Who Do You Want?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cowher will never come her. He will be in Carolina after they dump Del Rio.

Shanahan would be great but pricey-he gets 5 million per year the next 3 for NOT working.

Dungy is no improvement over DJ--he had the most talented team for years this decade and one a single SB.

I would say Marty S. is a good choice. He ain't doing anything right now.

Of those guys, I'd want Cowher probably, but any of them will be infinitely better than whomever the Bills actually hire.

You better add a few names to the list that will cost a LOT less if you want this to be at all realistic. All those guys will not only cost way more than Ralph will ever pay a head coach, but they will also want far more control than he will give them. For instance, none of them will stand for the owner sitting in the draft room overruling scouts, one of Ralph's hobbies.

Not disagreeing with your point, but I could never understand why Ralph, or any owner ftm, would go cheap on the coach. He just paid $5 mil a year on a kid, Maybin, that may or may not be a bonafide NFL player. Why not drop that $25 mil for 5 years on Cowher?

If I was an owner, in any pro sport, the first thing I would do is shell out for the best head coach available.

Shannahan, Cowher, Holmgren, Gruden or Dungy

Buffalo will get one of these guys next season.

are you kidding me with this? when has Ralph EVER gone out and hired a coach like any of them?

I find it comical people are so sure Ralph is going to go out and hire one of the top high salaried guys when he has never done so in the past

you are also assuming Ralph is going to fire Jauron after this season which is no sure thing but even if he does you expect him to hire one of the high priced guys you mentioned plus pay the remaining salary on Jaurons contract....simply not going to happen

Cowher will never come her. He will be in Carolina after they dump Del Rio.

Shanahan would be great but pricey-he gets 5 million per year the next 3 for NOT working.

Dungy is no improvement over DJ--he had the most talented team for years this decade and one a single SB.

I would say Marty S. is a good choice. He ain't doing anything right now.

Del Rio is the coach in Jacksonville, not Carolina

Dungy caoched two of the most talented teams in the league (Tampa and Indy) and only won one Super Bowl and needed to play a gift team like Chicago to get the one he did....can you imagine if the Bills got to play a team like the Bears or the two teams the Steelers recently played in the Super Bowl during their Super Bowl years?

Cowher would be at best a marginal improvement over Jauron.

Given equal squads he gets his ass handed to him more often than not.

One of the most over-rated coaches in the modern history of this league.

Cowher is a great coach. His Derrick Thomas Defense in Kansas City was epic. As we know, his defenses in Pitt were

just as impressive. He also seems to have an eye for talent (he basically made Tom Donahoe leave Pitt -- and drafted his own players which won him and Mike Tomlin SB Rings). He is worth $5 mil per season. How is he overated?

Salary: maybe they move DJ to the front office and pro rate his salary. He would be an excellent scout.

Wilson is forced to spend for a top coach now. He tried to do it on the cheap with Mularky and Greg Williams and DJ. Now he has to pay the piper. DJ has been a good teacher. HOwever, he is not a winner, a leader or an innovator. DJ is a hell of a foot ball guy and a VERY good defensive coordinator -- but he cant get guys to play bigger than they are.

The culture has to change -- and a strong old timer has to step in to add the steady hand and control and guidance. Also, someone has to be of the same, or at least similar, intellect of Bill Belacheat.

Want Shanahan

Won't ever come to Buffalo Shanahan, Cowher, Holmgren

Best option Gruden - Chuckie would be idolized in Buffalo. He would need to bring in a capable defensive coordinator. Dare I say bring back Wade. The guy has been awesome as a D-coordinator everywhere he has been.

Cowher is a great coach. His Derrick Thomas Defense in Kansas City was epic. As we know, his defenses in Pitt were

just as impressive. He also seems to have an eye for talent (he basically made Tom Donahoe leave Pitt -- and drafted his own players which won him and Mike Tomlin SB Rings). He is worth $5 mil per season. How is he overated?

Salary: maybe they move DJ to the front office and pro rate his salary. He would be an excellent scout.

Wilson is forced to spend for a top coach now. He tried to do it on the cheap with Mularky and Greg Williams and DJ. Now he has to pay the piper. DJ has been a good teacher. HOwever, he is not a winner, a leader or an innovator. DJ is a hell of a foot ball guy and a VERY good defensive coordinator -- but he cant get guys to play bigger than they are.

The culture has to change -- and a strong old timer has to step in to add the steady hand and control and guidance. Also, someone has to be of the same, or at least similar, intellect of Bill Belacheat.

I have heard that many times and never seen a scintilla of evidence. He certainly is not teaching the team how tom manage a 3-4 defense.

HE was our DC under Hank Bolough I believe. And Detroits.

Yes, wonderful body of work.

This guy is going to be out of the HC job and never even get another sniff at ANY nfl job if there is any justice in the world.

Cowher's defense in Pittsburgh were Dick Lebeau's defenses. He even turned Buffalo's D into a fearsome bunch. Lebeau should be in the HOF as a player and a coordinator. If he were younger he probably would have been given another head coaching shot.

Cowher would be at best a marginal improvement over Jauron.

Given equal squads he gets his ass handed to him more often than not.

One of the most over-rated coaches in the modern history of this league.

Agreed!!! How many home playoff games did he lose? AFC chanmpionship home losses - three? If it hadn't been for a NY Jets kicker missing a chip shot and the Colts sucking the big one at home he never would have gotten a ring. Oh and I forgot the refs in the Superbowl.

Not disagreeing with your point, but I could never understand why Ralph, or any owner ftm, would go cheap on the coach. He just paid $5 mil a year on a kid, Maybin, that may or may not be a bonafide NFL player. Why not drop that $25 mil for 5 years on Cowher?

If I was an owner, in any pro sport, the first thing I would do is shell out for the best head coach available.

Coaches - guaranteed contracts that's why. If he is a bust ala Dick Jauron you have to eat the entire contract.

Players - only the signing bonus and occasionally a little more is guaranteed.

The defenses in Pittsburgh were not his, they were and are Dick LeBeau's. And when LeBeau wasn't around the Stillers were a shell of themselves.

He's also never drafted a single player for Pittsburgh as the Rooney's knew better than to give him any kind of control like that. That roster was created primarily by the Rooneys, Donahoe and Kevin Colbert.

How is he overrated?

Ummmmm he had arguably the best talent in the entire NFL for 15 years, was guaranteed a playoff spot in that crappy division every year, was frequently surrounded by outstanding co-ordinators and yet managed to do horrid work on Sundays and continually gag up opportunities by getting his ass kicked by inferior talent on his home field in both the regular season and the playoffs.

After pissing away all that talent for so long, the Rooneys finally brought LeBeau back. And that's who won that Super Bowl for him. Then it took less than a season for a rookie HC to become a smarter, better coach than Cowher will ever be.

You guys want to give this idiot 5 million/year because he spits on people and talks on TV, when the truth of the matter is that he's the kind of guy who can lose with his'ns and your'ns. The Stiller fans saw first hand what a clown he was and they don't want him back. Why the heck would you?

The most over-rated coach in the modern history of this league.

Lebeau should be in the HOF as a player and a coordinator. I

If he doesn't go on the first ballot, somebody needs kicked in the jimmy.

are you kidding me with this? when has Ralph EVER gone out and hired a coach like any of them?

I find it comical people are so sure Ralph is going to go out and hire one of the top high salaried guys when he has never done so in the past

you are also assuming Ralph is going to fire Jauron after this season which is no sure thing but even if he does you expect him to hire one of the high priced guys you mentioned plus pay the remaining salary on Jaurons contract....simply not going to happen

Chuck Knox. :huh: Not that he will hire any of the Coaches mentioned.

Del Rio is the coach in Jacksonville, not Carolina

Dungy caoched two of the most talented teams in the league (Tampa and Indy) and only won one Super Bowl and needed to play a gift team like Chicago to get the one he did....can you imagine if the Bills got to play a team like the Bears or the two teams the Steelers recently played in the Super Bowl during their Super Bowl years?

Del Rio or John Fox would be a more realistic option. Both are in must win this year positions (like DJ). Those others would never come to Buffalo. RW would never pay what it would take anyway.

DJ is a teacher. This core of players is being taught this season. 8-8 this season and then a winner comes to Buffalo. Here are the choices:

Shannahan: Would install a west coast offense using TEs and a great running game (one cut to north south). Would score points and scare Miami and the Pats.

Cowher: Would be an aggressive blitzing defense. The offensive line would be physical and dominate. Good special teams, just a hard team that would be in every game and win about 9 -11 games per season.

Holmgren: West coast offense. Would want to GM as well. Would have a boring style of play -- but he was good in a small town before --- see GREEN BAY.

Gruden: West coast offense. Would be a drill sargent. Knows good players and would install a very good ground game. He was great with the Raiders where he made Ty Wheatley an all pro overnight.

Dungy: Chill guy who asks for maturity on the team. Would instill a winning attitude. It helped that he had Peyton Manning. I don't think Dungy is any better/worse than Herm Edwards -- who stunk as a pro coach.

Buffalo will get one of these guys next season.

Shannahan: Dallas if Wade is Fired.

Cowher: Carolina or Washington.

Holmgren: Maybe, but I would not give him GM duties.

Gruden: Maybe

Dungy: You are wrong about him. He is a Good Coach, but also is RETIRED. He will not Coach again.

Realistic Canadates:

Mike Leech: :huh:

Dennis Green: Would work CHEAP, I think he is a Good Coach.

Steve Mariuchi: Like Ralph, from Detroit. Also a Good Coach.

Marty Schottenheimher: Marty Ball, Former Bill. I'm surprised Ralph hasn't hired him yet. UP there in age, but so is Ralph & so was Marv.

Want Shanahan

Won't ever come to Buffalo Shanahan, Cowher, Holmgren

Best option Gruden - Chuckie would be idolized in Buffalo. He would need to bring in a capable defensive coordinator. Dare I say bring back Wade. The guy has been awesome as a D-coordinator everywhere he has been.

Wade Phillips

Marty ball would be fun but it would take a couple/three years to transition to his style. He is another 'nice guy'. We need a hammer ... no more mr. nice guy(s).

John Lynch is the Color Man for the Bucs Games this Preseason. He said last night during the Bucs game that he doesn't think the young players today will play for a hard azz Coach like they now have in Denver. Raheem Morris the new Bucs coach is a players Coach & Lynch thinks he will have success in the league.