Stallworth suspended for full '09 season

scribo

I think Stallworth's suspension is reasonable. I think Vick should be out at least as long.....come on, the 2 years he was in jail does _not_ count as an NFL suspension. Stallworth committed a crime on one night, that he has dealt with appropriately. Vick was a flat out criminal for many months (years?) and the NFL is only slapping him on the wrist.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never mind the NFL, how about the legal system. The fact that this guy is a free man is a joke. If that was me, they would throw the book at me, no question.

5 million to the family.....

have that and give it the first day, they will be helping you out too.

And a high priced attorney with connections who gives perfect advice and does a masterful job. After the fact, Stallworth did everything exactly right. It is too bad he did not do so well prior to the accident though.

Some people can barely drive a car sober. A .12 BAC is pretty bad why drive a car when you are a best really buzzed. There is no need to operate a vehicle that can kill a person when you are not in the best mental capacity. Call a !@#$ing cab or limo why risk it. Well he did risk it and he should pay because his wreckless actions killed a person. If he did a year or two in jail I wouldn't be opposed to letting him back in but to me as a person who values human life 21 days in jail and a year of your playing time just isn't enough of a punishment.

I know I am asking the league to take justice into its own hands but to me it has to. Stallworth got away with it (Not saying this guy should spend his life in prison but give up a year and a half or two years in prison) because the guy he hit was an illegal and Stallworth could afford the best legal representation as well as settle with the family.

I know Stallworth is a big guy (I will say between 200-220 pounds) but .12 is pretty bad for driving a car. My cousin has a breathalyser (For fun just to see how trashed people get at his house) and I (I am 6 foot 4 and my weight fluctuates between 200-220) at around .1 can start to loose my motor skills not that I am trashed or even drunk at that point but I wouldn't drive a car no way.

At around .12 you are in no shape to drive a car your reaction time is lowered and your motor skills are not as sharp. Like I said why risk it just call a cab or a limo.

I'm not defending Stallworth's actions. He made a terrible decision, a huge mistake, shouldn't have driven, and he deserves to be punished. But a BAC of 0.12 is hardly "trashed beyond all reason." Most people will not, and their friends wont, let them drive when they absolutely obliterated. Chances are that Stallworth was feeling pretty good, but still functioning pretty well. The only 2 people that are stumbling, slurring drunk with a BAC of 0.12 are college freshmen in their first weekend of school and 90 lb women.

As for the punishment, it is 2-fold. The settlement had nothing to do with the criminal charges. The settlement was agreed upon so that the family would agree not to file a CIVIL suit against stallworth. As for the criminal case, blame it on florida law. He only got a month because the jury determined that his DUI was not the main cause of the accidental death. The guy ran out into the road. This could have happened to me, or you, or anyone. Both parties were in the wrong here. It is unfortunate that the man was killed, but stallworth making a bigger mistake doesn't wipeout Reyes' mistake.

I'm not defending Stallworth's actions. He made a terrible decision, a huge mistake, shouldn't have driven, and he deserves to be punished. But a BAC of 0.12 is hardly "trashed beyond all reason." Most people will not, and their friends wont, let them drive when they absolutely obliterated. Chances are that Stallworth was feeling pretty good, but still functioning pretty well. The only 2 people that are stumbling, slurring drunk with a BAC of 0.12 are college freshmen in their first weekend of school and 90 lb women.

As for the punishment, it is 2-fold. The settlement had nothing to do with the criminal charges. The settlement was agreed upon so that the family would agree not to file a CIVIL suit against stallworth. As for the criminal case, blame it on florida law. He only got a month because the jury determined that his DUI was not the main cause of the accidental death. The guy ran out into the road. This could have happened to me, or you, or anyone. Both parties were in the wrong here. It is unfortunate that the man was killed, but stallworth making a bigger mistake doesn't wipeout Reyes' mistake.

If you think the quick settlement and the families plea to then drop everything 'so as not to make their daughter go through the lingering pain of a trial' etc. had nothing to do with the 30 day sentence and immediate resolution, you are naive.

It was absolutely taken into account by the judge who was probably a buddy of the attorney for Stallworth.

The family wanted it over, Stallworth said he would plea, the sentence was as given.... because of 5 million bucks.

If you think the quick settlement and the families plea to then drop everything 'so as not to make their daughter go through the lingering pain of a trial' etc. had nothing to do with the 30 day sentence and immediate resolution, you are naive.

It was absolutely taken into account by the judge who was probably a buddy of the attorney for Stallworth.

The family wanted it over, Stallworth said he would plea, the sentence was as given.... because of 5 million bucks.

Let me know when you decide to pull your head out of your ass and learn the difference between a civil suit and criminal proceedings. Civil suits and/or settlements have no bearing on criminal procedures. That is why they are tried separately.

The short sentence was given because Reyes was also in the wrong and the courts determined that stallworth's drinking wasn't the main cause of the accident. It had nothing to do with the amount he paid in a settlement.

Let me know when you decide to pull your head out of your ass and learn the difference between a civil suit and criminal proceedings. Civil suits and/or settlements have no bearing on criminal procedures. That is why they are tried separately.

The short sentence was given because Reyes was also in the wrong and the courts determined that stallworth's drinking wasn't the main cause of the accident. It had nothing to do with the amount he paid in a settlement.

Ok, so, you are naive.

just because they say there is a line between civl and criminal that isn't crossed does not make it so.

I understand the opposing argument but my rebuttal would be two fold 1- .12 isn't terrible but its high enough to know that your motor skills will be impaired enough that you shouldn't drive (Like I said its a decent buzz for most not close to drunk but not close to sober either). If Stallworth was sober maybe he could have seen the guy coming or he could have beaked enough to injury but not kill the guy.

2- Why did he feel the need to drive home and than drive to breakfast (He could have just called a cab or a limo he has the money)? To me that decision shows he was irresponseable and didn't realize the terrible consequences his actions could have and did have.

To me I don't think Stallworth should have gone to jail for life but 1-2 years would have been enough. I understand it was a accident and there was no intent and the guy did rush out in front of the guy's car but it was his actions which led to those circumstances.

Like I said I know I am asking the NFL to carry out selective justice and do what the justice system should have done. Like I said if I was Goodell I would have given him two seasons (32 games) and send a message that DWI and DUI won't be tolerated in the league. I understand the argument saying I am being unfair and selective (I defended Mike Vicks right to return)

To me I don't think Stallworth should have gone to jail for life but 1-2 years would have been enough. I understand it was a accident and there was no intent and the guy did rush out in front of the guy's car but it was his actions which led to those circumstances.

Florida law disagrees with you. The reason for the light sentence was because the DUI was not the action responsible for the man's death. The courts basically decided that 'a good chance Stallworth would have hit the man even if he'd been sober. The DUI probably played a role in the accident based on hindering Stallworth's reaction times, etc. But, thankfully the law sees a difference between someone running in front of the car of a drunk driver and a drunk driver plowing someone over in a crosswalk at a red light.

Florida law disagrees with you. The reason for the light sentence was because the DUI was not the action responsible for the man's death. The courts basically decided that 'a good chance Stallworth would have hit the man even if he'd been sober. The DUI probably played a role in the accident based on hindering Stallworth's reaction times, etc. But, thankfully the law sees a difference between someone running in front of the car of a drunk driver and a drunk driver plowing someone over in a crosswalk at a red light.

My legal argument should be that the car should never have been on the road in the first place due to the fact that it was being operated by a driver who was (Legally) drunk. I understand that the man jumped out in front of the car so the sentence should have been lighter but to me 24 days is just not enough. I think that a regular DUI/DWI manslaughter should carry 4-8 years in jail. To me at least give the guy a year or two in jail punishing him for being irresponseable yet acknowledgeing that it wasn't completely his fault.

I am not a legal expert so I don't know the laws in Florida but I just feel he got off to easy even under the circumstances.

Wait, so since Stallworth didn't "intend" to kill the man while legally drunk and possibly with drugs in his system, he deserves a slap on the wrist (which is what he's been getting)? And this is the definition of "grown up" thinking? Okay KD in CT, what do you think the "intent" of Lynch's gun was?

Two words, my man, contrbutory negligence! But the 3gamer for Lynch is a joke.

My legal argument should be that the car should never have been on the road in the first place due to the fact that it was being operated by a driver who was (Legally) drunk. I understand that the man jumped out in front of the car so the sentence should have been lighter but to me 24 days is just not enough. I think that a regular DUI/DWI manslaughter should carry 4-8 years in jail. To me at least give the guy a year or two in jail punishing him for being irresponseable yet acknowledgeing that it wasn't completely his fault.

I am not a legal expert so I don't know the laws in Florida but I just feel he got off to easy even under the circumstances.

Ill tell you something, if someone in ma family is affected (knock on wood will never happen) by such a tragedy, I would MUCH prefer it to be a guy who gives my family 5 million bucks and spends 30 days in jail, than a broke ass uninsured fool who gets to spend 3 years in the poke. JMO sorry if anyone is offended

Goodell is doing a great job. Punish the dumb ass thugs. Get these jerks to live clean or you will not play in the NFL, it's simple. I do'nt care if it's our player or not. Lynch is a thug also and if he can't keep his nose clean say goodbye.

Goodell is doing a great job. Punish the dumb ass thugs. Get these jerks to live clean or you will not play in the NFL, it's simple. I do'nt care if it's our player or not. Lynch is a thug also and if he can't keep his nose clean say goodbye.

Then why isn't Vick being punished? You can't tell me having a gun in the trunk is 75% as bad as landing in federal prison, yet Lynch got 3 games and Vick only got 4.

Goodell is just doing whatever he feels like at the moment.

Then why isn't Vick being punished? You can't tell me having a gun in the trunk is 75% as bad as landing in federal prison, yet Lynch got 3 games and Vick only got 4.

Vick got two years and five games. Plus a fine of ALL HIS MONEY.

Vick was way punished harder than Marshawn.

Vick got two years and five games. Plus a fine of ALL HIS MONEY.

Vick was way punished harder than Marshawn.

He was not fined all his money. He had to pay back like 6 million of his signing bonus I believe. He had to pay lawyers due to his criminal actions. I am guessing he blew a ton of money and assumed it was a never ending fount he could tap at will.

Excellent Points

Vick got signed by Philly and has Peters as his left tackle. Punishment is coming hard and fast to his blind side followed by boo's, batteries, and cups of beer. Wait till the first time he flips off the fans in Philly. They will rip off his finger and shove it up his butt.