Cowher should be a realistic option for Bills

Pitta

Personally I dont see this getting much better until a new owner comes in and cleans house and has the desire to demand excellence from the HC down to the water boy.

RW is a HOF owner, but I think he is just glad he wakes up each morning and doesn't have the gusto anymore to fly around lighting fires under people's asses anymore.

Agreed. This franchise is dead in the water until Ralph (bless his heart) has moved on to the HOF in the heavens and someone who wants to compete for the title is in charge. Until that day, its all just memories for bills fans. Look at SanDiego, look at Minnesota. they are competing for the title and spending what it takes to do that.. it may all blow up in their faces if injuries, etc occur, but at least they are making the effort. The bills are just happy to be a franchise, a Club, a group of guys making a living in the football business...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all he is too overrated and popular to come to Buffalo. He will go to Carolina or SanDiego.

Second of all he is too over rated to want him.

Gruden will come and he can get it done.

If Gruden came we will have 6 QB's on the roster and 4 DB's....now thats a total flip flop of what we have now LOL.

Actually I've changed my tune on this. I'd love to see the Bills hire Cowher for a year.

Just to watch him mangle a team with average talent to a 4-12 record so the rest of the world can see what everybody in Western Pennsylvania already knows. He's a complete idiot.

Wow....I certainly hope you took notice of the fact that Cowher had alot of winning seasons in Pittsburgh and a Super Bowl. That doesnt happen on talent alone. Cowher may be cocky and arrogant, but its what our underachievers need. The Bills practice soft and play even softer. We had a 7-9 record last year and by far the easiest schedule. I may be wrong, but I dont think we beat an above .500 team.

I hope Jauron & company proves everyone wrong and makes the playoffs. But if somehow he doesn't, I could sell a guy like Cowher on the Bills job in a hour.

I would just tell him how great of a blue collar family town this is, how much the Bills mean to this community, the young talent, control over personnel, have Jimbo & Thurman talked to him, show the Norwood rally, and say he could literally save the Bills from moving. He could be a hero here. He'd probably pay to coach after that speech.

Yes, he would pay Ralph to be able to coach the Bills, as soon as they agree on the plans to build that new Peace Bridge. But seriously folks, forget about Wilson bringing in a high profile coach at this late stage of his life. If 3 consecutive 7-9-0 seasons was not enough to fire Jauron and offer Bill Cowher full control last year, then Ralph will never do it. If he fires Jauron, look for Fewell or Schonert to take the job for peanuts, and be thrilled about it.

I hope Jauron & company proves everyone wrong and makes the playoffs. But if somehow he doesn't, I could sell a guy like Cowher on the Bills job in a hour.

I would just tell him how great of a blue collar family town this is, how much the Bills mean to this community, the young talent, control over personnel, have Jimbo & Thurman talked to him, show the Norwood rally, and say he could literally save the Bills from moving. He could be a hero here. He's probably pay to coach after that speech.

I would love it, Pitta, but lets just say he did, and honestly lets say he gives Cowher a 5 year, 35 million dollar deal...what happens when Cowher wants to chase after free agents and make his team better?

Are the Bills going to open up the pocket book? Does Cowher even believe that they are going to open up the pocket book?

The reality of today is that a coach like Cowher is going to go where the money is, and not just for himself.

I would love it, Pitta, but lets just say he did, and honestly lets say he gives Cowher a 5 year, 35 million dollar deal...what happens when Cowher wants to chase after free agents and make his team better?

What big name free agents did he ever chase in Pittsburgh? In fact during his era Pittsburgh was notorious for letting key players walk after their contracts expired (ie Rod Woodson).

the Bills next coach will be another retread like Dom Capers or another Co-ordinator who has never been a head coach that will come cheap

Dom Capers is a very good coach, I would love to have him.

His record as a head coach is pretty crappy, but they've all been expansion teams...which are impossible to win with, and kind of unfair.

I don't particularly care for cowher...I don't think he's worth what he's going to cost, he'll be super overhyped and therefore super expensive. He's the anti-jauron in that he's very fired up, but I don't think he's a better HC than gruden.

What big name free agents did he ever chase in Pittsburgh? In fact during his era Pittsburgh was notorious for letting key players walk after their contracts expired (ie Rod Woodson).

BD, absolutely right, however:

1. The Pittsburgh football organization is a far cry from the Buffalo program.

2. Don't you think that if he gets back into coaching the second time around that he would want a little different situation...in other words, money to get players?

Do we really, honestly think a coach of his stature is saying to himself: "Man, if I get back into this I truly would like to go to another cash strapped organization in a dying Northeastern town, b/c, with my kids mostly grown, I would not want to dream of living in places like Tampa, Dallas, Chicago, Denver, San Diego, Washington or New York."

I live in Buffalo, I love Buffalo, I'm just sayin.

2. Don't you think that if he gets back into coaching the second time around that he would want a little different situation...in other words, money to get players?

I can only guess but I think that the fact that he wasn't interested in the Washington Redskins HC vacancy last year or the New York Jets this year indicates that money/free agents isn't Cowher's sole motivation.

Cowher's going to Dallas next year after Wade Phillips gets canned.

Not so fast, Next season the Redskins and Cowboys will have a bidding war for Cowher and make him the highest paid NFL coach ever, 12-14 mill a year. He now resides in Raleigh, North Carolina to be near his daughter who attended school and played basketball there,but now that she graduated,who knows what can happen.

RW will have none of that, the Bills next head coach won't make more then 4 million, so that leaves less options then you may think. The Buffalo Bills are the Costco- Walmart of the NFL.

As I've stated in other posts I'd like to see RW hire Marty Schottheimer out of retirement to take over the Bills, heck he could start 1/2 through the season if Jauron is fired at the Bye.

I'll take 12-4 over 7-9 any day :thumbsup:

Cowher was also doing it with QB's like Kordell Stewart, Neil O'Donnel, and Tommy Maddox. Also its not his fault that he ran into the Patriots 3 times in the play offs and got his ass kicked to the curb by Parcells/Belichick and later just Belichick.

"its hard to win when the other team tapes your practices and walk thrus not to mention your coordinators on the sidelines"

be gone troll

Let's be realistic here. If the Bills fired DJ, we probably will promote from within. Leading choice would be Bobby April. I actually wouldnt mind this. The guy has a lot of passion and calls gutsy plays. I know he is ST minded but if he can bring half of the success from ST with him as HC for the Bills I would love it.

Also personal story that should seal my point....

Last game of last season against the Pats. I saw Fred Jackson dancing on the field when he was supposed to be warming up and doing drills, Bobby April came up behind him and yelled something. I tell ya, I have never seen a player move so fast to the warm up line haha