no-huddle tempo

Lothar

from Chris Brown's blog ... I thought this was an interesting tidbit:

In the press box I spoke to an AFC scout who was in attendance and he said he has not seen an NFL team run the no huddle that fast, "in a while." It's going to really be interesting to see where this no huddle attack goes from this point forward.

In the press box I spoke to an AFC scout who was in attendance and he said he has not seen an NFL team run the no huddle that fast, "in a while." It's going to really be interesting to see where this no huddle attack goes from this point forward.

They were, as the kids say, "hauling ass" during the game.

One thing that will be interesting to see is whether or not that high tempo lasts throughout a game. It's one thing when you rotate all three strings in and they take turns, but I'm very eager to see if our starters can keep that speed up for 4 QTRs.

If I were an NFL DC, and in the regular season you ran a consistent no-huddle against me, I would at some point suffer off-sides and personal foul and unsportsmanship flags and bust your QB into little pieces.

If I were an NFL DC, and in the regular season you ran a consistent no-huddle against me, I would at some point suffer off-sides and personal foul and unsportsmanship flags and bust your QB into little pieces.

And risk a game suspension and $20,000 fine? I'll bet there will a lot takers for that job.

And risk a game suspension and $20,000 fine? I'll bet there will a lot takers for that job.

Yup. I can hand over compensatory cash in the parking lot at night. You run a gimmick that inhibits my LOS players planting their feet and have them bouncing around so they themselves are susceptible to injury, I'll have my takers.

Edited by stuckincincy

Yup. I can hand over compensatory cash in the parking lot at night.

Seriously, if that scenario transpired, the NFL would bring in the FBI. But since the O is beating the D to the line, it would be very difficult for the D bring off a realistic looking offsides.

Seriously, if that scenario transpired, the NFL would bring in the FBI. But since the O is beating the D to the line, it would be very difficult for the D bring off a realistic looking offsides.

It's easy to go offsides. A CB can do it.

Re: FBI - see the actions of the DEN OL for the past several years...

In the press box I spoke to an AFC scout who was in attendance and he said he has not seen an NFL team run the no huddle that fast, "in a while."...

...and do you know why no NFL team has run the no huddle that fast in a while? Because the Bills lost 4 consecutive SB's running the no huddle that fast. End of debate. It kills it's own defenders. The Bills used to go 3 and out faster then the defense could suck in two breaths of oxygen on the sidelines. And that was a team loaded with veteran talent on both sides of the ball.

This new "no huddle" system needs to be a nice slower version - run somewhere in between those K-Gunners of the early 90's and today's Peyton Mannings' "slowwwno huddle he runs from the line of scrimmage. Todays' Bills defense will need all the help and ball control in can get if DJ really has fantasies about sneaking into the playoffs.

...and do you know why no NFL team has run the no huddle that fast in a while? Because the Bills lost 4 consecutive SB's running the no huddle that fast. End of debate. It kills it's own defenders. The Bills used to go 3 and out faster then the defense could suck in two breaths of oxygen on the sidelines. And that was a team loaded with veteran talent on both sides of the ball.

I am completely of the opposite opinion here. We're running this offense because it forces defenses to be simpler, allowing our young OL a chance to gel without facing exotic blitzes. The one disadvantage here is that game 1 is the Pats*. If anyone can throw a wrench into this plan, it's these guys - unfortunately, unless Edwards is successful, we'll be in a heap of trouble as teams mimic the approach they use and the whole hurry up offense experiment may be torpedoed as quickly as it starts. let's hope not for the team's sake.

And the reason the Bills lost Super Bowls is mostly because Levy and Dickerson didn't play to its strength. When you have a high tempo, powerful offense, your defense can't be bend but don't break. Instead, unless you're as talented as the '85 Bears or the Ravens of a few years back, you take all kinds of chances. Lord knows we had playmakers on that defense - we should have built up a big DL and made folks beat us thru the air. Let 'em score if need be. If our defense was like the Falcons the year they made it to the Superbowl - where they gave up lots of passing yards and points but led the league in turnovers, I truly believe we would have won multiple Super Bowls. Ahh, it's all water under the bridge now. thanks for dredging up those memories. :lol:

They are definitely running it with great pace but I wonder about an unforeseen consequence that kept popping into my head during Saturday's scrimmage vs Chicago.

Did anybody else notice the ridiculously excessive amount of time the OLine was being forced to remain in a set position on nearly every snap? In addition to it ultimately wearing on guys over the course of a season, it's doing them no favors in the short term as it's difficult to stay locked in that set for so long and then be able to come out of it quickly with good form.

I am very worried that when you compound this situation with the likelihood that our guys are going to be somewhat winded by the 4th quarter every week that it's going to lead to problems for the offense. When the foundation of your offense can't explode off the ball and is having trouble playing with good technique during the most critical junctures of the game, you are just begging to lose multiple games late when you can't execute properly.

Then combine this with the fact that the no-huddle will ultimately work to the advantage of the better coached team. I think it's safe to say that I'm not alone in believing that the Bills will be the better-coached team in the majority of their matchups.

I'm having some real concerns as to whether this staff is implementing a sensible strategy or whether they're putting their faith in a gimmick that's just going to blow up in their faces.

They are definitely running it with great pace but I wonder about an unforeseen consequence that kept popping into my head during Saturday's scrimmage vs Chicago.

Did anybody else notice the ridiculously excessive amount of time the OLine was being forced to remain in a set position on nearly every snap? In addition to it ultimately wearing on guys over the course of a season, it's doing them no favors in the short term as it's difficult to stay locked in that set for so long and then be able to come out of it quickly with good form.

I am very worried that when you compound this situation with the likelihood that our guys are going to be somewhat winded by the 4th quarter every week that it's going to lead to problems for the offense. When the foundation of your offense can't explode off the ball and is having trouble playing with good technique during the most critical junctures of the game, you are just begging to lose multiple games late when you can't execute properly.

Good question, Simon. I saw your comment on the game thread and wondered how different the K-Gun was. I think more than anything it requires some incredibly fit linemen - pretty sure the fact we practice it all the time makes it easier. Two other points: as far as the tiredness issue, I have to think that the DL will also lose their push and after a long day of beating on each other, it may help the offense a bit more, especially on pass plays when we primarily use 3-step drops. Secondly, as far as the total amount of time in a set position, I don't think it's that different - the no-huddle gets plays off within 15 or so seconds with the line usually being set for 5-8 seconds. Other than the slower pace, isn't it about the same for a regular huddle offense? Or am I misjudging?

Then combine this with the fact that the no-huddle will ultimately work to the advantage of the better coached team. I think it's safe to say that I'm not alone in believing that the Bills will be the better-coached team in the majority of their matchups.

I'm having some real concerns as to whether this staff is implementing a sensible strategy or whether they're putting their faith in a gimmick that's just going to blow up in their faces.

Two other points: as far as the tiredness issue, I have to think that the DL will also lose their push and after a long day of beating on each other, it may help the offense a bit more, especially on pass plays when we primarily use 3-step drops.

You gotta remember though that it isn't going to be the same DLine in there on every snap throughout the game. Even if they can't run a regular substitution pattern they're still going to be moving guys in and out on different series. All the while the Bills OLine will be out there every snap, frequently set way to long on every play

Secondly, as far as the total amount of time in a set position, I don't think it's that different - the no-huddle gets plays off within 15 or so seconds with the line usually being set for 5-8 seconds. Other than the slower pace, isn't it about the same for a regular huddle offense? Or am I misjudging?

I don't think they're getting plays off in 15 seconds. They seem to be getting to the line in less than 10, getting set, then the QB comes out from center checks the defensive alignment, adjusts the call up and down the line, to both sides of the field and into the backfield as well.

In a traditional offense they might be set for 4-5 seconds at the most, or about the length of the snap count. Right now in addition to the snap count they're also forced to be set for the entire duration of the QB assessment of the D, the time it takes for him to decide on any adjustments and then the time ti takes to relay that adjustment to the entire unit. On Saturday night they were frequently having to stay set for upwards of 10 seconds regardless of who was under center. That's twice as long as normal and I think some cause for concern.