Who could be the Bills next head coach?

Metal Man

Seems like every year all the Bills fans I know, at least the last decade, start talking about who the Bills could possibly bring in next year to replace the current dud.

Names like Cowher and Parcells and others of that caliber are always coming up in these discussions. A lot of times, especially with Cowher, it seems like a great idea and exactly what the Bills need to seriously make an attempt at turning this thing around. But based on Wilson's track record it seems he would never be willing to part with the money it would take to bring someone high profile like that in to coach the team.

My question is does anyone out there really think it is possible that maybe in his late age he will be open to dropping some serious coin on an awesome coach?

Or are we always going to have a rookie head coach or middle tier guy, and if so who would that be?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like every year all the Bills fans I know, at least the last decade, start talking about who the Bills could possibly bring in next year to replace the current dud.

Names like Cowher and Parcells and others of that caliber are always coming up in these discussions. A lot of times, especially with Cowher, it seems like a great idea and exactly what the Bills need to seriously make an attempt at turning this thing around. But based on Wilson's track record it seems he would never be willing to part with the money it would take to bring someone high profile like that in to coach the team.

My question is does anyone out there really think it is possible that maybe in his late age he will be open to dropping some serious coin on an awesome coach?

Or are we always going to have a rookie head coach or middle tier guy, and if so who would that be?

Welcome aboard. I may need to get a Maiden avatar as well.

But on topic: I would hope RW would pony up some money for Shanahan if DJ tanks this season. He would bring immediate respect to the locker room.

But on topic: I would hope RW would pony up some money for Shanahan if DJ tanks this season. He would bring immediate respect to the locker room.

He'll go cheap ... again ... it's his M.O., so why change now. Even Levy was a cheap hire ... he just got lucky there.

He'll go cheap ... again ... it's his M.O., so why change now. Even Levy was a cheap hire ... he just got lucky there.

Exactly what I am thinking. It seems like he is going to just keep trying to win the coach lottery on rookies or has-beens.

Shanahan would be great though. Maybe as Wilson gets up in age he thinks why not break the bank and just go for it one time....?

Probably just a fantasy though.

Shanahan would be great though. Maybe as Wilson gets up in age he thinks why not break the bank and just go for it one time....?

Probably just a fantasy though.

Just a little education for me ..... because I don't understand the love affair with Shanahan .... and I'm too lazy to goggle it ... how many times the last ten years did Shanny make it to the playoffs?

Just a little education for me ..... because I don't understand the love affair with Shanahan .... and I'm too lazy to goggle it ... how many times the last ten years did Shanny make it to the playoffs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Shanahan...coaching_record

Looks like 4 times since 99 with a couple 3rd place 9-7's thrown in there. Go back a little farther and you have the superbowls too.

I am not saying he would be a savior because he is a g0d among coaches. Just that it would be nice to have someone come in with a proven record of success rather than no resume or one loaded with mediocrity.

Schottenheimer.... we need an ex Bill and some Marty ball in us

Our next head coach will be Bobby April..when Dick flops, he will be replaced at mid season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Shanahan...coaching_record

Looks like 4 times since 99 with a couple 3rd place 9-7's thrown in there. Go back a little farther and you have the superbowls too.

I am not saying he would be a savior because he is a g0d among coaches. Just that it would be nice to have someone come in with a proven record of success rather than no resume or one loaded with mediocrity.

Thanks MM ..... I was familiar with his Super Bowls of course, I just didn't remember anything from him lately. My "taste" in coaches is for someone a little more flamboyant ..... Jeff Fisher ..... Sigeltary kind of guys. Shannahan always struck me as more of a stoic/cold fish kind of personallity ....... of course standing next to DJ ANYONE would look like Robin Williams on speed.

My "taste" in coaches is for someone a little more flamboyant ..... Jeff Fisher ..... Sigeltary kind of guys. Shannahan always struck me as more of a stoic/cold fish kind of personallity ....... of course standing next to DJ ANYONE would look like Robin Williams on speed.

Shanahan wouldn't be my first choice either, but like you said anyone compared to DJ.....

I would prefer someone more in your face too. Someone who gets crazy fired up on the sidelines.

Cowher would be perfect IMO, but I am sure he is waaay out of Buffalo's price range.

Schottenheimer.... we need an ex Bill and some Marty ball in us

Won't happen ...... I heard an interview whith "Shotzy" on Sirius yesterday and they asked him if he would consider getting into coaching again. He gave a definate no way ..... said he was too old and felt that the time had past where he felt he could do the job anymore.

Shanahan wouldn't be my first choice either, but like you said anyone compared to DJ.....

I would prefer someone more in your face too. Someone who gets crazy fired up on the sidelines.

Cowher would be perfect IMO, but I am sure he is waaay out of Buffalo's price range.

Yeah ....... Cowher ..... I'd like that ....... I pick Cowher!!!

It wouldn't surprise me if Bobby April were given a shot, though I would hope the Bills would make a decent offer to a proven head coach with a pedigree. Enough with letting these guys learn "on the job".

The Giants went out and hired retread Coughlin a few years ago, and I don't think there've been any regrets. Rams did the same with Vermeil and got the trophy.

Find a winning coach who already knows the ropes, has had time to recoup and assess himself and past tenure, and make a decent offer. The Bills have a young core of what could be a great team in a year or two. This reminds me of the '86 season. I would think the current roster and potential could be very attractive to somebody like Cowher or another equally talented coach. It's not like it'd be a 3 or 4 year rebuilding process. Stock up in 2010 and 2011 and make an extended playoff run.

Like JP Losman, I have no personal dislike of Jauron, but his record speaks for itself. He's gotta know this is it for him. Playoffs or the unemployment line. And considering the schedule before them, it's a safe bet that he's 4 or 5 months from being out of work.

If a few million is the difference between getting someone like Cowher, or not getting him, all the Bills need to do is look at the millions flushed down the toilet on the likes of Rob Johnson, Drew Bledsoe, JP Losman, Mike Williams, etc., over the past 10 years. What have we got to show for it but a lot of frustration and broken remote controls.

At least with someone like Cowher, you know exactly what you're getting - someone who actually can you get you to the promised land.

If a 10 million dollar* a year coach can get a few million worth of effort out of a lower draft pick or journeyman player, hasn't he justified his salary? He just substituted a low dollar player for an overpaid one, and got the same results. Isn't that essentially what Belichick does? Even when he had an injury-riddled team (often the excuse for Jauron's failure) a few years ago, he was able to continue winning using backups. When a player on his team demanded too much $$, they were allowed to walk, and yet they continue to win.

*I have no clue what top coaches get these days.

Only way if April get the job if Jauron is let go mid -season because of a 1-5 start

Since Schottenhimer does not want to coach anymore I would like to see them bring in Cowher .

Ralph surprised us with TO, he knows his time on earth is short, why not go out trying your best to win a Championship one more time?

If a few million is the difference between getting someone like Cowher, or not getting him, all the Bills need to do is look at the millions flushed down the toilet on the likes of Rob Johnson, Drew Bledsoe, JP Losman, Mike Williams, etc., over the past 10 years. What have we got to show for it but a lot of frustration and broken remote controls.

At least with someone like Cowher, you know exactly what you're getting - someone who actually can you get you to the promised land.

If a 10 million dollar* a year coach can get a few million worth of effort out of a lower draft pick or journeyman player, hasn't he justified his salary? He just substituted a low dollar player for an overpaid one, and got the same results. Isn't that essentially what Belichick does? Even when he had an injury-riddled team (often the excuse for Jauron's failure) a few years ago, he was able to continue winning using backups. When a player on his team demanded too much $$, they were allowed to walk, and yet they continue to win.

*I have no clue what top coaches get these days.

All very good arguments. Please pass them to RW ASAP. :blink:

The last thing the Bills need is Marty ball. All that play not to loose crap instead of going for the jugular. Shannahan has always had a good O and strong running game. His teams have struggled when their D is at the bottom of the league. Add in the fact he could oversee our draft room and FA acquisitions, he would be a great fit. Same things could be said about Cowher.