List of Bills draft picks still in the NFL

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take Winfield over Nate.

You would, fellow midget & all.

I don't mean to be a jerk but Nate was WAY over paid by San Fran. This was actually one of the good decisions we made to not pay a guy and let him go. Winfield is a GOOD CB and flat out even better football player. The guy is ridiculous in run support and doesn't miss a tackle. Didn't he lead the Bills one year in tackles as a CB? We screwed the pooch on that guy BIG TIME!

Maybe if we paid him, we wouldn't have to spend so many picks in the draft each year on CB's!!!

In a few years I can see this guy making an EASY conversion to safety given his tackling and run support ability and extending his career another few years!!!

I don't mean to be a jerk but Nate was WAY over paid by San Fran. This was actually one of the good decisions we made to not pay a guy and let him go. Winfield is a GOOD CB and flat out even better football player. The guy is ridiculous in run support and doesn't miss a tackle. Didn't he lead the Bills one year in tackles as a CB? We screwed the pooch on that guy BIG TIME!

Maybe if we paid him, we wouldn't have to spend so many picks in the draft each year on CB's!!!

In a few years I can see this guy making an EASY conversion to safety given his tackling and run support ability and extending his career another few years!!!

Again, Clements was NOT overpaid. Leaving out the last year of the contract, which was $16 mill, and possibly the second-last year, which is $10 mill, it's only $7.1 mill / year, which is very reasonable.

Again, Clements was NOT overpaid. Leaving out the last year of the contract, which was $16 mill, and possibly the second-last year, which is $10 mill, it's only $7.1 mill / year, which is very reasonable.

From rotoworld regarding Nates contract. 3/2/2007: Signed an eight-year, $80 million contract.

In the details section it does show it's one of those escalating contracts where they make a lot more money per year on the backend but on the surface it looks like a $10 mil a year deal. Perhaps a bit strong to say they WAY over paid for him.

The point I guess is more about that I feel Whitner was pretty much as good in coverage and is arguably the best CB in the league against the run and tackling.

How many picks does Polian, Jerry Reese, Kevin Colbert, Belichick, AJ Smith, Ozzie Newsome, and a few others get wrong. Their percentage of hits isn't 100%, but it's better than many teams. Talent evaluators are not all created equal.

It easy to get one wrong because their are so many factors in how or why they fail to live up to expectations, but it's hard to get them right. They guys who get them right hit when they take chances. It's not just the number one's that actually live up to the billing, but the 2nd and one guys who they manage to pluck out of the draft.

For example, Polian has Thurman Thomas, Ted Donahue has Willis McGahee. Polian traded out of the #3 pick in 1987 to grab Shane Conlan at #8, and with his acquired extra pick took Nate Odoms at #36. Need I bring up the McCargo deal? Polian drafted HOFers.

Same thing with Newsome. For every Kyle Boller, he's got Jonathan Ogden (future HOF) and Ray Lewis (future HOF) back-to-back in the same draft, plus Ed Reed (future HOF), Jamal Lewis, Todd Heap, etc.

Point is, while the list of players that are not playing for the Bills isn't impressive, neither is the one that still are on the roster. At least guys like Polian, Newsome, Belichick, etc. have either drafted and developed their first round talent, or found legitimate stars in the later rounds. That hasn't happened in Buffalo in over a decade.

I think that's a pretty impressive list. All those players are good enough to play in this league. That's why we draft them. You've got 21 plus our 36, that's 57 over 10 years or so? approximately 6 players per year stick in the league?

excellent.

Aye the only way this would mean something if you were to map it out on a per round basis and a total for all teams and calculate how many stuck percentage wise. A better way of measuring the scouting department is UDFA success imho.

Still even though the list on itself is meaningless it's a fun list.

I counted 21 total. Let me know if I missed any others. Obviously this list will shrink some after all of the final roster cuts:

Antoine Winfield, CB, 1999 (Minnesota)

Sammy Morris, RB, 2000 (New England)*

Nate Clements, CB, 2001 (San Francisco)

Jimmy Williams, CB, 2001 (Houston)

Ron Edwards, DT, 2001 (Kansas City)

Mike Williams, OT, 2002 (Washington)

Coy Wire, S, 2002 (Atlanta)

Justin Bannan, DT, 2002 (Baltimore)

Rodney Wright, WR, 2002 (Kansas City)

Willis McGahee, RB, 2003 (Baltimore)

Mario Haggan, LB, 2003 (Denver)

Sam Aiken, WR, 2003 (New England)*

Angelo Crowell, LB, 2003 (Tampa Bay)

Tim Anderson, DT, 2004 (Dallas)

Duke Preston, C, 2005 (Green Bay)

Eric King, CB, 2005 (Detroit)

Justin Geisinger, G, 2005 (Carolina)

Terrance Pennington, T, 2006 (New York Giants)

Dwayne Wright, RB, 2007 (New York Giants)

C.J. Ah You, DE, 2007 (St. Louis)

Kennard Cox, S, 2008 (Jacksonville)

Only 8 of the 21 are in the AFC.

Theories, anyone? :rolleyes:

Aye the only way this would mean something if you were to map it out on a per round basis and a total for all teams and calculate how many stuck percentage wise. A better way of measuring the scouting department is UDFA success imho.

Still even though the list on itself is meaningless it's a fun list.

UDFA's are great bargains to get but eventually you've got to pay them. In my opinion drafts and UDFAs should be measured by how many stars and or pro bowlers you end up with. Role players and roster place holders can be found anywhere and in free agency. Difference makers are what help you win championships!

correct me if if I'm wrong but I think Duke Preston got cut by Green Bay.

You are correct. See post #21 in this thread.

The total number of Bills draft picks still in the NFL, as it stands now, is at 54 (33 on the Bills roster, 2 on the Bills practice squad, and 19 on other teams in some capacity).

And while this was meant to be nothing more than an interesting "FWIW" thread, I will opine that the only player on that list whom I regret the Bills didn't keep is Antoine Winfield.

I counted 21 total. Let me know if I missed any others. Obviously this list will shrink some after all of the final roster cuts:

Sammy Morris, RB, 2000 (New England)

Sam Aiken, WR, 2003 (New England)

Weren't Pennington and Tiny Tim just cut?

Sammy Morris, RB, 2000 (New England)

Sam Aiken, WR, 2003 (New England)

I'm confused about the entire premise.

You don't count the draft picks that worked to the point that the team kept them...and are only basing it on picks who stuck with other teams?

I don't even know what that would mean if the number was high or low. You've thrown out the most important aspect.

I'm confused about the entire premise.

You don't count the draft picks that worked to the point that the team kept them...and are only basing it on picks who stuck with other teams?

I don't even know what that would mean if the number was high or low. You've thrown out the most important aspect.

Please read the topic title, topic description, date at which this thread was started, post #21, and post #33.