Peters had unique skills he wanted to be compensated (paid) at the same rate as other elite LT's. Obviously at least one other team in the NFL felt he was an elite LT and have agreed to compensate him fairly.

If you can find me another example of a team starting the season with this many changes to the O-line and making the playoffs I would love to know about it.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You used the word now in your thread title(which you made on Aug 29th) indicating that somewhere in between the Peters trade and Aug 29th you believe that something has changed on our oline and if you think something has changed based on a couple of PRESEASON games then you are an idiot. Truthfully our oline sucked last year and this year it probably wont be any better, however it is younger. Peters can take his panties to Philly, We have men on the line who actually like football now. It's pretty obvious that JP is in it for the $ and Buffalo can't/won't afford players like that.

Ha! Typical "Ivy League" (quotes for Cornell) response.

But, no, I didn't apply to such revered institutions. Also, my school didn't have an agricultural school to apply to as a way to get an "Ivy League" diploma.

Nope. Didn't need to attend even one of the lesser "Ivies" to achieve my career goals. Most people don't.

link

Yep, looks like someone was rejected by all of the Ivies. Even the "lesser" ones. ;)

As for the link, yes the op/ed is a great source for the truth. Because we all know how dumb those Harvard grads are. B-)

Ha! Typical "Ivy League" (quotes for Cornell) response.

But, no, I didn't apply to such revered institutions. Also, my school didn't have an agricultural school to apply to as a way to get an "Ivy League" diploma.

Ah yes - the Ann Coulter argument. Couldn't even get into Cornell's Ag School, huh? ;)

No Ag School at Provincetown Community College? Too bad. Myself, I was in Cornell's College of Arts and Sciences - recognized as probably one of the most difficult undergrad program of any Ivy League university . But I guess you wouldn't know that.

Nope. Didn't need to attend even one of the lesser "Ivies" to achieve my career goals. Most people don't.

link

By 'lesser Ivies' you must be referring to Brown, or maybe Columbia - in which case, I'd have to agree that just about any large public university is as good. Nothing wrong with public universities, BTW - many are considered leading academic and research institutions. And frankly, if I had to do it again, I might choose University of Hawaii. B-)

Still, unless you went to a community college or trade school, I'd bet that a number of your textbooks were authored by Cornell profs, (Sienko's Chemistry, Keeton's Biological Science, Carl Sagan, etc., etc.) - you just didn't have the pleasure of being personally taught by them like I did.

And you really shouldn't sell Cornell's Ag School short either - their students have distribution requirements in the humanities, physical & life sciences, and oral & written expression similar to every other student at Cornell, and they are free to fulfill those requirements with courses from any of Cornell's colleges. But, you wouldn't know that either.

They are also one of the leading institutions in the areas of environmental research, plant science, and food science - allowing you to nourish that lump between your shoulders. B-)

Yes - I'm expecting Demetrius Bell to walk out on his team any day now.

Yeah, and had he shown up for OTAs, training camp, and preseason , he may well have received a renegotiated contract based on his 2007 performance, rather than on his dismal 2008 showing.

Unfortunately - whether due to bad advice from his agent, his own stupidity, greed, and arrogance, or a combination thereof - he did skip OTAs, training camp, and preseason, he did let down his coaches, his teammates, and Bills fans, and he did have a schitty season.

Based on a schitty season and two consecutive years of season-ending injuries, the Bills handled the situation perfectly - as is now being borne out by Peters season-starting injury and sub-par performance in Philadelphia.

This is pitiful. It is still preseason, and Peters has improved consistently, while learning the new system. You don't seem to get it, he's doing fine in Philly. The injury kept him out of practice for, what, five days? Who cares? Only the haters. And they're all in Buffalo.

You say "had he shown up for OTAs, training camp, and preseason , he may well have received a renegotiated contract ..." Well, yeah. And he may not have. The point is that the Bills weren't willing to pay market value, and Philly was. That's why he's an Eagle.

We'll have to see what happens, but I'm betting that by the time he retires, a decade or more from now, people in Philly will be talking about what a great trade it was, and Bills fans - unless we happen to find a replacement at LT, and SOON, will be talking about what a horrible decision it was.

If Bell turns out to be above average, this argument will be irrelevant, because it will have been a good trade regardless of how great Peters becomes. But if we can't find a creditable LT .... we'll be arguing about this for years, if not decades.

This is pitiful. It is still preseason, and Peters has improved consistently, while learning the new system. You don't seem to get it, he's doing fine in Philly. The injury kept him out of practice for, what, five days? Who cares? Only the haters. And they're all in Buffalo.

You say "had he shown up for OTAs, training camp, and preseason , he may well have received a renegotiated contract ..." Well, yeah. And he may not have. The point is that the Bills weren't willing to pay market value, and Philly was. That's why he's an Eagle.

We'll have to see what happens, but I'm betting that by the time he retires, a decade or more from now, people in Philly will be talking about what a great trade it was, and Bills fans - unless we happen to find a replacement at LT, and SOON, will be talking about what a horrible decision it was.

No, Thurman - that's your point. Mine is that the Bills and the Eagles (and Peters/Parker) had drastically different notions of what Peters' true value was. (Market-value, IMO, is what someone - anyone - is willing to pay; true value, as I'm using it here, is what the guy's actually worth.)

Clearly the Bills thought - based on what they saw and knew first-hand - that Peters' true value was worth far less than what he and his agent might be able to swindle out of some other team on the open market, and they acted appropriately.

(And, I would add, to the team's advantage - Peters play will likely continue to decline as he enjoys his $60M, while Eric Wood is a 'keeper' and future Pro Bowl player for years to come.)

BTW - Peters' quad injury kept him off the filed for more than five days, and 'doing fine in Philly' is a matter of opinion - in this case, yours. Listen to the fans in Philly and you might hear a different opinion.

If Bell turns out to be above average, this argument will be irrelevant, because it will have been a good trade regardless of how great Peters becomes. But if we can't find a creditable LT .... we'll be arguing about this for years, if not decades.

I don't see how Bell figures into the trade equation at all - he was, like Peters, an undrafted free agent

GO BILLSSS!!!!

I recently moved to a town near Philadelphia and after watching Jason Peters make his preseason debut last week he looked terrible. Granted it was his first appearance, but he looked out of sync and just slow. I am glad the Bills got rid of him because he turned into a cocky, lazy player that will never be as productive as he was two season ago. Give the current line some time and they will get better. And I say good luck to Mcnabb with an overpaid left tackle watching his back

Yep, looks like someone was rejected by all of the Ivies. Even the "lesser" ones. ;)

As for the link, yes the op/ed is a great source for the truth. Because we all know how dumb those Harvard grads are. B-)

The piece clearly cites the American Academy of Arts and Sciences as the source of the data, genius. Roll the eyes.

You don't like that link, google it and pick from among the many others.

The point is that it is infinitley harder to get into Harvard than it is to flunk out.

Again, way back when I was applying to college, the Ivy League was not on my radar, believe me. Getting into Harvard these days is quite a feet, I must admit. I really don't imagine that many people feel the same way about the more.....parochial members of that elite group of schools.

Myself, I was in Cornell's College of Arts and Sciences - recognized as probably one of the most difficult undergrad program of any Ivy League university . But I guess you wouldn't know that.

Recognized as such only by recently graduated high school seniors from upstate NY and kids from elsewhere who couldn't get into Harvard/Yale/Princeton.

I'm sure the 4-H degree program is top notch, as you claim.

The haters will be happy with this trade even if the Bills don't turn up a decent LT for the next ten years and if when Peters retires fifteen years from now as an Eagle he is acknowledged as the best LT in football over two decades and is a shoo-in hall-of-famer.

Their hate has trumped their logic and ability to think with dispassion.

It's more and more obvious that our plans to replace Peters were simply insufficient. As long as we can't replace him with a guy who is at least very capable, the trade will look worse and worse to everyone around the league ... except the haters, who would rather have Adolf Hitler at LT than Jason Peters.

It's pitiful, but don't expect better.

The thing your forgetting is that Jason Peters didn't really seem to want to play here. Yes he wanted a raise, but most professionals that want a raise, at least keep in shape, and put forth a good effort when they do show up, to prove they deserve it.

And if you pay a guy enough money to be the top paid tackle (or close to it) in the NFL, you expect more than just talent, but full effort on every play. If they would have paid him what he was asking, do you think he would have suddenly decided to get in shape, and give full effort.

That's allot of money to gamble on a player who didn't even get drafted because of a stigma of not putting effort out consistently, who showed he is still capable of falling back on those bad habits.

While I think he is very talented, and very well could be one of the all time greats at the position if he stays in shape, and plays hard every down, I do not believe he would have done that no matter how much money he was shown in Buffalo. Sending him packing was the only move that made sense to me, as putting out that much money in a long term contract on a player who doesn't always play is too big of a gamble for a small market team. And the message doing that would send to rest of players on team doesn't help either.

Basically, while I hate to see them loose another talented player, in this case I think it was for the best.

Again, way back when I was applying to college, the Ivy League was not on my radar, believe me. Getting into Harvard these days is quite a feet, I must admit.

So is spelling 'feat', I guess, for someone of your intelligence.

I can see why you never bothered applying! B-)

I don't know anything for sure about the contracts or money he was offered, but from what I have heard from rumors from a couple of scouts I know, is that the Bills were willing to go higher than the contract he signed for in Philly earlier in the negotiations, but he wanted more than that. He wanted to be the top paid tackle in the NFL at that point. I only have heard that in hearsay, but based on the ploys of other clients of his agent, it would not surprise me in the least if was true.

Replying to How is that Jason Peters trade looking now?

Seeing how we didn't have any under contract, overrated, lazy players holding out of camp for a umpteenth year in a row, coupled with the fact that he is going to get McNabb killed, I would say it is looking pretty good as of now. Thanks for asking.

Maybe the Eagles will make it to the Superbowl, than lazy ass Peters will have a "real" excuse this year for not going to the Pro Bowl, since it is the weekend before the Super Bowl in Miami this year. Although if he does get selected, I am sure it will be because of his name and salary, not for his play on the field, just like last year.

In the preseason game I watched him in this year he was horrible. He was getting beat the whole game and even racked up a couple false starts.

He also looked slow and out of condition.

Just saying.

Yep! Same Jason Peters isn't it. Glad he is gone. We sucked with him and we can suck without him. Go Bills!