Why all the hating?

Listen, you know I'm not the most positive of Bills fans, but I have to wonder about all the hating on the Bills after that game. They moved the ball reasonably well. Could they have performed better in the red zone? Absetively. But I get the feeling that will come with time. Couldn't be more excited about T.O.! How nice is it to see a big target crossing over the middle and actually making the catch? One area of concern was the Defense, though. They looked just like they did at the end of last year, that is to say out of position. Still, it's VERY early to be casting judgement on the team. I think if the no-huddle is given the chance to work, it could prove to be very beneficial to the team and if T.O. can contribute just the same numbers hae had in Dallas, we'll see an improved Bills team this year. GO BILLS!

****thud****

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean the several years where the Oilers were vagabonds wandering Tennessee waiting for their new stadium to be built? Yeah, Fisher was 8-8 during those years. In 14 full seasons, Fisher has had 4 losing seasons, a .557 winning percentage, and led his team to the playoffs 6 times. He has 5 playoff wins and a Super Bowl appearance. He also works for one of the original AFL owners. Fisher has developed his own coaching tree in the NFL as well.

The one season that Jauron had a similar vagabond situation, when the Bears were renovating Soldier Field, his team went 4-12. (But, it wasn't his fault! Who could expect anything more under such horrible conditions?) In 8 full seasons, Jauron has had 7 losing seasons, a .429 winning percentage, and led his team to the playoffs 1 time. He's never come close to winning a playoff game.

The two are virtually indistinguishable. :thumbsup:

I wasn't making any comparisons to Jauron if that's what you're implying. I'm making a comparison to the fans.

I've always liked Fisher as a coach and defended him on many occassions when he had a team built for mediocrity. Amazing what having better players can do. Discounting 1994, when he took over for Pardee, Fisher was 7-9 and 8-8 BEFORE they relocated and then 8-8 and 8-8 for the first two season they played in TN waiting for their new home to be built. But he never used having to wait for a stadium as an excuse. Nor should he have. Why would you or anyone use that as an excuse when he didn't?

GO BILLS!!!

I wasn't making any comparisons to Jauron if that's what you're implying. I'm making a comparison to the fans.

I've always liked Fisher as a coach and defended him on many occassions when he had a team built for mediocrity. Amazing what having better players can do. Discounting 1994, when he took over for Pardee, Fisher was 7-9 and 8-8 BEFORE they relocated and then 8-8 and 8-8 for the first two season they played in TN waiting for their new home to be built. But he never used having to wait for a stadium as an excuse. Nor should he have. Why would you or anyone use that as an excuse when he didn't?

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not covering Jeff Fisher's ass. I don't need to. The guy is a great coach and he hasn't always had "better players" than Jauron. His focus has been in controlling the trenches and having tough (mentally and physically) players that play aggressively.

My comment was to the Jauron apologists that 1) ignore his unsuccessful years in Chicago by papering it over with excuses such as the "team played 16 road games" and "never had any talent at all" and 2) take a string of lean years by a Hall-of-Fame coach such as Tom Landry and extrapolate that Dick Jauron is gonna turn the corner any second now and transform into a Hall-of-Fame caliber coach. 7 losing seasons out of 8 puts him well off-center of the bell curve of coaches, for sure. But it is emphatically on the side with those like Kotite, Campbell, and Bennett rather than the side where Landry, Halas, Lombardi, and Noll reside.

Bingo.

While, yes many still need to perfect the act of hating, there is little doubt that we're in store for another season where the best performances are saved for Fridays.

I think it was time well spent to travel to Ohio to see if your kicker can still make a 52 yd FG when the game is not on the line, rather than test out a random 4th & 5 play on the 35. Heavens, you don't want to give Belichick any scouting hints.

It's not about the plays, game planning, or conditioning at this point. It's all about attitude and steps to preparation for the real thing.

Too bad we can't watch the team on Fridays.

Couldn't agree more here. I don't understand why select fans believe DJ will change his coaching ways or improve in this, the ninth season as a HC. He's made it this far in the NFL, why change now?

We all know winning the HOF Game is meaningless when opening day rolls around. Sunday night Jeff Fisher displayed the audacity and conviction that the Bills HC has never exemplified I'm not talking about yelling or screaming on the sidelines, but a tactical superiority to the guy facing him. I have never felt that DJ outcoaches anyone and even young guys like Sparano made him look ill-equipped to lead a NFL team last season. It's little wonder his record against teams which finish above .500 is so putrid.

BTW, glad you enjoyed your time in Canton. It did truly become a "home game" from what I saw.

Jauron's had since 2006 to get something together. It's not like this team suddenly materialized last night. Compared to the 2006 team, they seem to be a little better in the passing game, but worse in the running game and pressuring the opponent's QB.

Why do the Bills always look spectacularly outcoached, whether it's the 1st pre-season game, or the shutout on week 17?

Hopefully, Maybin is a superhero, or else The Razor will be bedlam on 9/14.

I was never a big fan of your posts - probably because most were just the basic offseason crap that everyone tries to occupy theirs minds with until real football (or a semblence of real football, as we have now) begins, but also, for some reason, I never liked your balck and gray avatar. Let me just say, not only is your avatar much-improved, but your quote is from one of the greatest movies, and by the best character in that movie, of all time. Good adjustment.

As far as your post, I actually think the running game is just as good as it was in 2006 and the passing game appears to be leaps and bounds better. Absolutely correct that the pass rush was better back then, but I have to say our D-line was weaker overall that season than they are now. The DTs that year were rough and the DEs were the same people except for Hargrove (all 11 of him).

Also, as far as your out-coached comments, I don't think they game plan for these pre-season games, so it's hard to say that we got "out-coached" when our coach (and possibly theirs) was not trying. I think a good indication of the coaching is the no-huddle offense, which looked a lot better than I thought it would. To be honest, I figured they would come out in no-huddle for three first three plays. Then after they punted and got the ball back they would start to huddle. So this was a pleasant surprise for me.

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds..."

"I'm your huckleberry."

Possibly. But since it's a 4 o clock start, that makes it hard. I need to be at work that Monday and it's a LONG trip home.

Eh, some of the guys we hung out with Sunday showed up solely to tailgate and blew off the game. Come to think of it, there were games I wished I'd done the same thing ...

I've seen a lot of stupidity over the years of posting on this board, so yours isn't exactly new. :unsure:

Joe stupidity? Really? I'll be sure to file in line like the rest.

IIRC i stated that they looked slow. You can't teach speed. I was mainly refering to the D-line/Ends. Is that stupidity?

You're probably a really cool guy but your opinion isn't the end all be all.

:unsure:

I was never a big fan of your posts - probably because most were just the basic offseason crap that everyone tries to occupy theirs minds with until real football (or a semblence of real football, as we have now) begins, but also, for some reason, I never liked your balck and gray avatar. Let me just say, not only is your avatar much-improved, but your quote is from one of the greatest movies, and by the best character in that movie, of all time. Good adjustment.

As far as your post, I actually think the running game is just as good as it was in 2006 and the passing game appears to be leaps and bounds better. Absolutely correct that the pass rush was better back then, but I have to say our D-line was weaker overall that season than they are now. The DTs that year were rough and the DEs were the same people except for Hargrove (all 11 of him).

Also, as far as your out-coached comments, I don't think they game plan for these pre-season games, so it's hard to say that we got "out-coached" when our coach (and possibly theirs) was not trying. I think a good indication of the coaching is the no-huddle offense, which looked a lot better than I thought it would. To be honest, I figured they would come out in no-huddle for three first three plays. Then after they punted and got the ball back they would start to huddle. So this was a pleasant surprise for me.

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds..."

"I'm your huckleberry."

Well, shucks...your avatar is swell too...do I get a gold star on my report card?

Also, as far as your out-coached comments, I don't think they game plan for these pre-season games, so it's hard to say that we got "out-coached" when our coach (and possibly theirs) was not trying.

Over Jauron's tenure, he's decidedly an abject failure, absent the outrider playoff appearance (which immediately fizzled). The guy is an embarrassment as far as running an NFL team. His only virtue is that his mediocrely-coached players like (or, in Edward's case, love) him.

Well, shucks...your avatar is swell too...do I get a gold star on my report card?

Over Jauron's tenure, he's decidedly an abject failure, absent the outrider playoff appearance (which immediately fizzled). The guy is an embarrassment as far as running an NFL team. His only virtue is that his mediocrely-coached players like (or, in Edward's case, love) him.

But...but...his players truly love him...

Mark my words: Bobby April will be head coach of this team before the season is done.

Ralph has done this, I think two times during his time in Buffalo. They were both disasters, with the teams not getting better at all, and in fact possibly getting worse. He has said that he will never do it again.

If we are bad, Jauron will last the season, but then will be gone.

I'm not covering Jeff Fisher's ass. I don't need to. The guy is a great coach and he hasn't always had "better players" than Jauron. His focus has been in controlling the trenches and having tough (mentally and physically) players that play aggressively.

My comment was to the Jauron apologists that 1) ignore his unsuccessful years in Chicago by papering it over with excuses such as the "team played 16 road games" and "never had any talent at all" and 2) take a string of lean years by a Hall-of-Fame coach such as Tom Landry and extrapolate that Dick Jauron is gonna turn the corner any second now and transform into a Hall-of-Fame caliber coach. 7 losing seasons out of 8 puts him well off-center of the bell curve of coaches, for sure. But it is emphatically on the side with those like Kotite, Campbell, and Bennett rather than the side where Landry, Halas, Lombardi, and Noll reside.

Fisher is a great coach. But he has had better players than Jauron virtually every year. And when he didn't, his teams didn't win. Jauron has made some bad decisions, but if you think that his record hasn't been affected by the fact that he hasn't had much talent on the field through most of his career, you're letting your emotions blind you.

This year, we finally get a mix of offensive skill players that actually look dangerous ... and we tear up and re-plant a new o-line. This is not good.

Though I don't think the team played "badly" as a whole. My main gripe with this team is that there is an utter lack of intensity and passion on both sides of the ball. When your rookies turn up the juice (ie. Nic Harris) in comparison to say your veteran D-line, it just speaks volumes as to how this team is coached.

True, we didn't scheme and game plan. At least it looked like we didn't. What was disturbing is that, at least to me, their man beat up our man one on one almost every time. Be it our rookies or veterans. To me that says this team is just a "we'll try hard" group of guys and not a "we'll kick your a**" team.

That ain't never gonna cut it in the NFL and definitely not in the rugged AFC East. After 4 years I think we deserve so much more. Don't you?

C

It is one preseason game ... the offense played one series and looked good until Levitre didn't get enough leverage on his block forcing TE to make a bad throw (but Levitre came off the field ticked at himself and when he went back in he showed why he has great promise) ... TO is the real thing ... and there are way too many Wall posters who want to find the negative in every player rather than seeing their promise. Let's see what the team looks like in a couple of weeks.

But, what totally frustrates me and most of us is the Bills' classic no ethusiasm 'I am a pro attitude' on the field. No fire in the gut ... no desire to show the world how good the team but instead there is a philosophy of not pushing the button and just gliding along; the 'let the other team make more mistakes so we can win' approach rather than take it to them! There were butt kickers on our championship teams ... we rolled up the score on the Raiders long after we had the game won ... the Talley's and Kelly's of the world were always wanting more.

That being said ... look at the new players ... Wood is a true beast and ready to take on all comers!! What a refreshing young man and Levitre has some of that same intensity. Harris had a great game hitting people everywhere as did last year's rookie Bowen! We all know that one thing TO brings is a willingness to speak out if the team is laying back so Turk better have a system designed for points in place or else the national media will be hearing TO's rants.

So ... instead of being the undermining force of negativeness we need to look at the possibilities. We have gotten rid of some of the players w/o heart and there is hope and possibility ahead. Let's hope that fires get lit and we see some butt kicking football this year!