Anybody here use Ebay to sell or buy a car

plenzmd1

So have a car i am trying to sell. Car is paid for and I am in no hurry to sell it, but want to get what I think it is worth. I see why Carmax makes money after what they are offering me for the car..a good $3500 less than what the car is worth IMHO. (taking a figure about 50% between trade in and private party valuation in BB and putting in average condition when in fact car is in great condition, as well as what cars are selling for on Autotrader, Cars.com and local paper)

Anyway, have been reading Ebay is really a great way to sell the car..just trying to get some feedback if anybody has used it.

THX

BTW 2003 BMWCI if anyone is interested

So have a car i am trying to sell. Car is paid for and I am in no hurry to sell it, but want to get what I think it is worth. I see why Carmax makes money after what they are offering me for the car..a good $3500 less than what the car is worth IMHO. (taking a figure about 50% between trade in and private party valuation in BB and putting in average condition when in fact car is in great condition, as well as what cars are selling for on Autotrader, Cars.com and local paper)

Anyway, have been reading Ebay is really a great way to sell the car..just trying to get some feedback if anybody has used it.

THX

I've put my car up in a classified ad and haven't received any responses. I keep lowering the price and I now have it at what I think is more than fair. My car may be a different situation, maybe I'm expecting too much. I also listed it on Craig's list.

i have a neighbor that has bought and sold a few cars on ebay..the last auction ended last saturday and I was with him at a party at the time...he can't say enough about his experiences with them. let me know if you want some info or tips and i will see if i can reach out to him for you.

THX

I used autotrader to sell my tacoma pickup. Posted for less than 24 hours had many calls - ended up selling it to a guy who lives about two miles away - handed me a check for may asking price handed his son the keys and off they went. Could not have been easier.

I bought a motorcycle on Ebay and absolutely STOLE it. Got it for 2/3 NADA value, of course it was in Buffalo in January. IMO, Ebay is great for buyers, not so much for sellers who want top $$$. Don't forget a buyer is entering into a legally binding agreement. Will you then bid top$$$ for a vehicle sight unseen? No, but you will at 2/3 to 3/4 the value

I bought and sold 3 boats on eBay. I concur with above that it's better for the buyer than the seller, but boats don't always hold their value, either. I got three really good deals when buying, and sold for what I could get when selling.

Just put a reserve price on it, and if you don't get the reserve (the minimum that you will sell it for), then you don't have to sell it.

Good luck!

I bought a car on ebay several months back from a dealer in Cleveland. There were several bids on the car already but I called him up and negotiated a price about $600 under the "Buy it now" price. I drove there the next day, took it for a test spin and handed over the check.

The dealer I bought from puts a lot of cars on ebay, but sells most prior to the auction end. This way, they avoid the ebay fees, but get the use of ebay to get people to look at the car.

Almost all sellers put in a disclaimer that the car is for sale locally and the auction may end early if sold locally. Looks like this is a good way of protecting you on the downside as a seller. If the bids don't come up high enough, end it early by canceling the bids and saying that the vehicle is no longer available.

This might work better for a seller than having a reserve price. Lots of people will avoid bidding on an item with a reserve price. Just price it low, put a reasonable "buy it now" on it and shut it down if the bids are too low and nobody used the "buy it now".

Not very ethical, but par for the course for used car dealers. :devil:

I bought a car on ebay several months back from a dealer in Cleveland. There were several bids on the car already but I called him up and negotiated a price about $600 under the "Buy it now" price. I drove there the next day, took it for a test spin and handed over the check.

The dealer I bought from puts a lot of cars on ebay, but sells most prior to the auction end. This way, they avoid the ebay fees, but get the use of ebay to get people to look at the car.

Almost all sellers put in a disclaimer that the car is for sale locally and the auction may end early if sold locally. Looks like this is a good way of protecting you on the downside as a seller. If the bids don't come up high enough, end it early by canceling the bids and saying that the vehicle is no longer available.

This might work better for a seller than having a reserve price. Lots of people will avoid bidding on an item with a reserve price. Just price it low, put a reasonable "buy it now" on it and shut it down if the bids are too low and nobody used the "buy it now".

Not very ethical, but par for the course for used car dealers. :devil:

Thx all for the tips, greatly appreciated. Does sound a little better for the buyers, but as I am not in a huge hurry to sell, think I am going to give it a try.

THX again

if i am not mistaken, my neighbor sets reserve, and if it isn't met but a bidder was close or active in the bidding, after the auction he would email the bidder and see if there was interest at a slightly lesser cost than the reserve....

Thx all for the tips, greatly appreciated. Does sound a little better for the buyers, but as I am not in a huge hurry to sell, think I am going to give it a try.

THX again

I used autotrader to sell my tacoma pickup. Posted for less than 24 hours had many calls - ended up selling it to a guy who lives about two miles away - handed me a check for may asking price handed his son the keys and off they went. Could not have been easier.

I assume the man paid, and he signed the title as the buyer. I don't know if sonny was a minor, but

NEVER sell a vehicle to a minor. They can't enter into contracts.

think I am going to give it a try.

I recommend craigslist. I've sold one car on Ebay, one on craigslist and bought another on craigslist. I found the craigslist transactions to be much easier. Maybe it was just who I dealt with, but on Ebay people aren't very serious about buying your vehicle unless they can bend you over. No thanks!