Sabres sign Grier

Indy Dave

Interesting blurb from a Senators propaganda state run rumor site. How reliable slash accurate this may be is up for debate. But the ALLEGED offer REPORTEDLY to exist MAY or MAY NOT involve the Sabres. Im over-qualifying so it doesn't look like I know for sure this is true.

http://www.senschirp.ca/

"It sounds like the Buffalo Sabres may have tabled the best offer throughout all of this but its highly unlikely Dany would accept a move to Buffalo. It certainly would do wonders for the Senators/Sabres rivalry that's for sure. But like many of you have pointed out Buffalo is sort of the Edmonton of the Eastern Conference and not exactly an attractive place to play.

Their offer apparently included Derek Roy, Dan Paille and Tyler Myers. That is just a rumour at this point but that sounds like a heck of an offer to me."

Interesting. I wouldn't do it. But that is a very fair offer for Heatley. I know the Sabres brass are really high on Myers from everything I've read/heard on XM/WGR. So, its certainly something to think about.

The guy who runs this site goes by the name JC and he's got a rumour mill average of about 75% when it comes to the Sens. He broke the news of the Kovalev signing almost 3 hours before the mainstream media picked it up, he broke the Vermette for Leclaire trade and he's always the first to announce internal contract signing extensions. This guy has got some sources inside the organization (if he doesn't work there himself).

He reported the first SJ deal of Erhoff, Cheechoo and a 1st for Heatley that he mainstream media picked up a week later. Good chance that he's right here too.

I had heard thru the grapevine that the Sabres were trying to sign Zherdev but once he made it clear he was heading back to Russia, Heatley became their plan "B".

As for the trade, I'd make that deal in a minute. Roy is a local boy from Gatineau, Paille is solid and Myers, if he fills out, could be the Canadian Chara....I just can't see why Buffalo would give him up and not Cassian or their 1st next year instead. You build around Myers.

Oh don't get me wrong it sucks compared to the rest of the Bay Area. It's just not bad compared to Buffalo.

San Jose sucks. I'd take Buffalo over it in a heart beat. However if we're talking 30 minutes north, west or south.... that may be a different story.

I'm glad Grier is back. I really felt we missed him the last couple years.

I am glad they braught Grier back, but IIRC, he took some slams at team management, or at least Darcy, when he left, saying that he didn't sense that the franchise was as committed to winning as it was in saving money. I don't think he was wrong, but I am a little surprised (but happy) that they made this signing. Grier is a little up and down offensively, but he is the kind of night in and night out grinder the Sabres need more of...

Watching him on the Sharks the last couple seasons this doesn't seem to be true anymore. He can be very effective at times but those games seem pretty infrequent. Frustrating for me to watch because I know he can be better. He has had a long career and I can't help but think he is just playing out the string for cash. Wife is very hot btw. Sat a row behind her in a game I went too last season.

I like the move. The guy hustles all over the ice. He makes it difficult for other teams to dominate as was typical with the Sabres over the last couple of years. He isn't afraid to belt out some hits, forecheck and get the puck moving up ice. No, his points have never been significant. But Grier creates disarray for the opposition. With Myers, Kassian, Grier and Kaleta, the Sabres are changing into a team with less finesse and more rugged play. As is the league.

I am surprised with the move as the team seems to close on players after departures such as with Peca.

No to the Heatley rumors. It would be out of character for the team to pursue such a salary and damaging to the overall roster. The move would add one very good scorer but at what cost. No thanks.

Interesting blurb from a Senators propaganda state run rumor site. How reliable slash accurate this may be is up for debate. But the ALLEGED offer REPORTEDLY to exist MAY or MAY NOT involve the Sabres. Im over-qualifying so it doesn't look like I know for sure this is true.

http://www.senschirp.ca/

"It sounds like the Buffalo Sabres may have tabled the best offer throughout all of this but its highly unlikely Dany would accept a move to Buffalo. It certainly would do wonders for the Senators/Sabres rivalry that's for sure. But like many of you have pointed out Buffalo is sort of the Edmonton of the Eastern Conference and not exactly an attractive place to play.

Their offer apparently included Derek Roy, Dan Paille and Tyler Myers. That is just a rumour at this point but that sounds like a heck of an offer to me."

Interesting. I wouldn't do it. But that is a very fair offer for Heatley. I know the Sabres brass are really high on Myers from everything I've read/heard on XM/WGR. So, its certainly something to think about.

That rumor makes absolutely zero sense for the Sabres. Sure, it would bring in Heatley, but this team is short on centers already. They make that one and Connolly is the only top end center left on the team. The risk there is through the roof.

I like the move. The guy hustles all over the ice. He makes it difficult for other teams to dominate as was typical with the Sabres over the last couple of years. He isn't afraid to belt out some hits, forecheck and get the puck moving up ice. No, his points have never been significant. But Grier creates disarray for the opposition. With Myers, Kassian, Grier and Kaleta, the Sabres are changing into a team with less finesse and more rugged play. As is the league.

Kassian is at best two years away. He will never play with Grier. Myers more than likely won't either.

Looking at the article posted below, those comments definitely weren't slams at management as he left. They've been exaggerated over the years. Nothing new there.

This team desperately needs a shut down line and hopefully this will help out in that department. Any combination of Grier-Gaustad-Hecht-Paille seems a hell of a lot better than anything they were throwing out there last year.

No, I am pretty sure he slammed Sabres management, in reference to the fact that it was pretty clear that they were choosing not to make Briere an offer...at the time, IIRC, the Sabres had not made any move to sign Drury either. Being that Drury and Grier were buddies, I would imagine the two of them talked about wtf the Sabres were up to.

He may have backed off on it (that does happen), but I am pretty sure he made those comments, and when he left Buffalo he referenced the "direction that the team was heading in". Now mind you, I am sure he would have stayed, had the Sabres offered him mad cash...

That rumor makes absolutely zero sense for the Sabres. Sure, it would bring in Heatley, but this team is short on centers already. They make that one and Connolly is the only top end center left on the team. The risk there is through the roof.

Kassian is at best two years away. He will never play with Grier. Myers more than likely won't either.

It is a little soon for Kassian and who knows how long Grier will be with the team. I believe that I read somewhere that either Myers plays with the Sabres this year or he goes back to his junior team.

I do like the plan (if it is the plan) of the Sabres getting more nasty.

No, I am pretty sure he slammed Sabres management, in reference to the fact that it was pretty clear that they were choosing not to make Briere an offer...at the time, IIRC, the Sabres had not made any move to sign Drury either. Being that Drury and Grier were buddies, I would imagine the two of them talked about wtf the Sabres were up to.

The Drury-Grier thing is a bit over-exaggerated. They were never as close as most would like to think.

The Drury-Grier thing is a bit over-exaggerated. They were never as close as most would like to think.

Maybe so, but it ends up, after doing some research, Griers' comments about the Sabres lack of dedication to winning came in a radio interview... I also think it is pretty likely that when all became free agents, Grier and Drury talked...even if it was just as teammates...