Why did we let Jabari Greer go again?

VIPP

I know we are deep at corner, but in this league u need atleast 3 that are capable to hold their own. Especially with the frequency of injuries and what not. I know we got youtoby, but i don't think he can hold greer's water.

He was coming along sooo good tho, it totally sucks being a farm team in this league!

Ps i would probably start him over mcgee, just because i like his size, and his speed is pretty good (since he used to be a track star at tenn i believe).

aw well, no sense in cryin over spilt milk, i'm done lol

I know we are deep at corner, but in this league u need atleast 3 that are capable to hold their own. Especially with the frequency of injuries and what not. I know we got youtoby, but i don't think he can hold greer's water.

He was coming along sooo good tho, it totally sucks being a farm team in this league!

Ps i would probably start him over mcgee, just because i like his size, and his speed is pretty good (since he used to be a track star at tenn i believe).

how much did the saints sign him for? im honestly asking, not trying to make a point. find out how much he signed for and we can discuss it from there.

how much did the saints sign him for? im honestly asking, not trying to make a point. find out how much he signed for and we can discuss it from there.

The Bills were trying to resign Greer but lost out to Saints.

Per Times Picayune 3/4/09:

Greer's contract reportedly is worth approximately $23 million (an average of $5.75 annually), according to The National Football Post. Those numbers suggest Greer, 5 feet 11, 180 pounds, likely will be a favorite to win a starting job.

He comes to the Saints after starting 23 games the past two seasons as an undrafted free agent with the Bills. He has four career interceptions, including two last season, that he returned for touchdowns. He missed the final six games in 2008 with a knee injury.

"I've been traveling non-stop since Friday," said Greer, who also visited Detroit, Tampa Bay and Cleveland. "Everything has worked out wonderfully. I am elated and excited about this opportunity.

"After talking to the players (specifically defensive backs Mike McKenzie, Tracy Porter, Roman Harper) and getting their point of views on the team, the coaching staff and the executives upstairs, they had nothing but great things to say. They really believe in this program."

Greer, 27, said he is familiar with the type of defense new Saints coordinator Gregg Williams plans to install in New Orleans. Greer spent his first three seasons at Buffalo working under defensive coordinator Jerry Gray, who has a long history coaching with Williams.

"Coach Williams has a (defensive) system that I am familiar with," Greer said. "It's a lot of the same terminology and schemes that I feel comfortable with. I know he's a coach that expects a lot out of his players. Having that challenge is exciting to me."

The Saints' newest signings have one thing in common: each is extremely fast. Greer, 27, was a standout hurdler at Tennessee, winning the 2003 NCAA Indoor 60-meters championship.

we need the money to sign terrance Mcgee who will be a free agent, and most people have him as a higher rated corner than greer-so that s prob why. Plus like you said we are deep at corner too

McGee

McKelvin

Florence

Youboty

Corner

Lankster

Harris

Sargeant

That is an area of strength....and it saved the Bills 23 million.

There is no way I would start him over T. McGee. Don't get me wrong, I admire Greer and his dedication/perserverence to stick in the NFL as an undrafted FA.

I'm a huge Greer fan (university of tennessee) and am happy to see him get a chance to start. I have to agree that we have probably at a minimum two better db's in McGee and McKelvin and a strong bunch behind them and that 23 million is more than we should pay for someone who is not the starter. I wish him well though.

You'd probably be the only one. Greer's good, McGee's better.

I agree, however... It works both ways. I'm not sure it will be wise to spend 7-8 million a year for 5 years on a guy who is already 29. So there is a good chance we lose McGee after this year, along with Greer before this year. If we signed Greer for the 5.75 mil per that he signed with NO for (which he would have agreed to), we would've saved 6 million on Florence, had Greer as the nickel back this year, allowed McGee to leave after this year, and had a solid starter in Greer next year with one more year under his belt for about 15 million less.

We were kind of stuck. But that MAY, I repeat MAY, have been the better way to go.

Because it was either him or Mcgee. McKelvin is penciled in as a starter for the next 4 years, and Id rather have McGee paired with him then Greer.

Dont get me wrong, Greers a good player and he worked his tail off to get where he is now...but the Bills made the right decision by letting him walk, unless of course they reward McGee with a Chris Kelsay type of megadeal that he doesn't deserve. You can make the argument that the bills overpaid for Lee Evans too, but in todays NFL thats what you have to do to keep your core players together.

I agree, however... It works both ways. I'm not sure it will be wise to spend 7-8 million a year for 5 years on a guy who is already 29. So there is a good chance we lose McGee after this year, along with Greer before this year. If we signed Greer for the 5.75 mil per that he signed with NO for (which he would have agreed to), we would've saved 6 million on Florence, had Greer as the nickel back this year, allowed McGee to leave after this year, and had a solid starter in Greer next year with one more year under his belt for about 15 million less.

We were kind of stuck. But that MAY, I repeat MAY, have been the better way to go.

Good post. You gotta take into account that McGee is still a dynamite kick returner as well as a better CB then Greer. IMO Florence was a bargain considering how much money the jags threw at him just last year, and he provides depth until youboty proves he can stay healthy or Reggie Corner/Lankster takes over.

I failed to send any of my money to the NFL Union Prevailing Wage for Cornerbacks Fund.

I am a horrible human being.

Would it have made sense for the Bills to pay Greer the $23m to keep him and then draft another area of need (OL/DL) with our #1 pick last year rather than drafting Mckelvin and paying him $23m ?

sort of, but what we did instead was draft a CB replacement first and made sure the kid could play, then drafted OL/DL this year.

so instead of having Greer and a rookie Lineman last year and ending up with a young Lineman and rookie DB this year... we ended up wit a young DB (who is a great return man) and a bunch of rookie OL and DL this year.

6 of 1, half dozen of the other, IMO. i guess youd have to compare the linemen available in last years draft to this year's (were there top level interior linemen available last year?) and youd have to compare DB talent this year to McKelvin. either way, i think its a wash, or we made out with the talents of McKelvin, Wood, Levitre, and Maybin. but again, i have to revisit who was available at line positions last year and who was available at DB positions this year.

sort of, but what we did instead was draft a CB replacement first and made sure the kid could play, then drafted OL/DL this year.

so instead of having Greer and a rookie Lineman last year and ending up with a young Lineman and rookie DB this year... we ended up wit a young DB (who is a great return man) and a bunch of rookie OL and DL this year.

6 of 1, half dozen of the other, IMO. i guess youd have to compare the linemen available in last years draft to this year's (were there top level interior linemen available last year?) and youd have to compare DB talent this year to McKelvin. either way, i think its a wash, or we made out with the talents of McKelvin, Wood, Levitre, and Maybin. but again, i have to revisit who was available at line positions last year and who was available at DB positions this year.

But we still would have had Greer, an OL/DL or LB who we would have picked instead of Leodis last year as well as all of the picks from this year. The only difference is that we would have spent $23m to keep Greer plus another $23m on whomever we drafted instead of Leodis. That is, I assume, where the problem would have come into play for the Bills. I guess my question is, why open up a whole in the defense and them immediately draft to fill it when you could have kept Greer and addressed another need? I think that Leodis in the long run will be a much better player than Greer, but its interesting to consider anyways.